1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56
thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Through Norcal Rallycross, which I believe is associated with SFR SCCA (atleast they require a membership). I'm on X2's with the 17SE, I'm already as low as I can go on the front without getting a different tender spring.  I closed my LSC bypasses all the way, but I imagine swaybars would help alot. I also doubt my reservoirs have any nitrogen left, since some of them show faint oil seepage.

I'll try to get an ETA on swaybars,  to see if I can get them before Decembers event,  which I want to go to since it's 1/2 night runs, and I've already invested in lighting. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/21 3:07 p.m.

In reply to thashane :

Glad to hear of another yxz having fun at rallyx!  How'd you compare to the cars?

thashane
11/17/21 5:07 p.m.

I'm just realizing I can drop my crossover ring, to engage the main spring sooner. 

results (I'm at the bottom)  I ran with the MR, MF, PA, MA, NC groups.  On my expedition 2wd lap, my fastest time,  I was 2.5s behind the fastest MA car, and 0.5s behind the fastest PA car. Most cars not on muds/aggressive gravels filled up their tires with clay. I was running TUSK og Terrabites, and had no problem staying clear. If anything given my 2 wheel safety probation, I would've been better off with less lateral grip.

The course was pretty brutal (for cars), bumpers and fender liners every lap. In our run group the course was realigned almost every lap. IMO the course really favored the yxz, and I wasn't concerned with breaking anything. I think I would've been much more competitive if i could've driven at my limit.

edit: because the YXZ is so capable, not because my driving

edit2: I still don't think I could've beaten the fastest MA drivers, so props to your skill. 

Lof8 - Andy
11/17/21 8:47 p.m.

Nice work!  It sounds like you're running in 2wd?  If so, 4wd will yield much better traction and quicker times.  The SXSs definitely deal with track degradation better than the cars. Unfortunately for that reason, we usually get to run last around here. 

thashane
11/18/21 8:45 a.m.

Ya only on 2wd that first lap. Ran 4wd the others.  Thanks for the help, I'll give rally-x another shot,  and hopefully have a better experience.

Lof8 - Andy
11/18/21 10:58 a.m.

Rumors have been swirling for at least 6 months that Palm Beach International Raceway is being sold in order to build warehouse space :(  so I wanted to get out there and drive it again before it's gone. Signed up for a Track Night in America event.  The normal track day car is still under the knife, so I took the chance to stretch the legs on the NB. PBIR isn't really a super notable course, but it's fun and I'll be sad if it does get torn down. 

Lof8 - Andy
11/18/21 11:15 a.m.
thashane said:

Ya only on 2wd that first lap. Ran 4wd the others.  Thanks for the help, I'll give rally-x another shot,  and hopefully have a better experience.

Hopefully they're not eagle-eyeing you the 2nd time around. That's no fun. SXSs are still new to most rallyx organizers and their concern is not un-justified. They are more likely to roll than the cars. I've seen 3 rollovers at firm events. But you just roll em back over and keep going. Get it low and stiff, drive smart, and have good safety gear.  Hopefully they let you push it harder next time! yes

Lof8 - Andy
11/25/21 11:04 a.m.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Got the trans pulled away from the engine and it's pretty apparent the rear seal housing wasn't centered well on the crank.  The lower edge of the seal is ovaled slightly and a small gap at the top.  :/ that's what I get for not properly you-tubing the procedure. So I have the centering tool now and got a new seal housing installed. But I boogerd up the seal while removing it (in order to use the centering tool). So now I'm waiting for a new seal.  Fun stuff! The clutch showed only a little wear but I ordered a new one anyway in case it was compromised at all by the oil leak. I don't want to pull the engine again anytime soon!

Lof8 - Andy
12/12/21 12:13 p.m.

Boy was that a tedious job. But she's back together, feels great, and 2 nights with no oil on the floor!  

Lof8 - Andy
12/15/21 9:30 p.m.

The KeeniTop I won at the Challenge has arrived!  It fits great, except I need to weld a couple miata Frankenstein bolts to the down tubes before I can fully mount it. I'll get some better pics after that. It's a cool little piece!

and this thing followed me home today!  The local spec e30 gang has decided to try the roundy rounds (in the Crown Vic class) so I may bring it to the circle track with them. But the main reasons I got it are that the Firm has been teasing wheel-to-wheel rallyx events, and I read that the HooptieX organizers are in talks with Cleetus about a dirt Crown Vic race at the freedom factory. So, for $2k, I'm immediately prepared for any of these sweet races!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/21 10:47 a.m.

Wheel to wheel rallyx? Ummm I'll be down that way in March if you need a second driver!

That sounds like a riot. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/21 7:29 p.m.

Im considering a YXZ since im down to just my gladiator and there are way more places to ride a SXS than anything else and i can rallycross it.  I am considering a new SS though since i like the idea of the auto clutch and paddle shifters better.

Lof8 - Andy
12/16/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

I've never driven an SS version, but I'm sure it's a blast as well!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/17/21 7:43 a.m.

my thoughts have been, i can rallycross it which i have wanted to do for a while and i would want a trailer for that as well. I also have wanted a trail vehicle and with used prices now getting both or one that could do both would cost similar money, but there are less and less places to legally wheel a normal 4x4 but tons that i can take a sxs.  The big sxs' are also street legal(can be made street legal here) now so that is a huge bonus.

thashane
12/18/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

I've heard the SS are faster around a track, full WOT up shifts. I've also heard of the shift solenoid having an error occasionally. But that's just based on random Facbook complaints, I have no idea of the root cause. Ive thought there would be times that i would've downshifted if I had an SS

Lof8 - Andy
12/28/21 8:52 p.m.

The YXZ is getting a couple of upgrades in the off-season. Adding a Dirt Launch Performance intake setup.  Their dyno graph shows a 19hp bump when paired with their ecu flash, which is not insignificant in a machine this light!  It's got a pre filter sock as well, not shown in the pic. 

Also adding a hydraulic slidey brake to help rotate this thing around some of the tight hairpin turns that we sometimes see.   Had to remove the factory parking brake and fab a lil bracket to give it a solid mounting spot in a good position.  Hoping the end result will look sort of "factory" in the spot where the parking brake used to reside in the center console. 

Lof8 - Andy
12/28/21 9:31 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

Wheel to wheel rallyx? Ummm I'll be down that way in March if you need a second driver!

That sounds like a riot. 

I sure hope one of these events comes to fruition that quickly. I'll let ya know!

Lof8 - Andy
12/29/21 7:42 p.m.

Today's progress

thashane
12/29/21 10:13 p.m.

slidey brake would be fun. What's your plan with 4wd? I always think most of the bolt-on power gains are through the tune

Lof8 - Andy
12/29/21 10:21 p.m.
thashane said:

slidey brake would be fun. What's your plan with 4wd? I always think most of the bolt-on power gains are through the tune

I've spoken to a few rally guys with hydro brake experience. Sounds like clutch in when you yank the handle and all is good. Release the handle, then drop the clutch and you're sliding!

Lof8 - Andy
12/30/21 6:44 p.m.

Needs a bit more bleeding, but otherwise installation is complete.  Ripped her around the block and I can feel some added ponies!

PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham UberDork
12/30/21 7:14 p.m.

Been a while since I peeked in here. That side by side looks like a silly amount of fun. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/2/22 4:15 p.m.

The Yamaha is wild!  It's my favorite toy. The January Firm rallyx is going to be on the Nitro course (the lower tier class that does not use the huge gap jump). But there is still a good sized jump on the track. I believe it's bigger than the one we've used there for years.  But the course is about 75% tarmac.  So I've mounted up some of the Falkens from my circle track neon on to the YXZ wheels.  I have a feeling this will be a big advantage.  

also Keenitop mounting is complete.  Fits nice!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/22 4:19 p.m.

Do they allow passengers out on the rallyx course? It would be fun to catch a ride!

ojannen
ojannen Reader
1/2/22 5:10 p.m.

Do you know if that course is set in stone?  I might need to buy some tires.  All I have left are snows and max sports.

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ETBUL8rTv0AgfRR7Opqbx4T8fSSshihXjAIQaucExOlhHMrrys5d127CJBQvbJmv