1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 56
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/22 8:34 a.m.

Well, turns out there were 2 Porsches, a 911 and a Cayman S, and a Z3 (Ojannen on the forum) in my class.  The clay sections were a bit wet to start the day, and they were absolute glass slick.  On the 2nd turn, I lodged the car on top of the outside berm, had to shift into reverse and was barely able to get free.  This put me at least 20 seconds behind the pack to start the day.  After that, I was able to hang close, but several seconds behind the German gang on each run.  Then, at the lunch break, we had a heavy downpour for about 15 minutes.  The course became a mud pit!  The Z3 and the 911 called it a day rather than battle the mud.  The Cayman did one lap and then packed it up.  I was the only RWD'er to endure the final runs and put up a complete time.  So, although I was the slowest of the group, I get to claim the win!  lol!  Wet, muddy, fun day!

ojannen
ojannen Reader
7/13/22 9:02 p.m.

It still counts.  I wimped out at lunch time.  No trailer made me nervous.

I really enjoyed German sports car class.  You should bring the e36 next time if we can avoid that soft bit next to the trees.

Lof8 - Andy
7/14/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to ojannen :

It would definitely have to be a very smooth track for me to consider bringing the e36...and dry weather. And the firm staff would have to post a track preview.  It'd be fun but chances are slim.  

Lof8 - Andy
7/17/22 7:08 p.m.

Finally jumping into this 2zz swap. So far, this is much easier to work on than a normal car. Probably because I have everything already out of the way.  Gotta get ready for this mid engined showdown in October!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/22 7:56 p.m.

That MR2 cart is gonna fly.

Lof8 - Andy
7/23/22 5:56 p.m.

A few cool recent rallyx pics. 

the car lift came in handy for jet ski trailer repairs laugh

Lof8 - Andy
7/25/22 7:19 p.m.

Slowly picking away at it

Lof8 - Andy
7/29/22 4:58 p.m.

My first solo engine extraction. Went about perfect.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/8/22 2:28 p.m.

I've got a couple of neat updates.  Took the Jeep out wheeling for the first time.  We went to a cool little wooded area in Parrish where I've played before when we had 4 wheelers.  Ate some tacos at the little Mexican food truck, rode about 15 miles of trails, took a dip in a little creek, and my buddy rolled is Land Cruiser onto its side.  I pulled him upright with my winch and the damage was minimal.  jeep performed great and we had a fun day!

Last weekend, I took the YXZ over to the Bullring track for a night of door-to-door racing.  I've been out there before to watch and been pretty hesitant because of the potential carnage.  But since the Firm has stopped allowing SXS's in their main rallyx series, I decided I needed to give it a try.  I signed up for amateur naturally aspirated class. There were 9 other cars in this class.  (There were 8 or 10 total classes).  They split our group into 2 heats.  We got 2 practice sessions before the racing began.  It didn't take long to figure out that the track is tight and passing is very difficult.  The whole experience behind the wheel in this scenario is very chaotic.  Things are happening very quickly and your mirrors are near useless with dirt flying and the cars sliding around constantly.  At least in Champcar, or on a circle track, you can glance to your mirrors to know who's close and where they are.  Not so much out here.  

In my heat race, I started inside of row 2.  It was a 6 lap race.  I was able to pass 1 guy and got passed by another, for a 3rd place finish in the heat.  This earned me an inside of row 3 start position for the 8 lap main.  Between my heat and main, I watched 5 or 6 cars roll over, one of those pretty violently with 3 or 4 rolls, several tires debeaded, and an intentional hit to a driver's left rear to take him out.  The level of anxiety waiting around between races is always very high for me and I don't have much fun during that time.  The things I was watching out there weren't helping.   

Finally it was time to suit up and get in line to take the track.  5th starting position out of 10 cars.  With the track's lack of good passing opportunities, I knew my best chance would be at the start and into turn 1.  As we're doing a pace lap, I'm thinking to myself, "I really should have wiped down my visor better, the baby wipe left some smudges".  We come around to the last turn to the "hit zone", where the leader gets to choose when he hits the gas, and the group starts screaming.  I get a pretty good start, aim low, and get 1/2 a car under the guy in front of me before the turn.  Most of the group stays mid track for a good line into 1.  I dive down low and brake late like a maniac!  As the turn tightens, I'm forced waaay inside going right at a big tractor tire marking the inside of the corner.  I stay aimed mostly at the tire because I'd rather hit that than smash the side of a competitor.  I hit the tire pretty good and get hung up on top of it, then, Bam!, someone whacks me in the back and pushes me off the tire!

As I accelerate away from the tire, "Holy E36 M3! there's only 2 dudes in front of me!"  Those 2 dudes mostly avoided any of the bumping and resulting delays in turn 1.  They've got a little gap now.  After 2 or 3 laps, I'm up on the bumper of 2nd place, but there's just no good way to make a clean pass.  Had he made any mistake, I'd have got 2nd, but I was very content to be on the podium and not willing to drive dirty or push him out of the way to try and move up.  I was definitely not expecting a podium.  I got very lucky with my aggressive turn 1 move.  It was a wild night and I had a blast!

The car took a couple of good hits through the night, but all appears to be ok.  The door-to-door stuff is a whole different ballgame than rallyx.  The adrenaline is much higher, but so is the risk.  I think I prefer the rallyx game more, where you can focus more on your own driving.  It is certainly a much lower stress activity than the door-to-door racing.  Took home a podium, a little trophy, and a little cash.  I'll cerrtainly be back to watch again, I'm unsure if I'll be back to participate.

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/22 11:18 a.m.

DUUUUDE. Didn't know you had a jeep. We gotta link up for a trail ride soon. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/18/22 12:37 p.m.

That's awesome!  Any video of the race?

Lof8 - Andy
8/18/22 2:23 p.m.
B13Birk said:

DUUUUDE. Didn't know you had a jeep. We gotta link up for a trail ride soon. 

Yeah buddy!!  Let me know when you're going next!  Sept 10 is a north Florida gambler event in Jax. I'm hoping my buddy will tow my jeep up for me. I'll be hauling up my YXZ and a couple karts for playing on the JIR track.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/18/22 2:38 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

That's awesome!  Any video of the race?

Go to 1:16:20 for the start of my main. Seems my recollection was a little off.  I made one more pass after turn 1. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/18/22 2:55 p.m.

Awesome!  Some great footage of you.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/18/22 3:04 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Awesome!  Some great footage of you.  

Lol. Yeah!  I don't know the cameraman but he seemed to like me! 

Lof8 - Andy
8/19/22 3:36 p.m.

A couple of cool happenings lately.  My little enclosed trailer/camper is pretty sweet and I've gotten a lot of use out of it over the last few years.  The only problem is it doesn't fit anything bigger than a SXS (or SmartCar).  So I've been eyeing larger enclosed trailers for a while, trying to find the right mix of cost and size without being impossible to tow with my company issue V6 F-150.  I knew they existed, but I hadn't seen a (used) all aluminum enclosed trailer in all my hunting.  Then an aluminum 22 footer popped up in Jacksonville.  I was there within 2 days to drag it home.  Ideally, it wouldn't have a black exterior, but I'm exploring options to change that.  I've also ordered a rooftop a/c unit for it.  I'll have to remove the generator enclosure in order to fit my 18' long Crown Vic, but that looks easy enough to do.  The interior is nicely finished with cabinets, white aluminum walls and diamond tread floors.  Should be a decent enough place to "camp" after my wife gives it a few interior touches.  I'll probably build a Murphy bed to fold up nicely on the passenger side wall.

A local buddy and I flew out to Denver last week to meet up with one of my highschool friends, who lives out there, to join the Colorado Gambler 500.  I've had enough fun at the Florida events to want to experience some others.  We cruised Denver a bit, hit some watering holes then headed out to the mountains.  Thursday night we camped on our own and were greeted by a Moose family in the campsite in the morning.  Friday, we hit some hot springs, a ghost town, and ate some pizza and rode some baby tourist "rapids" in Salida.  Then we departed to the event headquarters in Mosca, aka bumfuk nowhere!  We pulled into the dumpy gator farm and were greeted by a dusty field, piles of junk, a mix of 2 Live Crew and ice cream truck music, and a small gathering of "Gamblers". 

The trip was a blast!  I estimate we did about 60 or 70 trail miles in my buddy's nice 4 Runner.  We considered buying a E36 M3box gambler after getting to CO, but didn't want to risk a breakdown and ruining our trip.  There were a bunch of beautiful views from the trail and one of the waypoints was a really amazing junkyard full of incredibly preserved old vehicles.  The vibe was nowhere near as wild as a FL event, and the attendance was probably a quarter of the FL gatherings, but it was really beautiful and a nice change of pace.  10/10, would Gamble again!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/22 3:44 p.m.

Sorry but I cannot let a 5 lug, flared 914 in your shop go without you commenting. Maybe I missed it because TL/DR, but...

ojannen
ojannen Reader
8/19/22 3:58 p.m.

That van is the greatest vehicle I have ever seen.

Lof8 - Andy
8/19/22 5:12 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Sorry but I cannot let a 5 lug, flared 914 in your shop go without you commenting. Maybe I missed it because TL/DR, but...

It's been my dads project for a long time - maybe 10 years but he hasn't really touched it for the last 5 or more. It's a bit rougher than it looks in pics, has some rust in various places but pretty good bones. He gave it to me a few months ago and also has a 6 cylinder in his garage.  I'm pretty booked with projects at the moment but I'll fix her up somewhere down the line.  I've always thought they were pretty rad cars!

Lof8 - Andy
8/23/22 8:37 p.m.

I may have just found the (future) direction for the 914. 

Lof8 - Andy
8/28/22 5:23 p.m.

2zz is bolted in!  Hoping to have it running in time to do a little testing before Challenge weekend. I'd love to get an autox or 2 in to really feel it out. Also, sold the old engine today for more than I paid for the 2zz!!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/22 9:43 a.m.

I've never been a big fan of the MR2 Spyder, but I kind of love yours.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/22 10:32 a.m.

I'm thinking you'll have a great shot at FTD at this year's Challenge autocross with that motor!

Lof8 - Andy
8/29/22 10:45 a.m.
dyintorace said:

I'm thinking you'll have a great shot at FTD at this year's Challenge autocross with that motor!

man, that is the goal!  I've gotten 2nd 3 years in a row, by tiny fractions of a second each time.  I just hope there aren't more bugs to work out than I have time to resolve.  fingers crossed!

Lof8 - Andy
8/29/22 10:52 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

I've never been a big fan of the MR2 Spyder, but I kind of love yours.

Thanks!  The lack of body panels does give it a significantly different shape and I don't think its a bad shape!

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4eQrMUhcu2xlzehVDUNjv89Lb3fYRUYR6B438QmXrLig08NhH2CHYoeORoWKbh9J