1 ... 8 9 10 11 12
drivendaily
drivendaily Reader
9/11/21 6:26 p.m.

I've finished my prep work and can now start build-out on my new 1989 G30 hauler/camper.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/25/21 7:17 a.m.

Going to start on this one soon. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/25/21 7:18 a.m.

Current status

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/9/21 3:08 p.m.

Two projects right now! 

First is a 1966 F100 short bed. Crown vic front end and rear axle. Big bock! Straight six... Ford 300 4.9l. 5 speed swap. Building to be a great daily driver to get decent gas mileage and be my tow pig. Body is rough so I am adding patina to make it look OK to the eye. Its not worth saving the body and doing a good paint job on her. Last photo is where it started. 

2nd project is a pretty clean one owner 1964 F100. Killer patina and more or less untouched. Hopefully get it running and driving then sell it off for someone else to build. I need to fund other projects. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/9/21 6:08 p.m.

Our build thread is broken, so I'll post this here:   My wife and I picked up a datsun 1600 that had been sitting for a few years.  The car is rusty, the parking  break is stuck, and the fuel delivery is a mess.   It will require dropping the tank, cleaning the fuel lines,  and de-gunking the carbs.   We've emptied the tank (thanks for the drain plug, datsun) , opened the access panel in the floor of the trunk, and disconnected the wires to the fuel level sender.

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
12/12/21 2:21 p.m.

Nothing fancy.

Could not get the Wye Pipe I needed (or could get but they wanted to rob me $$$).

Basic fab & weld. Few months idle and the welding skills go out the window (for me).

frown

If you never post pic's then your not getting at it...

kstegath
kstegath New Reader
1/9/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

1976 Alfa Spider (US) restoration, then electric conversion:

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/22 1:58 p.m.

I bought a 16-year old Porsche from a skeezy used car lot to turn into an overlanding adventure rig and ended up with a previously re-po'd special edition with mods: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/jalapeno-2006-porsche-cayenne-s-into-an-adventure-trail-rig-transsyberia-tribute/190407/page1/

91camarosrs
91camarosrs New Reader
1/14/22 4:16 a.m.

my 2000 2.5rs daily driver. bought the car stock with 165k on it. had it for 6? years. 

it now has a 2.0turbo and 5mt(was an auto) from a 2005 saab 9-2xaero(wrx). this is the one car that i try like heck to look back and not regret how i repaired something. like, you know those projects that you knew you could have done better? yeah, that is what i try to avoid. 

downpipe, uppipe, muffler, turbo inlet,red go-fast hoses, non-leaking aluminum radiator, all upgraded sound system, head unit from 2006, hid retrofit, working AC, big spoiler, bigger brakes, and 295k on the clock. you get the idea. 

i have a facebook page logging all the things ive done to it(mostly things that only quirky people admire, like converting ALL inside lights to LED even soldering new ones in), but i might post on here when i get the time, or if theres interest.

heres the motor shortly after the swap.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/22 8:52 a.m.
91camarosrs said:

my 2000 2.5rs daily driver. bought the car stock with 165k on it. had it for 6? years. 

it now has a 2.0turbo and 5mt(was an auto) from a 2005 saab 9-2xaero(wrx). this is the one car that i try like heck to look back and not regret how i repaired something. like, you know those projects that you knew you could have done better? yeah, that is what i try to avoid. 

downpipe, uppipe, muffler, turbo inlet,red go-fast hoses, non-leaking aluminum radiator, all upgraded sound system, head unit from 2006, hid retrofit, working AC, big spoiler, bigger brakes, and 295k on the clock. you get the idea. 

i have a facebook page logging all the things ive done to it(mostly things that only quirky people admire, like converting ALL inside lights to LED even soldering new ones in), but i might post on here when i get the time, or if theres interest.

heres the motor shortly after the swap.

I distinctly remember sitting in the 2.5 RS at a car show before it came to the US. I had seen turbo versions overseas and in the Caribbean, and I was a huge rally fan at the time. I wanted that car so bad, but I was at the show with a pregnant wife and was headed for a sensible SUV instead. I had co-workers with 2 and 4 door versions of the RS, and then the WRX came and while they got more and more capable, I still wanted the OG Impreza, but with a turboi-swap. I have seen a few in person and nothing has changed my mind that they are awesome. If I ever have stupid money, I will import a 22B STi. 

RamenTamer
RamenTamer New Reader
1/28/22 10:35 a.m.

I got this '75 B210 and '74 620.
The B210 will be getting an engine swap, someday.  The little A14 that's in there is not cutting the mustard.  I live in Western WA and everything is steep hills with stop lights halfway up.  Trying to get that itty bitty go kart engine to move on these hills is a nightmare.  Figure I'll just go with an L20b engine.  It's not gonna win any races, but it should be able to go the speed limit.  I thought about putting a Z24 in there, but I hear bad things about the Z series and only good things about the L series.

The 620 is getting it's drum brakes swapped for discs.  The previous owner already swapped the engine to a KA24DE, so the truck has an awful lot of giddy up...but no brakes.  Remember those hills I was talking about?  I have the opposite problem with the truck.  The brakes are so bad, I can't stop when I'm pointed downhill.  It's no good.  Also, I'm going to be lifting the truck 4-6 inches and putting some big tires on it.  As it is at stock height, it's so low that I can't see over any cars in front of me.  But, I'd like it if I could.  So, I'm probably going to have to get creative with it, because Datsun trucks don't like being lifted.

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/22 2:56 p.m.

My build kinda stopped and then re-started. 

Mainly because my buddy flipped our rally car... 

So then I drove to Georgia and bought this...

Here is the build thread if you are interesting. 

Rally Car Content.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/31/22 2:59 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Nice 73. Post up on Ih8mud if you haven't already. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/22 2:48 p.m.

Not really a "build" more of just a fix up. 
2009 Audi TT 3.2l Quattro, 6 speed manual. 

Bid on a Copart auction on my birthday. Hopped into the auction after I got back from a run, it was up on the block, bidding was slowed, placed one bid and got it. 

It was listed as "run and drive" and Primary damage listed as "mechanical" Found a destroyed oil pan pretty quick and ordered a replacement. Swapped it in and prayed. So far so good. A little stealth 5 mile test drive and things seem ok. Appointment at the DMV on the 12th for plates and then we'll really see. 

Also hit the front subframe / crossmember and cracked it (aluminum) and have a used replacement coming.

Pretty clean otherwise some dings and light scratches from normal wear (103k miles)

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
4/16/22 5:17 p.m.

More brake work.

Before:

And after:

After being "After" the UPS man was here...

And alittle proprogress. Much cleaner tho...

Mustard
Mustard
5/3/22 9:29 a.m.

I've lurked for years without ever signing up but figured why not now?

Currently working on a 1991 MR2 N/A thats getting converted to a 94+ body style and a 4th generation 3SGTE swap from a late Model Toyota Caldina. Below are some photos. May start a build thread at some point. May just be slow going.

and a quick peek at how badly the paint had been treated before my ownership.

Chrissmith
Chrissmith New Reader
5/6/22 6:03 a.m.

my favorite DIY project suspension upgrades hahah, I got some cheap coilovers for my budget car.

Burner1
Burner1
5/15/22 11:20 a.m.

How about a 1990's vintage nascar:

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
5/22/22 7:02 a.m.

In reply to Burner1 :

Build thread? Pretty please?

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand None
7/6/22 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Piguin :

.. And more details on the Pantera!

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/6/22 1:46 p.m.

I created a username today so I could comment on some of the crazy builds going on here.. I love the DIY spirit and ingenuity on display!

My current project is a new engine for my Z06; basically making my own ZR1.  Would've been easier to buy one but, you know.. "adding a blower, how hard can it be?"

The car before it ate a lifter on the LS7

I'd really, really hate to do this without a lift.

Early trial of LS9 supercharger with LSA lid and MDF power steering bracket prototyping (MDF's a step up from CAD, right?  Cardboard Aided Design?)  The LS9 power steering bracket is out of production and seriously unavailable.

Bought a Holley piece intended for their LT5 accessory drive system and hacked it up.

Engine almost ready to put back in the car.  It's a 427" Darton sleeved 5.3 block, forged rotating parts, Trick Flow heads, Kong ported LS9 supercharger and snout, yada yada.  It's actually in the car and almost ready to fire but I haven't taken good pics of the entire engine bay lately.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
7/21/22 2:00 p.m.

I don't know that I need another build thread to keep track of at this point, but someone mentioned the forums here (I wasn't even aware there was a community here to be fair I just knew the magazine) might have an interest in it so here I am.  If there is interest then sure.

I was given an overhead cam Jeep engine from 1964 and my idea was to build something like an old front engine single seat Grand Prix car from scratch around it.  So I drew up a chassis and suspension and bought some metal and this is what I've got so far.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/22/22 10:53 a.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

That looks very cool!  I'd like to see more, for sure.  What body plans do you have for it?

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
7/22/22 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

The plan is 20 gauge steel panels welded tonthe existing tube work. The idea is single seat boat tail roadster style body with a grill reminiscent of a 33 Ford but slightly more squarish looking.  The hope is for it all to look decent.

I love the look of the 1927 Delage Grand Prix car other than it's super simple grill.  The Jeep engine is far taller than that though so the whole car has to be taller around it.

jcs76
jcs76
8/14/22 4:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Building something cool? Then here's the place to share it with the rest of the class.

Start a thread, post lots of pics, and have fun.

Thanks for joining us.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E4SnYy8qOXJVVL0w45VlWzIySMP59Udk30vWZMjkkKKdRSPHqt4AkxNjj1G5Vqqu