Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/22 10:58 a.m.

Will you be at St. Marys this weekend?

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/22 7:52 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Will you be at St. Marys this weekend?

yep, will be there saturday. i am designing course, should be a fun one!  

3/3/22 12:33 p.m.

Big day this past Saturday.  First, hopefully not last, SCCA Solo Event Fast Time of the Day (FTD)!!!!  i posted the fastest time of the 88 drivers making runs!

i have run 4 events since Oct, 2 events were in the rain, the other 2, i was the fastest on site!  To say the LS1-KART has come around is an understatement! It is good. 

We did 5 runs, i blew the "U" turn on runs 1-3 while slowing from full throttle 3rd gear to ~25mph to make the tight turn around. On runs 4 and 5 i felt i did a very adequate job throughout the course, with the exception of loose on entry episode on the 2nd half of the course on run 4.  Run 4 was ~1.5sec slower than run FTD run 5.  I caught the loose slip quickly and jumped right back in the throttle, but obviously lost time and speed. SInce the runs were near identical, otherwise, i made a comparo of those two runs. Sure enough, the runs are virtually identical except for the catch!

youtube link

3/8/22 12:03 p.m.

More great LS1-KART photos, these by one of our club members, Aidan.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/8/22 12:32 p.m.

Congrats!  Did you ever find the root of your oil consumption issues?  Just curious!

3/9/22 11:48 a.m.
golfduke said:

Congrats!  Did you ever find the root of your oil consumption issues?  Just curious!

Maybe?

I installed a catch can... it caught 120ml in only ~100 miles and 5 autox runs... So clearly excessive oil is getting pushed into the PCV system.

A fellow LS guy turned me on to the early LS oil consumption theory that the valve covers with an integral baffle and PCV dont drain well resulting in oil from the baffle getting sucked into the PCV sys. 

So, after internet-ing, i decided to try the free solution. i drilled more drain holes...  Before pic:

After:

3/9/22 5:53 p.m.

Finally got around to editing full view videos of my best two runs from last autox. Second run shown is my fifth, which was FTD!

youtube link

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
3/9/22 10:21 p.m.

Status check: would all of us be checking this thread regularly over a banged up $5800 C5 convertible? Answer - probably not....

3/10/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Agent98 :

thanks for checking in!

lol.

3/30/22 1:53 p.m.

Ran strong at Jax Solo Event 3 held at The FIRM. 

Put down the 5th overall fastest raw time of 107 drivers. 

The four ahead of me, the first two own/operate Brunton Stalker racecars, the third is a semi-pro driver in a 500hp civic type R track car and some guy named JG in a track prepped Z06, that perhaps you have seen... 

So, pretty happy bing behind them and the fastest non-trailered car!

Some great pics by Kyle S..

3/30/22 1:56 p.m.

On a less than great note... though.... when i got back home, after the ~110 miles and 5 autocross runs, i drained more than 1 cup of oil out of the catch can. So the catch can works and the valve cover modification certainly didnt!!  Not sure where to go next to reduce oil leaving the engine... 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/22 2:16 p.m.
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) said:

On a less than great note... though.... when i got back home, after the ~110 miles and 5 autocross runs, i drained more than 1 cup of oil out of the catch can. So the catch can works and the valve cover modification certainly didnt!!  Not sure where to go next to reduce oil leaving the engine... 

I haven't really read through the whole thread to see what you've tried so far, but I've heard of people putting a drain line directly off of the catch can down into the oil pan, just with a one way check valve so it can only go into the pan. Not sure if that would work for you, but I figured I throw it out there. 

3/31/22 6:51 a.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

I haven't really read through the whole thread to see what you've tried so far, but I've heard of people putting a drain line directly off of the catch can down into the oil pan, just with a one way check valve so it can only go into the pan. Not sure if that would work for you, but I figured I throw it out there. 

I have considered this... Its essentially how BMW (having replaced the system on my E46) and other more complex PCV systems work.  Not ready to do that yet, but its not off the table!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/22 9:12 a.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

I have considered this... Its essentially how BMW (having replaced the system on my E46) and other more complex PCV systems work.  Not ready to do that yet, but its not off the table!

Well, when you put it that way it sounds bad. Hahaha. I've been thinking of doing a catch can in place of my CCV on my e46... Pros and Cons to each I guess. 

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
4/1/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

My solution was plugging the valve covers and pulling pressure from under the intake. Or in the case of an LS from the valley cover would be the same.

Valve cover venting just sucks because no matter what there is a constant mist of oil in suspension thanks to the rockers, springs, valves, all moving up and down. The baffling that is typically used isn't that great either. Yes it blocks direct splash but it usually creates a pinch point where crankcase pressure more easily pushes the oil mist in the direction of flow (towards the pcv).  I decided to pull the pressure from the valley area as the lifters/pushrods are likely throwing around a lot less oil and therefore a less dense oil mist. The vents are also located farther away from the lifters distance wise than valve cover vent is. Which also allows no baffle to be used, meaning no pinch point to create a scenario where the mist is being pushed to the vent at an accelerated rate. My vents are two -12 lines to a large catch can with internal baffles and two filter vents. I figured two large vent lines would provide enough airflow at a lower pressure differential to keep any oil that did make it to the vent line from automatically being "pumped" to the catch can by the air/pressure following it. So far I've run this setup 2-3 years and the catch can has had more condensation moisture in it than oil in that time.

4/2/22 3:29 p.m.
Asphalt_Gundam said:

My solution was plugging the valve covers and pulling pressure from under the intake. Or in the case of an LS from the valley cover would be the same.

Valve cover venting just sucks because no matter what there is a constant mist of oil in suspension thanks to the rockers, springs, valves, all moving up and down. The baffling that is typically used isn't that great either. Yes it blocks direct splash but it usually creates a pinch point where crankcase pressure more easily pushes the oil mist in the direction of flow (towards the pcv).  I decided to pull the pressure from the valley area as the lifters/pushrods are likely throwing around a lot less oil and therefore a less dense oil mist. The vents are also located farther away from the lifters distance wise than valve cover vent is. Which also allows no baffle to be used, meaning no pinch point to create a scenario where the mist is being pushed to the vent at an accelerated rate. My vents are two -12 lines to a large catch can with internal baffles and two filter vents. I figured two large vent lines would provide enough airflow at a lower pressure differential to keep any oil that did make it to the vent line from automatically being "pumped" to the catch can by the air/pressure following it. So far I've run this setup 2-3 years and the catch can has had more condensation moisture in it than oil in that time.

though i havent seen/heard anyone going that route on an LS, i fully agree with the logic. Will have to look at the valley pan to intake space closer to confirm it viable. Appreciate the idea! 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
4/2/22 5:09 p.m.

But, if I'm following correctly, you might be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the catch can vents. 

Might not make a difference but it could

4/4/22 6:50 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

But, if I'm following correctly, you might be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the catch can vents. 

Might not make a difference but it could

this is true... however, thats how it came from the OEM (port located after MAF, before throttle body)... So, i guess is minimal, relatively... 

4/4/22 6:37 p.m.

Here is video of a couple of my better runs from the FIRM. Calling it a FUTD. Fastest Untrailered TIme of the Day.

Pretty happy with my driving and the kart felt great. looking forward to another go this Saturday.

youtube link

4/4/22 6:42 p.m.
Asphalt_Gundam said:

though i havent seen/heard anyone going that route on an LS, i fully agree with the logic. Will have to look at the valley pan to intake space closer to confirm it viable. Appreciate the idea! 

So apparently LS6 valley covers have an integral one.. they are fairly cheap too!

4/11/22 1:44 p.m.

Ordered and recieved an LS6 valley cover, repro, on Amazon, ~$90. not sure when it will go on, but here's what it looks like. 

4/11/22 1:50 p.m.

The kart took P1 and P2 overall (86 entries) raw time at Event 5! 

A normally FWD, semi-pro wheel to wheel, driver co-drove with me and put down a 69.6sec run and i managed a best of 70.7sec. 

We both had a blast, the kart is running and handling at the highest level it ever has. Grip is superb and neutral, rear slip is tame-able and consistent. 

Kyle S took a bunch of nice photos:

4/11/22 1:55 p.m.

and a few less flattering.. 

these are 'course re-entry' shots after a slight deviation from the tarmac....

4/11/22 6:48 p.m.

Video clip of Jon's FTD run and my runner up run... plus the run that led to the picture above...

youtube link

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/12/22 9:25 a.m.

Watching you live at St Marys was fun.  Better than the video.  But... gotta say, its time to install a safety net on the driver's left side.  yes

YMMV

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UjPsyEqwMLFGiLR1iyYOwFgOCkcgEqy85ITToMpRavbav3gCsqM3mGbp9zAy1aP7