1 2
Rigante
Rigante New Reader
10/26/21 8:26 a.m.

or just use an Audi 2wd transaxle, same as they do in the boxster. They come in many flavours, 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/26/21 8:46 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

We have an Elva build thread. Look at project cars updates on the Classic Motorsports site.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/26/21 9:18 a.m.

Is there a handy website where I can peruse various VW transaxle gear ratios?

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/26/21 10:10 a.m.

I've always wanted to know, do you need to flip the ring gear if you use the gearbox inverted like the Hewland gearboxes?  Is the reason to flip the ring gear solely to keep the input shaft above the diff for the flat engine applications?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/26/21 10:11 a.m.

Looks like I am going to need a couple of early VW axles to cut down and spline. Anyone either have some, or know if I would be better to start off with new ones. While I would rather start with new, so many of the VW parts are cheap crap.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner New Reader
10/26/21 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Maybe check the technical section of TheSamba.com  Pretty much largest aircooled site.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/21 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

If KCW has some, I can deliver to Vegas next week. I'll be driving right past their shop on Thursday.

https://kustomcoachwerks.com 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/26/21 1:07 p.m.

In reply to RoddyMac17 :

You flip the ring gear if you're changing from the stock rear engine configuration to a mid-engine one because turning the transmission around creates a one forward/four reverse gear situation.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/26/21 1:15 p.m.
Rigante
Rigante New Reader
10/26/21 2:43 p.m.

are you still running the beetle engine?

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/26/21 2:47 p.m.

You flip the ring gear if you're changing from the stock rear engine configuration to a mid-engine one because turning the transmission around creates a one forward/four reverse gear situation.

Is that just to keep the input shaft above the output, as in the "stock" location?  If you were to invert the gearbox (flip it upside down) then turn it front to back, wouldn't that keep it as 4 forward and 1 reverse and not need to flip the ring gear?    

Rigante
Rigante Reader
10/26/21 2:57 p.m.

or use a reverse rotation engine, some Hondas run the other way

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/21 2:58 p.m.

Flipped you will run on the wrong side of the ring, think any 4x4 front end that is not high pinion. Flipping also could create some oiling issues.

Rigante
Rigante Reader
10/26/21 3:15 p.m.

Audi 01E comes in 2wd and no flipping required

Mr_Asa
10/26/21 3:19 p.m.
Rigante said:

are you still running the beetle engine?

Me?  If I go ahead with this, very much no.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/26/21 3:22 p.m.
RoddyMac17 said:

Is that just to keep the input shaft above the output, as in the "stock" location?  If you were to invert the gearbox (flip it upside down) then turn it front to back, wouldn't that keep it as 4 forward and 1 reverse and not need to flip the ring gear?    

Correct, but doing that also changes the height of the engine from the ground, too. You may or may not want that.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/21 3:48 p.m.
Rigante said:

Audi 01E comes in 2wd and no flipping required

I need one for my Opel. 

Rigante
Rigante Reader
10/26/21 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

so why use an old trans that needs modification when modern VW audi 2wd stuff would work? 

Mr_Asa
10/26/21 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Rigante :

Because they very specifically won't work for what I have planned.  Cost, weight, complexity, all of that is not something I want for this project.

I still need to sit down and check gear ratios and all, but things are looking good.

Mr_Asa
10/26/21 8:01 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

Nice.  I should be able to use that to figure out what I want to do.  Of course, there might be a possibility I won't be able to use the ideal trans for it.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/27/21 1:49 p.m.

Here's what the brake pieces look like.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/27/21 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

That's really cool.  Looks like someone took a drill to a solid axle backing plate.  Is it a aftermarket solution or some modified stock pieces?  Looks aluminum so should be fun If you have to recreate all the holes.  

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/28/21 3:29 p.m.

A swing axle Type 1 transmission can be run upsidedown. A lot of mid-engine rails go about it that way. I've been out of the ACVW game a while and forget why they don't use the IRS transmissions upsidedown.

Mr_Asa
10/28/21 4:37 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

I have a bad habit of holding my projects pretty tight to the chest until I'm ready to start moving on them.  Also, still doing math to even see if this will work. 

Stay tuned, I guess?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xs46heEwoC59jMkPoaidmTEyXePQwuvcNiyyb7tlKqESge9OIITTtBdRuRK7bJPr