1 2
B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/22 8:23 p.m.

Die With Memories Not Dreams. 

At 31 I wouldn't say that I'm anywhere close to the end of my life. But if there is one thing that I have learned over my years is that you truly - Never know. -  There are a lot of sayings out there intended to keep us focused on living our best life, living like we are dying, and soaking up every moment of life. I have always wanted to do that....  In many ways, I have. 

Truth be told... I learned a lot of that from my dad. When you are a kid you watch, listen and learn. With my dad, we did a ton of listening. He has incredible stories and he is damn good at telling them. If I'm being honest, as a kid there were moments when I didn't appreciate his storytelling ability nor did I fully understand how epic some of his adventures were. They seemed normal to me as a kid growing up in an upper-middle-class home. But little by little. Story by Story. These were more than stories. Though they were true. They were Legends

Today I realize these stories shaped me. They shaped my development as a man, an adventurer, and a gear head. 

The Legends of my Father are worth sharing. I don't want to miss the opportunity to gather them for myself and share them with others. Maybe, just maybe, they will inspire you to experience your own adventures in motoring. To dream a little.. to tell better stories.. and to die with memories and not dreams

A few weeks ago we found out my Dad has cancer... But I have always known my dad has stories to tell. So for now. We will focus on the good... On the legends... and the cars, people, and adventures that have shaped my life and his.

The doctors feel pretty good about his outlook and I'm doing everything I can to keep him positive. In fact, I think this project will do just that. My goal is to interview my dad and write blog-style posts about each of these core memories, cars, and legends he shared over the years. 

The types of things you can expect to hear about: 

SCCA racing, Importing rare cars from Japan, drag racing turbo Hayabusa, Street racing, building an Jag XK120 from boxes to scca race, building a 12-second Q45 starting one of the largest car clubs/ forums in the world, 1000hp Skylines, Busa Powered sports racer, BMW 2002s, Rare and fast motorcycles, MX hair scrambles, pit crewing for professional racing teams and much more. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 8:24 p.m.

This sounds awesome. Sorry to hear of his illness, hopefully it's just a speed bump. 

B13Birk
10/20/22 8:29 p.m.

Here is just a bit of a teaser for some of the stuff in my dad's collection. Each one, has a great story to go with it. 

The 1965 NSU Wankel Spider - A write-up on him and this car was in classic motorsports a while back. 

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/we-had-mazda-rx-7-nsu-gave-us-their-rotary-powered/?utm_content=buffer41dcc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=CMSFacebook&fbclid=IwAR1yyiXyCVXqR3c-YjBITGp6fuZ6xEvcMU8D6aXcaBekx176IJX5YdMqvvM

The 1968 Nissan Silvia - A write-up on him and this car was in classic motorsports a while back. 

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/rare-original-nissan-silvia/?utm_content=bufferfbf95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=CMSFacebook&fbclid=IwAR2R9uf6cuGN4kOq5N69NCNhE1K0Ver7QPWBXzzoXdHCv93tdePxUEqHX0E

B13Birk
10/20/22 8:33 p.m.

We just had a photographer come out and take pictures of the NSU. I hope these get you excited for all that is to come. This car has been in the family collection for roughly 20 years and it has an incredible story. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/20/22 8:50 p.m.

Sorry to hear about his cancer - hope for a quick recovery.  

I spent a lot of time with my dad his last few years and oddly earlier this week I was missing him a lot but his stories were a good reminder.   

Bring on those 2002's.

B13Birk
10/20/22 9:03 p.m.
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/22 9:43 p.m.

Sorry about your dad's diagnosis. This thread is already awesome, just like your dad. He needs to join us here once he kicks Cs ass!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 9:47 p.m.
B13Birk said:

^This is Wisdom that needs to be repeated.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/21/22 5:26 a.m.

Your father touched my life in the form of a dark green Infiniti Q45. After me, it went on to touch Patrick's life too when I sold it to him.  

You've shared that with him as I've shared it with you but please be sure to thank him for me, again and know we are all thinking of him.  

His hand in NICO is a great achievement, too!  Thank him for that too. It's a great resource. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/21/22 2:16 p.m.

In a more positive vein, cancer is less of a death sentence than it used to be .   Treatment now consists of ways to use the bodies own immune system to beat cancer rather than the past methods which used deadly poisons in an attempt to kill the cancer before it killed the patient.  
  This is a case where you need the best doctors who are up to date on cancer treatment. 
  My brother-in-law was detected with stage 4 cancer and today he's been cancer free for 3 years.  ( 5 is considered cured) 

That aside he needs a positive outlook to remain strong.  So share our hopes and prayers with him.   

B13Birk
10/21/22 7:03 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Super kind man. I absolutely will. You already know both of those stories will be told well (I hope) in this thread. The Q45 is the first one I'm going to do. Fun fact. I now have the original gauge cluster in the garage from the Green q45. I got if from the guy who bought the white one from Patrick. 

Patrick
10/21/22 7:57 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

Kuma insisted taking the cluster from the green Q to you guys. I still have the engine and 5 speed that were in it when it came to me. There was also a fresh crisp old style $20 bill in the middle of the owner's manual. Not sure if your dad put it there, but if so thanks! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/22/22 9:22 a.m.

That's too cool. I didn't realize that a piece of the green when back to your dad! 

B13Birk
10/24/22 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'll have to ask my dad about that. That honestly sounds like something he would do. 

That engine has some fancy cams in it. I believe they were a custom cut from JWT. Ill have to confirm. 

I wish I knew what happened to the auto-trans that was in there. That was a heavily modified trans form Level10

B13Birk
10/24/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yep! I have it displayed In my garage alongside other parts off cars we have had over the years that are no longer with us. LOL

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 11:38 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your dad. 

I would suggest getting out the video camera and getting as much as you can on the record. We have been doing that with the elders in the family for decades. Get them recorded before those stories are lost and forgotten. 

Edit to say, if you have aunts and uncles, get them in there too.

B13Birk
12/11/22 8:28 p.m.

"And when I'm gone you can call me foolish, but hopefully not boring.... I will have lived" - David Freiburger. 

I haven't know how to write this next post. I have been putting it off. As I type these words it honestly hurts too bad to want to continue. BUT. This project was something my dad was extremely excited about. So I must press on nonetheless. 

My Dad Rex Passed away on December 2nd at the age of 65. It was totally sudden. His cancer treatment had just finished a few days earlier. He was doing great. But he caught an infection that his body was too tired from treatment to fight and he didn't make it. I never got the chance to say goodbye. I'm absolutely heartbroken. 

There were so many plans we had. So many projects to finish and 12 things on our bucket list left to check off. 

And yet. 

I have no regrets. Just a ton of hurt that is slowly being healed by hope and great memories. 

In some ways, this thread feels so awful. My goal was to tell the stories - legends - of my dad's life through interviews with him. But the truth is... while I would have loved that... truly would have loved that. They will have to stay legends. 

I will do my best over the next few months and years to share the legends the way he has shared them with me over the past 31 years. 

My encouragement is this...

Tell the folks you love how much they mean to you. Often. I told my dad how much I loved him at the end of every visit and phone call. Today. I'm so glad I did. Don't wait. Don't be too busy. Don't miss it. Tomorrow isn't promised. 

Get Busy Living. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/11/22 9:12 p.m.

I am so sorry to hear of his passing. Not really good at expressing myself in times like this but I know your dad is very proud of you and happy his legacy/stories are being shared in this thread.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/11/22 9:17 p.m.

May the lord's peace be with you and your family.... so sorry for your loss of your dear beloved father...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/11/22 9:26 p.m.

I'm really sorry to hear that your dad passed.  You have a good outlook on things and I hope that helps you during this time.

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
12/11/22 9:27 p.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to B13Birk :

Kuma insisted taking the cluster from the green Q to you guys. I still have the engine and 5 speed that were in it when it came to me. There was also a fresh crisp old style $20 bill in the middle of the owner's manual. Not sure if your dad put it there, but if so thanks! 

When I found out where it came from and that Dr.Birkmire lived so close, it was the only thing that felt right. Don't know if the floor mats in my Q45 are from his car. I have a nice set in storage

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/11/22 10:36 p.m.

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. I'm 46 and the youngest of five, a late child of an old dad. But my dad is still alive, still kicking it at 85, even a landscape timber to the face a few years back couldn't slow him down. Prostate cancer has finally accomplished what time couldn't and has slowed him down some. Thanks to you, I'll remember to spend some time asking about stories. He's got plenty. From owning a teamsters run trucking shop in Jacksonville, Florida, to driving his 80s Range Rover from Panama back to Columbus, Ohio. We forget sometimes when forging new memories that there are all these amazing old ones.

65 was too young by far. But it looks like he lived a full life and you let him know how valued he was.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/11/22 10:53 p.m.

Sorry for your loss. That sucks big.

May you be that blessing of a father to your kids!

Patrick
12/12/22 10:30 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your dad, buddy. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/22 4:59 p.m.

Sorry to hear. He seemed a great man, I hope you will share more pics/stories.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SFRl4njJXSO4HKYAghBAT67w39fXMRt5G5KRlvVs3T5paou9VrizaSqwtTsAI6wN