1 2 3 4 5 ... 52
Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/17 6:57 a.m.

Just noticed in one of your video clips that this thing has 2 fuel lines. It didn't leave Bowling Green that way

New goal of 500? Better dyno it. You might already be there too.

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
7/18/17 9:43 a.m.

looks great for a parts car! I'd slap a nose on it, single stage Kirker paint that, and add to the hard years...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/18/17 10:34 a.m.
Carro Atrezzi wrote: Just noticed in one of your video clips that this thing has 2 fuel lines. It didn't leave Bowling Green that way New goal of 500? Better dyno it. You might already be there too.

that's a great point. I am by no means an LS-engine expert. this is the first one for me. but, I need to look into that. a quick google search shows some with 1, some with 2. DYNO TOMORROW!! ;-)

Go_Gators
7/18/17 10:35 a.m.

GUESS WHO HAS A FLORIDA REBUILT TITLE.... this guy!!! paperwork nightmare complete! all fun from here.

Go_Gators
7/20/17 7:12 a.m.

Go_Gators
7/20/17 7:14 a.m.

Wednesday afternoon I ran the C5 on the same eddy current dyno at Mase Engineering that I had previously ran my BMW 330i ZHP(210hp). Video later this week.

Overall, the car ran great on the dyno. No smoke, engine temps stayed right at 200deg, no drama whatsoever.

The dyno tech ran 3 pulls. He had to make some adjustments after the first pull, resynch down the ratchet straps that hold the car in place and replace the air/fuel ratio O2 sensor. We had discussed stopping the pulls at around 6k rpm, which he did on the nose for the first pull. The subsequent 2 pulls it looks like he stopped the dyno a second too early and the data stops around 5k. Which sucks for a big cam engine presumably assembled to make big power at the top end.... In the excitement and limited visibility of the data onsite, it wasn't clear that the runs didn't go all the way to 6k rpm.

So looking at the plots you will see that pull 1 was vastly different than the fairly consistent pulls 2 and 3. To get a ballpark idea what the car would have made if he had run the dyno to 6k on pull 3 I extrapolated based on the curve of pull 1 for 5k to 6k rpm. The highest HP number the car actually put on the dyno was 382hp on pull 1, but it seems probable that it was capable of 400+hp. On pulls 2 and 3 it made 390ftlbs of torque. So, assuming a 15%-20% loss through the drivetrain, the engine is up near 500hp at the flywheel, as suspected. Also noting that the Mase dyno is an eddy current, not a hyd/fluid dynojet. Eddy currents are known to produce conservative/lower numbers than dynojets.

The most important part of the trip to Mase wasn't the dyno pulls though. After talking to the owner about the car and the fact that I have no idea what has been done regarding tune he offered to pull the tune that's currently on the C5's ECU and check it out. He plugged into the OBDII port with a laptop running HP Tuners and 5 minutes later we could view the tune characteristics. The car had definitely been tuned previously. Mase's quick assessment based on the maps and air/fuel results we saw on the dyno was that the tune was pretty conservative (slightly rich) so it's a "safe" tune for the engine and generally he said there isn't much he would change. Many of the OBDII parameters had been "turned off" to prevent nuisance check engine lights (ie, secondary cats, engine cyl misfires, rich/lean excursions). So, I don't plan on changing a thing anytime soon.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/17 7:24 a.m.

So you have a street-legal and titled 500 hp C5 Vette for the price of a decent C4. Good deal!!!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/17 11:22 a.m.

Ah...looking at that thing on the dyno. That's a good angle. I think I'd be inclined to fix it and cruise it. Get a really ratty one to kart. Just my 2 cents.

Go_Gators
7/20/17 12:57 p.m.
A 401 CJ wrote: Ah...looking at that thing on the dyno. That's a good angle. I think I'd be inclined to fix it and cruise it. Get a really ratty one to kart. Just my 2 cents.

yea, pics don't convey its ratty-ness. the interior is mint, but the body is a mess. ditches hurt.

Go_Gators
7/20/17 1:00 p.m.

So, here it is. shocker, no one had claimed it yet.

for those interested in the financials.... i paid the FHSMV office $489 in sales tax and rebuilt title issuance. then paid the tax collector / DMV another $341 for a new license plate and 2017 registration fees.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/17 1:12 p.m.

OK. I officially hate you

I like to buy high and sell low. I picked up my 2002 Z06 way back in 2006 and thought I got a steal at $34k.

Looking back, I could have scored a mint Porsche 930 for that. Back then nobody wanted the 911's for some reason. That thing would be worth house money now.

Go_Gators
7/20/17 1:39 p.m.
A 401 CJ wrote: OK. I officially hate you I like to buy high and sell low. I picked up my 2002 Z06 way back in 2006 and thought I got a steal at $34k. Looking back, I could have scored a mint Porsche 930 for that. Back then nobody wanted the 911's for some reason. That thing would be worth house money now.

in '06 that was a pretty darn good deal. I like to buy when vehicle's value has bottomed out.... I now have 4 vehicles that barely add up to $34k purchase prices [68 vette $11k, 98 vette $5k, e46 $13k, nissan truck $6k].....

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
7/20/17 4:00 p.m.

Great progress and great dyno runs -do you have any plans once this thing is in the new configuration to add some type of body work, a-la LoCost or aluminum panels of your own design? Or will it remain a tube cart like Roadkill's C4...

or the ultimate:

Cold War Motors Roadster

java230
java230 SuperDork
7/20/17 8:00 p.m.

You paid only 5k for that?! Ugh that's such a score

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/17 8:18 p.m.

Awesome! I hope to see it in action some time. Where do you plan to play with it on track?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/21/17 12:21 a.m.

All the body panels except the rockers/sills are bolt-on. Just saying. It will be a nice save or a sweet kart either way.

Go_Gators
7/21/17 5:48 a.m.
Agent98 wrote: Great progress and great dyno runs -do you have any plans once this thing is in the new configuration to add some type of body work, a-la LoCost or aluminum panels of your own design? Or will it remain a tube cart like Roadkill's C4... or the ultimate: Cold War Motors Roadster

that guy has skills.

it will be nearly complete open. I will add (likely Al with L stiffeners) sheet to give the engine some protection from the elements. Similarly over the cabin, its awfully sunny in FL, when its not raining. Otherwise, less panels is less work which is less time. free time is my ultimate constraint.

Go_Gators
7/21/17 5:52 a.m.
Lof8 wrote: Awesome! I hope to see it in action some time. Where do you plan to play with it on track?

primarily, autocross with JAXSOLO (SCCA buccaneer region) and corvette club NFCA. eventually some limited track time starting with FIRM in Starke. I will have to invest in a tow dolly or upgrade my pickup truck to tow a full trailer. I am comfortable driving it to autocrosses... less comfortable driving it to track days..TBD

Go_Gators
7/21/17 11:28 a.m.

video for pulls 2 and 3 on the dyno. you will see from the graphics (using trackaddict app) that the car def reaches 6k rpm on the pulls. audio is pretty good, enjoy.

dyno video

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/21/17 11:36 a.m.
Agent98 wrote: Great progress and great dyno runs -do you have any plans once this thing is in the new configuration to add some type of body work, a-la LoCost or aluminum panels of your own design? Or will it remain a tube cart like Roadkill's C4... or the ultimate: Cold War Motors Roadster

It's off topic, but go watch the other videos from Cold War Motors - they do some fun stuff with old cars there.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/21/17 11:38 a.m.
Go_Gators wrote: video for pulls 2 and 3 on the dyno. you will see from the graphics (using trackaddict app) that the car def reaches 6k rpm on the pulls. audio is pretty good, enjoy. dyno video

If nothing else it sure sounds mean.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/21/17 11:57 a.m.

So, you got everything from the build thread to the title, from the number plate to the dyno sheet. When does the actual cutting begin that will turn this old Corvette into a Kart?

Go_Gators
7/21/17 12:07 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: So, you got everything from the build thread to the title, from the number plate to the dyno sheet. When does the actual cutting begin that will turn this old Corvette into a Kart?

soon. tag/title, dyno and some miles were all I really wanted to accomplish in 'vette-like' form. I am busy at work for the next two weeks. so, I will probably delay till I can take a couple day off to get the thing on blocks and remove the body. then its sales time! I don't want to pull too much more $ out to buy parts for this, so 'build' pace will be determined by part out sales and free-time...

Go_Gators
7/26/17 2:35 p.m.

On the day we brought her home... a friend recorded some of the early discoveries. Video from Spectro racing: spectro racing intro video

Looking like august 7-8 will be demo days... planning on mounting my go pro from the overhead of my garage to take pics every 5 minutes or so... might make for a fun slide show...

java230
java230 SuperDork
7/26/17 2:47 p.m.

Do it faster than every 5 min

1 2 3 4 5 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VIvyqABrtx0Wl37WPS3ecGOcXglx64DFIve8gf1BKWYZWS5OGZRSVUr1uMXj7wLD