1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/6/22 9:06 p.m.

I knuckled down and tackled a pretty big project this weekend: the roll cage. I looked at a lot of pictures of ProTouring Camaros online to see what they did for a cage. It turns out that headroom in the first gen Camaro is minimal so I had to be careful with the tubes. I also had to incorporate my dimple died parcel shelf with the cage and that was really tricky. Link to video Episode 275: The cage is in

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/19/22 5:46 p.m.

I decided against the brackets that come with the Detroit Speed mini tubs and made my own dimpled ones

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/21/22 8:49 p.m.

I have been working on the car, welding in reinforcements and grinding welds. I didn't have enough good video to put an episode together last week but here is the latest Episode 276 Make It Stronger

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/3/22 5:42 p.m.

I'm so happy to be back to making good progress on the car. Simply welding up holes and grinding welds was not rewarding or worthy of making a video. This weekend I welded the Detroit Speed firewall filler plate in and am pleased with the results. Episode 277 How to install a Detroit Speed firewall fill plate

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/3/22 6:02 p.m.

Truly next level work all around. Beaut.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/10/22 12:25 a.m.

Today I ordered the brakes for the car. In case you're wondering, I have 13.06 drilled and slotted discs in front with 6 piston calipers and 12.19 drilled and slotted rotors with 4 piston calipers out back. Here is the front kit from Wilwood Wilwood C5 Corvette Brake kit The rear is pieced together from the Wilwood catalog because my rear suspension uses a Ford 9" Grand National full floater diff housing. I am putting a Wilwood pedal kit in the car this weekend and hope to have a good video to share. Oh yeh, the front and rear suspensions have been ordered, too. Speedway Motors is still trying to figure out if I can pick them up from their warehouse in Lincoln.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/10/22 11:24 p.m.

The Wilwood pedals and master cylinders are installed, and here is the video about it Episode 278 How to install Wilwood pedals in a 1967 Camaro  I still have to make reinforcements for them but they're basically done. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/10/22 11:51 p.m.

I thought I had replied to this thread, but I was wrong. Fantastic work, do carry on!!!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/17/22 12:37 a.m.

Ok, the front and rear suspension is officially ordered and being built for me and the Wilwood brakes have also been ordered and are on the way. It's all very exciting. Today I spent 4.5 hours just welding up pin holes and repairing the chopped up dashboard and the shell of the car is almost ready for bodywork. I took no video because it's all rather boring but it needs to be done.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/22 8:33 a.m.

Exciting to have the suspension and brakes incoming. What type of brake proportioning adjustment will you have?

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Looks like balance bar. (note 3 master cylinders)

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/17/22 10:46 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

There is a balance bar between the front and rear master cylinders and I can adjust it right at the pedals or with a remote knob. I haven't decided which way I'm going to do it. If I use the remote knob, I'll probably hide it in the glove box or somewhere out of sight.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/17/22 9:13 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

There is a balance bar between the front and rear master cylinders and I can adjust it right at the pedals or with a remote knob. I haven't decided which way I'm going to do it. If I use the remote knob, I'll probably hide it in the glove box or somewhere out of sight.

perhaps in the console behind the shifter for easier accessibility? console???.....what was I thinking, there are no consoles in Full Blown Track Ratz!!!! 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/18/22 9:22 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I have to balance between track rat and beautiful street car. I pretend I'm building it for the Optima Ultimate Street Car competition and they have points for appearance and design

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/22 10:02 p.m.

Re balance bar remote knob, I'd put it within reach of my dominant hand while I'm belted in.

egoman
egoman Reader
4/18/22 11:29 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I have to balance between track rat and beautiful street car. I pretend I'm building it for the Optima Ultimate Street Car competition and they have points for appearance and design

That's whats guiding my build, whether it ever gets there.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
5/5/22 7:55 a.m.

The factory windshield wiper motor sticks out in the engine compartment and has the washer hoses and wires coming out of it. I installed a Raingear hidden wiper system and it cleans everything up. Episode 279 Installing Raingear Hidden Wiper System In the video, I also show the pedal bracket that I made

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
5/21/22 6:46 p.m.

I mounted a factory spoiler on the back and the fit is miserable so I'll be building something better. Also, I fit an Ididit tilt and telescopic steering column and it fits perfectly and was easy to install 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/3/22 10:16 p.m.

We went to Lincoln for some racing and to pick up a E36 M3 ton of parts for the Camaro. Click Here for the video. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/3/22 11:04 p.m.

Cool build, but once you go to YouTube videos for the updates then I'm out.  Hope it all works out like you want it to, the Suburban came out great! 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/3/22 11:07 p.m.
Sonic said:

Cool build, but once you go to YouTube videos for the updates then I'm out.  Hope it all works out like you want it to, the Suburban came out great! 

Sorry, you're saying you want pictures and updates written out here? I have been having a lot of trouble uploading pics to the forum from my laptop and have tried all the tricks but it usually doesn't work. I have to do them from my phone. I'll try to do better

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/4/22 10:53 a.m.

For some reason I was thinking ITB's for this bullet, but duh you already declared LSA. Are there any special considerations to address with regards to the supercharger? 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/4/22 10:46 p.m.
759NRNG said:

For some reason I was thinking ITB's for this bullet, but duh you already declared LSA. Are there any special considerations to address with regards to the supercharger? 

There is a guy with a first gen Camaro competing in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Competition and he was running an LSA but switched to an LS7 and went quicker. He said all the extra weight over the front killed performance. I've decided to go with an LS7. I mounted the front subframe with aluminum bushings and there was too big a gap so I stuck them in a lathe and took 10mm off. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/4/22 10:48 p.m.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/5/22 9:41 p.m.

The darn steering column runs right into a frame tube, it's going to take some effort to fix. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9T4g1tAf6ESp6BmwTo2J6MjrJJ7ukmYkS9WHBlmYQHUBCmnaygpHAt0UlfhBjDDN