1 2 3
Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/2/19 12:16 p.m.

Dad said I had to do a build thread before we got home, it is an 86 audi 4000cs Quattro. The paint is in pretty good condition but we're thinking about making it a turbo 400hp challenge car. The trunk pan is rusted pretty badly but that's not to big of a deal. The rear window is also non-existent. None of the door handles work and the front right tire has a lot of camber. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/19 12:17 p.m.

Stand by. Rookie mistake. He forgot pictures. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/2/19 12:46 p.m.

good thing y'all got the manual transmission one, so there's no audi-garage carnage?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/2/19 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

Congratulations! this is going to be a really cool first car for you.  Welcome to the insane asylum.  I've added this build thread to my watch list.  Carry-on. yes

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/19 1:55 p.m.

Watching this one as well. Those were some of my favorite cars in the 80's. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/2/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

It is still probably going to be street legal but dad said I couldn't drive it on the streets if we build especially for the challenge. 

Stampie
3/2/19 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

Not at 15 and if it's built to 400hp Challenge specs. 

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
3/2/19 2:51 p.m.

Congrats. Hell of a first car. Mine was a non running 70 standard beetle. Looking forward to the build thread as I love 80’s audi’s even though I’ve never owned one. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/19 5:46 p.m.

Sweet! I'm glad you're going first-person.  Cool project.

Looks like Dad finally got a haircut.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/2/19 8:40 p.m.

A friend has same car,gold coloured,lowered, with a 5 cly 2.2 20 valve motor, thing of beauty.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/19 10:53 p.m.

Ah a swamp donkey! A great platform for making silly power, left foot braking and having fun on dirt and gravel. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/3/19 5:48 a.m.

I'll he honest, this looks better than what you guys usually start with. Does this mean Stampie gets to fetch the 10mm for Lil_Stampie? 

Stampie
3/3/19 7:21 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

I actually shaved it about a year ago. I'll grow it back out. I do this every 10 years or so.  It keeps people from recognizing me in the FBI posters.

​​​​​​In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

This one has it's own unique issues. Body and paint that look good on the internet and in a 11 year old's eyes aren't so good in person.   But yes other than being a Dad saying no you can't LS swap it and run 28psi boost I'm going to let him take the lead. Of course I'll give advice and guidance but this is his car to lose the 10mm socket in.

skylarhagler
skylarhagler New Reader
3/3/19 8:26 a.m.

Definitely watching. These are one of my favorite cars. I’m a sucker for classic rally. 

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
3/3/19 9:03 a.m.

You are going to get an education of German/Audi engineering that will have you shaking your head and leave you with a feeling of accomplishment when you are done.

This car, a '86 4000 CSQ, was my first of what ended up a series of 5 quattro's.  First, wider tires means box flares.  Next, mineral oil and hydrostatic breaks do need an accumulator.

And yes, the car is that heavy.  Even without an interior.  

David 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/19 12:48 p.m.

Congratulations on your car, Lil Stampie.  Best of luck.  Here's a little reading material/background for you.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1986/231515/audi_4000_cs_quattro.html

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/3/19 1:04 p.m.

I find it incredibly cool that it is missing its rear window just like a certain q45 owned by the elder stampie.

de80q
de80q Reader
3/3/19 4:19 p.m.

I have seen quite a bit worse in my years of owning Audi's.  Hopefully you bought it right though.

My current setup is a B3 80 Quattro with a 10v turbo 2.2l out of a 5000 CS Quattro.  I have a lot of time and money getting it to where it is, with 20psi of boost from a K24 turbo.  With EFI and a good tune I should be at 300HP at the crank.  If you really want 400hp, best option will be a 20v turbo from either a 91 200 or a Ur S4/6.  Now for the bad part, those 20vt engine are pricey to start with.  There is also the VR6 option, but the adaptor parts for that will probably put that outside of competition price.

Will be interesting to see what this goes.  Oh, I have to ask, what happened to the front wheel?  

Stampie
3/3/19 7:54 p.m.

In reply to de80q :

Bought right at free. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/1986-audi-4000sc/146053/page1/

Yeah after looking at things to get 400hp it seems a 20V is needed. I'm thinking 20V NA donor to open up options. But really right now we're assessing the situation.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/3/19 9:46 p.m.

034 motorsports will have parts you can use. If possible try to track down a 91 90 or 80 series car. The reason is that they have the two piece hub and strut assemblies. Back in the late 80's early 90's Ned Ritchie up here in the northwest was a chip guru with the turbo cars. He was easily running upwards of 500hp. He also found out that the stock rods were only good up to 450hp.  With that kind of hp back in the day there was a reason that the Coupe Rally was called the Killer B and not for a good reason. Not certain but if the 4000 is the same as the 90 then look at 2Bennet out in Davis California. Not sure if they are still there but they have a lot of go fast and turn stuff for these cars. On the 90 the front and rear subframes were the same only the mounting points for the motor and diff were different. This means you could swap a front subframe weld on the correct mounting for the diff and run a factory swaybar in back. I found that with the weight of the car running koni sports and, 325 front and 375 rear lb springs, on the soft setting made for a fairly nice ride on the street. Mind you it would still corner great with the rear swaybar added. It was a bit tricky in the rain as it would tend to want to slide the rear out if you got a little to happy with the go peddle.

I made solid mounts for my subframes and ran 2Bennet delrin bushings on my control arms. You will notice that more than anything else suspension wise. That really firms up the turn in and ride. Only really notice a bit of harshness down at low rpm.

Remember the motor in this car is basicly a vw rabbit motor with a extra cylinder. So it will respond well with any type of mod you could do on the rabbit GTI. Schrick had a nice cam for these which you can still find once and awhile. The coupe GT of this time frame also had a long tube header that will work on your car.

The ten valve motor is a good turbo motor if it's tuned for low end mid range torque. This will help with the weight.

If possible try to change to a 5 lug 112 bolt pattern. This will give you a almost unlimited choice of rim selection. 

One other thing I remember from a old article. MTM in Germany would run a 225 width front tire with a 205 rear. From what I recall it was to help with the weight of the motor being out infront of the axles for handling. seems to have worked fairly well.

Or if your looking for easy power for low $ a aeb 1.8t should bolt up to the transmission and bring some of the weight back closer to the axles.

Good luck. 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/4/19 7:55 a.m.

cool project! i blew the budget for mine to actually compete in a grm challenge but i still would love to go one day. 

when you get around to needing rear glass let me know.  i have one i will donate. 

good to see another tornado red 4kcsq on the board. yes

de80q
de80q Reader
3/4/19 11:27 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4 :

034 has gotten out of the "old Audi" game.  Not to mention they were/are on the expensive side.  2B is still working with them, but they are almost insane for the prices they want.  $1400 for a used dylinex 10vt manifold?  There are some other options that are more cost effective, you just have to look around.

Finding a late B3 would be good for quite a few upgrades for the suspension.  I'm not sure how it is there, but here in PA, finding a B3 is not easy.  I am currently parting one out, but want to keep the rear CV shafts as they are very hard to get.  

As for the 10v being a good turbo motor, it is, but I wouldn't want to push it close to where I am on CIS.  Even with EFI it can be touchy trying to tune it correctly.  I do love my 10vt engine, and it can be had fairly cheap, but the rebuild, and upgrading do get expensive in a hurry.  

Stampie
3/4/19 1:25 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq :

Thanks!  Yeah searching for that window isn't something I wanted to even start.  

in reply to de80q :

I missed your front passenger wheel question. It was taken off the road to do some coilovers and suspension mods. That corner is, as us Southerners call it, rednecked engineered to make it a roller.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/4/19 9:56 p.m.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/mcminnville-audi-4000s-quattro/6829164466.html Ones like this pop up every couple of months around here. As for the coilovers go to ground control. They did carry a do it yourself kit for these cars years ago. I would bet they could come up with something. That's to bad about 034. 2bennet yea they always were a little proud on there prices. Check on audifans as they are more for the old school car's. This is when people actually had to shift for themselves and loved it.

de80q
de80q Reader
3/7/19 11:50 p.m.

Not sure how determined you are to keep this a 5 cylinder, but there is a really nice set of 06A 1.8t mount arms that came up for sale pretty cheap on MG.  I know the guy how built them, and you could probably tow the car by just wrapping a strap around the mount arms haha.

1.8t mount arms

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tut5RMLdYgHgpOvJwPDWAoEwhAy96NEse0QVoKp3Qw7OktOKMZbT5CI5ElabQ1xb