1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 56
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/22 5:24 p.m.
dyintorace said:

Do they allow passengers out on the rallyx course? It would be fun to catch a ride!

I believe so. But I don't remember if you have to be a registered competitor or not. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/2/22 5:26 p.m.
ojannen said:

Do you know if that course is set in stone?  I might need to buy some tires.  All I have left are snows and max sports.

I wouldn't say anything is set in stone with those guys but Bryn posted a video on his personal page doing the Nitro lap and something to the effect of, "here's a preview of the next rallyx course". 

Lof8 - Andy
1/2/22 6:02 p.m.
thashane said:

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

slidey brake would be fun. What's your plan with 4wd? I always think most of the bolt-on power gains are through the tune

Turns out you're right. In 4wd, the hand brake wants to lock all 4 through the drive train.  :( it works great in 2wd, but I'm not going to make that sacrifice. Tube works makes a "rally drive" that disengages the front when you're not on throttle. However, I'm told it's super hard on the front diff when it re-engages.  So all that work may just be for playing around in 2wd.  I'm sad.  

ojannen
ojannen Reader
1/2/22 7:20 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up on Bryn's video.  Not sure how I missed it.  Looks like I need some tires.  Soft sidewalls are no fun around corners.

Lof8 - Andy
1/2/22 8:56 p.m.
ojannen said:

Thanks for the heads up on Bryn's video.  Not sure how I missed it.  Looks like I need some tires.  Soft sidewalls are no fun around corners.

Agreed. And it really shreds up tires not meant for tarmac. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/4/22 9:13 p.m.

Had to order a pair of cheapies to complete the Falken set for the YXZ.  Had some old BBS stickers in the sticker box. Boom!  Intimidation factor. Lol!

Lof8 - Andy
1/6/22 7:44 p.m.

Looks funny but sticks well!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/22 8:47 a.m.

It definitely looks funny but you've kinda got yourself an oversized crosskart there and I'm for it. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/11/22 8:20 a.m.

I took the e36 out for its first major test since extracting the engine for a rear seal job.  Everything went great!  no smoke and no leaks.  I feel like the car is fully dialed in at this point, at least for my purpose of 5-ish track days a year.  Its a lot of fun to drive!  My buddy with the exotic car shop rented out the Firm for the day.  I was quicker than all of these pretty cars except the Porsche turbo :)

She also got some "smoked" corners in the front that I think look a lot better than the bright orange stock ones.  I also added a pair of halo Sparco seats that I picked up pretty cheap on the Marketplace.

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/22 11:57 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
thashane said:

slidey brake would be fun. What's your plan with 4wd? I always think most of the bolt-on power gains are through the tune

Turns out you're right. In 4wd, the hand brake wants to lock all 4 through the drive train.  :( it works great in 2wd, but I'm not going to make that sacrifice. Tube works makes a "rally drive" that disengages the front when you're not on throttle. However, I'm told it's super hard on the front diff when it re-engages.  So all that work may just be for playing around in 2wd.  I'm sad.  

ya that's a bummer, I was excited for you. I've day dreamed that you could put a momentary button to kick the dif back to 2wd, but don't have enough confidence for it to disengage consistently enough. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/22/22 10:48 a.m.

It's a GRM type of Saturday.  

Lof8 - Andy
1/24/22 1:55 p.m.

The little Falken tires on the Yamaha were the right call for last weekend's rallyx.  They stuck great on the mostly asphalt course and I took home the overall!  They weren't great on the clay or gravel, but they were manageable.  It was a very different course than we usually get out there, and the (smaller) Nitro jump was a blast!  I'm hoping some pics/videos surface eventually.  I did take the gopro this time, but haven't downloaded the video yet.  A poor little Sentra met its demise when the driver lost control and ran over one of the marker barrels in just the right way to put it on it's lid.  Driver was using all of the appropriate safety gear and was fine, thankfully.

My Mom recently gave me a sweet RV/toy hauler when she upgraded her RV. 

Also, My '99 Miata has not gotten much use in the several years I've owned it, and my wife's Ford Ranger is getting a little long in the tooth, so we decided we're going to move those vehicles along and get her a nicer DD that has towing capabilities beyond my company-issue V6 F-150.  So, the new member of the fleet is a 5.7 equipped 2008 Tundra.  The exterior has some bumps and dings, but mechanically feels fantastic and the interior is a nice dark cloth in great shape.  The first move will be to trade these Bro wheels in for some nice oem ones, I'm eyeing the 20" BBS that came on some of the Southeastern trucks.  I pulled the enclosed trailer to the Firm and back with it yesterday and boy what a difference over the F150!, even with these ridiculous wheels on it.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/24/22 5:37 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

A poor little Sentra met its demise when the driver lost control and ran over one of the marker barrels in just the right way to put it on it's lid.  Driver was using all of the appropriate safety gear and was fine, thankfully.

Dang. He hit that thing pretty hard. Are the barrels filled with water? That seems like they might be a poor choice in tighter sections where they're likely to take a hit.  

ojannen
ojannen Reader
1/24/22 6:54 p.m.

What an unlucky trip over that barrel.  It has me rethinking my safety plan.  My 90s bmw has similar strength a-pillars and my helmet just touches the roof.

I am curious how you like the tundra.  We are debating a dedicated tow vehicle (with a 3rd row) and debating between 5.7 sequoia or similar era expedition/Tahoe.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/22 10:35 p.m.

My buddy was driving that Sentra frown

Lof8 - Andy
1/25/22 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

some have water and some don't.  They always warn us in the drivers meeting that you're taking a gamble if you hit one.  They get tagged all the time during events, but this is the first time they've caused a major incident as far as I know.  The placement of the one he hit was pretty bad after that tight wiggle in the course.  

Lof8 - Andy
1/25/22 8:21 a.m.

In reply to ojannen :

I had done quite a bit of research and the Tundra seemed like a nice fit for our needs.  Plus I love Toyota reliability.  10k pounds towing capability and she rides absolutely smooth as butter.  I've only owned it a few days, but I love it.  My aunt/uncle have owned a 2007 since new and they love theirs and the Dad of a friend has an 08 with 325k miles, he refuses to sell it.  So everyone I know with first-hand experience raves about them.  The used truck market is pretty slim pickings currently.  In "normal" times, I may have held out for one without the body dings and scrapes, but who knows when normal times will return.  

Lof8 - Andy
1/25/22 8:25 a.m.
dyintorace said:

That sucks.  I could tell he was pretty discouraged about the situation.  My buddy, Jon Birkmire, is co-owner/driver.  He posted yesterday that they already have a replacement, so thats good.

java230
java230 PowerDork
1/25/22 8:40 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to ojannen :

I had done quite a bit of research and the Tundra seemed like a nice fit for our needs.  Plus I love Toyota reliability.  10k pounds towing capability and she rides absolutely smooth as butter.  I've only owned it a few days, but I love it.  My aunt/uncle have owned a 2007 since new and they love theirs and the Dad of a friend has an 08 with 325k miles, he refuses to sell it.  So everyone I know with first-hand experience raves about them.  The used truck market is pretty slim pickings currently.  In "normal" times, I may have held out for one without the body dings and scrapes, but who knows when normal times will return.  

I love mine! Only had it a year and a half or so now though.

But they are simple, V8 and 6 speed. Don't expect good Mpg, but otherwise very simple toyota truck. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/25/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

yep, its already very clear that she loves to chug the gas!  I'm surprised these things didn't come with a larger fuel tank.  26 gallons.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/22 9:32 a.m.

Other than the whole rollover thing, that course looks like a riot. 

Glad the driver is OK. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/22 10:01 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
dyintorace said:

That sucks.  I could tell he was pretty discouraged about the situation.  My buddy, Jon Birkmire, is co-owner/driver.  He posted yesterday that they already have a replacement, so thats good.

I know Jon too! In fact, I sold him my dads Miata. smiley

Lof8 - Andy
1/25/22 4:50 p.m.

Lof8 - Andy
1/26/22 9:50 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy
1/28/22 9:28 a.m.
1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.