1 2 3 ... 12
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/13/16 5:06 p.m.

Building something cool? Then here's the place to share it with the rest of the class.

Start a thread, post lots of pics, and have fun.

Thanks for joining us.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/16 6:20 p.m.

Bottle tree: My girlfriend calls this one Cubist. It is by no means finished. A gift for a friend.

Also, not nearly so cool, I did a quick refresh on the kitchen: Tile, fake tin back splash for the stove, and sink, Paint, and generally just a bit of love. This was the last untouched room in the house. Guess its time to move.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/13/16 6:37 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Also, not nearly so cool, I did a quick refresh on the kitchen: Tile, fake tin back splash for the stove, and sink, Paint, and generally just a bit of love. This was the last untouched room in the house. Guess its time to move.

Any wisdom about redoing tile? My shower tiles have a hairline crack and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to replacing them.

wheelsmithy
6/13/16 6:49 p.m.

In reply to calteg:Break bad stuff out with a hammer, replacing a few isn't bad if you can match the tile and grout, otherwise, knock it all out, do new hardy board, and screw blocks of wood into the hardy board to lock them in until you have several floated. I like to start with one. Once it has set, you can build off that. Centerlines are your friend. Are these tiles on the floor, or wall. Come to think of it, I have never done a shower. Do you need some sort of moisture barrier, or just seal everything?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/24/16 10:25 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
6/24/16 11:03 a.m.

Pretty much the opposite of what GRM is all about. A one owner, 71k miles, Chevy C10. About to do a crate engine and throttle body fuel injection install.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/16 5:29 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote: Pretty much the opposite of what GRM is all about. A one owner, 71k miles, Chevy C10. About to do a crate engine and throttle body fuel injection install.

The opposite of what GRM is all about? You haven't been paying attention then! We have people rebuilding old GMC pickups, Land Cruisers, SAABS and Snowcats. We like pretty much anything.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
6/24/16 8:09 p.m.

I recently picked up my biggest and oldest car yet.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
6/25/16 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Nitroracer:

I need that.

Jake
Jake Dork
7/7/16 3:00 p.m.

The fact that this place is so inclusive of everything mechanical under the sun is what I like about it.

My latest project is rehabbing my dad’s S2000. Added a new exhaust and updated the wheels to the wider/larger AP2 style, replaced the rear spoiler because it was badly sunburned (now it’s the best looking paint on the car) other than that basically just driving the hell out of it. Still needs the front bumper repainted and after that a deep detail, but it’s looking better lately.

Edit: link to the picture on imgur since I can't get it to embed: imgur.com/jYseIGX

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/16 3:35 p.m.

Well, I traded the Javelin for a Cobra that will be my new CAM Challenge autocrosser.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/7/16 3:37 p.m.

Eh, Just rebuilding my 1974 Mustang II

RX8 suspension, 302/T5, Mark VIII diff, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Brakes, Full Cage

So far, the original suspension is removed/cutout. Now the real fun. At the moment, it looks like it may qualify for the challenge....

wheelsmithy
7/7/16 10:03 p.m.
Thinkkker wrote: Eh, Just rebuilding my 1974 Mustang II

I should very much like to see any documentation of this unholy beast that you might be inclined to share.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
7/18/16 6:39 p.m.

Gold Mine Display I was given a real 1800's gold mine car. So I made a gold mine....

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/18/16 9:41 p.m.

In reply to JohnnyBquick:

That's amazing! Cool idea.

Bought an ATL saver fuel cell for the triumph. Saver cells cut about $200 off the cost of an FIA FT3 cell, but you have to fabricate a metal can. So that's what I did this afternoon. Cost to fabricate was about $50 (pics tomorrow).

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/20/16 11:37 a.m.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/20/16 3:08 p.m.

Car dealership:

Did you mean car builds?

wheelsmithy
7/20/16 3:19 p.m.

More modification than build:

My Logan lathe is a little bit much to handle solo Especially on the stand I got with it. Looks to be something built from Navy scrap. Deeply pitted with rust. 1/4" thick stuff, so integrity is no issue. So, I chopped 16" out of its height, and added some Castors I had laying around. Slather on some Rustoleum Gloss Black, and we're good to go. It is still drying, or else I'd slap it all back together. One of these days, I'll restore the lathe, and maybe even learn a bit about how to use it.

rowan
rowan None
7/27/16 5:11 a.m.

I personally wouldn't have the guts to work on my car. Not that I don't want to get things done of course. I would just much rather keep my insurance intact and make sure that I don't slice off my fingers while attempting something haha! Happy to come in here and see what everyone else is up to though!

Boso_FC
Boso_FC New Reader
8/12/16 8:12 p.m.
Left Ventricle
Left Ventricle New Reader
9/12/16 7:33 p.m.

Here's my LX9 swap into an A-body. First of its kind. It's also done.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 11:35 a.m.

Since the car isn't here yet, but the plan is shored up and money will soon be changing hands I can let you in on the project:

2004 Mazda RX8 - Remove Renesis engine, transmission, harnesses and front crossmember. Sell for mad profit yo

2008 Mazda MX5 Miata - Remove MZR engine, transmission, harnesses and front crossmember.

2008 Mazda 6 - Remove 2.5L MZR short block assembly

The fun bits:

Install engine crossmember, clean and paint mounts and accessories.

Install 2.0L components on 2.5L block, prepare for installation.

Combine MZR engine harness with RX8 chassis.

Install 2.5L MZR engine into RX8 chassis and confirm operation.

Prepare for PHASE 2

Install Mazdaspeed 3 exhaust manifold (or similar) and add turbocharger, piping and charge cooler (what? You thought I was replacing it just for the same horsepower and more torque?)

Proceed at winning in life!

Thoughts?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/22/16 6:56 p.m.

Well, the e30 rally built never stops (since rally breaks things!) but it's pretty slow right now.

Current winter build is combining a pair of Porsche 924S's that I picked up for under $1k each (one is pretty nice except a shot engine, the other one is terrible but with a good engine). The goal this time is not a race car, but instead something to take some nice weekend road trips in and generally cruise....ok, I'm sure it'll see a track day or two, but it's going to be mostly stock in terms of performance.

So I have a build thread on that here already, hope some Porsche people follow it and lend advice, because this car aside from being German, isn't much like an e30 :)

scotty2hotteee
scotty2hotteee
12/21/16 9:44 p.m.

1981 Mercedes 240D with a crate 351W, FMX Trans and a Thunderbird Super Coupe 8.8. The car is also on airbag suspension. It's been up and down all year finally almost up again. Just waiting on a Ujoint flange and I need to add fluid to the diff. Should be doing burnouts by the weekend.

alphawolf620
alphawolf620
1/8/17 4:18 a.m.

New here and will have more pics once it stops raining, in the mean time this is my build log https://www.facebook.com/tryandkeepitstock/

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V6HLCvBHIteutj52HilGwlgMGyhBDT0gLp6MgXmBlXnOh3W0Z33acCz5MmlUH4fx