jstancel
jstancel Reader
4/29/20 4:49 p.m.

After building an off-road Miata and making a Miata into a truck, a lowrider is the next logical step lol.

As a product of the 80s and teen in the 90s, the Euro Lowrider as well as OG lowriders have always been intriguing. 

Why a Miata? Well you see, the way my bank account is set up... 60s Impalas aren't in the cards. It just so happened, that I had a 1996 Miata in desperate need of some love. 

The plan:

1. Wire wheels - must be 13x7 reverse

2. Suspension that goes up and down - Due to packaging constraints with Miata trunk size and ease of use Bags > Hydros

3. Tunes - lowriders have to have bump, right?

4. Paint - Gotta have bassboat flake

5. Make it shine under the hood.

What I've completed so far:

1. Wheels are on. This process presented it's own list of issues. Some were expected while others were a little more sneaky.  Have you ever picked up a wire wheel and tire combo? Almost threw my back out on these monsters of unsprung weight. Oh well, it's for fun not racing. Running true knock offs presented a couple problems. 1. 4x100 is such a small diameter that the holes on the wheel adapter were sunk so far in that lug nuts had to be tightened with an open-end wrench. The adapter itself was so large on the brake mounting surface that it interfered and required a spacer. With the spacer on the front, I estimate around an inch of backspacing.  There was no amount of camber gang / stance nerd tricks that would fit the wheels under the stock fender arches. A couple key strokes on Ebay presented me with 50mm flares to solve the issue. 

2. Air suspension came from Airtekk. Not super jazzed about what I was told over the phone and what arrived on my doorstep but I digress. It does the majority of what I hoped for.

3. There was no room for trunk rattling Jackie Chan in the trunk, so the rear parcel was the only option. Since this is a lowrider build, being understated is not an options. I opted for 3 subwoofers. Covered the box in a serape, not my best work but the sub set up is subject to change. 

I've always wanted a chain steering wheel. I know it wasn't on the to do list but the Momo wheel did not fit the vibe. 

Paint and more finishing work to come. Here's some pics of it's current state:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/29/20 4:50 p.m.

Car looks great! Nice pics too. I had some VIP cars for a while. Never had air, always static. 

Keep up the good work.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
4/29/20 5:47 p.m.

I am really digging this. I vote for having a lace paint job on the hardtop. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/29/20 6:34 p.m.

I can totally support this blasphemywink

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/20 6:58 p.m.

Needs an airbrushed hood mural!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/29/20 7:34 p.m.

I'm not upset. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
4/29/20 8:46 p.m.

I'm taken aback at how much better it looks than I imagined, hell yes.

And yes to lace hardtop, yes to hood mural.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/29/20 9:07 p.m.

Grew up in SoCal around Lowriders. Most were older American cars. Did see a mid 70's Celica lowriders, even had the small chain steering wheel. Had friends with Lowriders back then. Never really wanted one myself but definitely appreciate the workmanship on one that is well done. Attention to detail was fantastic. One trait they all had was skinny wheels, 5" if I remember right but I can understand going a bit wider with the 7". I agree, not as bad as it would appear on paper. Definitely better than the riced out ones running stretched tires and ridiculous camber riding on the inside edge of the tires. Also second the lace paint on the hardtop and maybe the sides with a mural on the hood. Would definitely put it all together. Thumbs up. 

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/20 6:50 a.m.

Another vote for lace paintjob on the hard top! 

I spy a boost gauge....?

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/20 7:36 a.m.

Needs moar lace!

ebelements
ebelements Reader
4/30/20 10:38 a.m.

I'm SUUUUUPER into this.

Wish it had a little less tire. Soething like 155/80s.

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
4/30/20 2:27 p.m.

In reply to ebelements :

Kind of what I was thinking, 13x7s look tiny on a G-Body or something but look almost too normal on a Miata. Do they make 10" wire wheels for a classic Mini or golf cart or something?

jstancel
jstancel Reader
5/4/20 8:02 p.m.
artur1808 said:

Another vote for lace paintjob on the hard top! 

I spy a boost gauge....?

Lace is one of the ideas I'm throwing around.

Yes, that's a boost gauge. It has a Jackson Racing supercharger on it. 

3 wheel achievement unlocked!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 8:39 p.m.

This may be my favorite Miata in the whole wide world! Needs panel paint on the sides, a trunk mural, and the lace top to be complete.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jf1zlcHODuyy2y6KxVd0RCzzh47fOQeEXi9kHBfNvPCFK5Tu0TYT9WTNbXy1RMxT