1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 52
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/23 1:10 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Did you keep the old Bhousing?

i do have it... its sitting in my scrap pile... have a need for it?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/8/23 1:21 p.m.

May i vote for "very interesting lampshade?"

2/8/23 1:46 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

May i vote for "very interesting lampshade?"

I am keeping the mangled former front bumper/frame to use as a picture frame or wall hanging some day... but i find the bell housing to be less decorative. lol

2/16/23 10:18 a.m.

for the first time since GRM $2k challenge, the karts gotta go on the trailer (for an event) tomorrow before sundown... 

at this point it is simply prioritizing the small jobs that remain. i really, really, really, need to get it out on the road and go scrub the  RT660s back in. they still have the drag strip goop on them. But, to do that i need brake lights, which i may have to wire straight from the switch rather than try to sort whats wrong with the convoluted factory arrangement. after that the dash has to go back in, glare is terrible without it. 

Intake tube should be here today, provided amazon doesnt fail me. 

things on the hopeful list (no particular order) are a passenger seat, dialing in the rear brake bias, tidy up wiring, brakelights/headlights, radiator shroud, roll cage padding....  ya know, optional sh!t.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/23 10:48 a.m.

All in all, this has been an INCREDIBLY fast turnaround! Your pace of work, given family, work, etc, is stunning!

2/16/23 12:49 p.m.
dyintorace said:

All in all, this has been an INCREDIBLY fast turnaround! Your pace of work, given family, work, etc, is stunning!

thanks. but, really this kinda stuff goes quickly (which is why i like it)... not like i am block sanding a Cadillac here!

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/20/23 2:02 p.m.

thank you for letting me ride in this, definitely puts you back in your seat

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
2/20/23 7:45 p.m.

Should you have any inkling of repairing the bell housing may I suggest Morgan Performance Fabrication. Located in the Hoover Al. area. Morgan Walker is the man in question....Loosecannon on the forum has used him and no I'm not related wink. 205 985 1953 mpfab.com..................late

2/22/23 7:00 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Should you have any inkling of repairing the bell housing may I suggest Morgan Performance Fabrication. Located in the Hoover Al. area. Morgan Walker is the man in question....Loosecannon on the forum has used him and no I'm not related wink. 205 985 1953 mpfab.com..................late

roger, thanks!

2/22/23 7:01 a.m.

Event 1 was Saturday.  Was quite the thrash to get it minimally operable by then…. And that showed on Saturday, as I expected.  Kart was super loose at elevated speeds. Rolling into the throttle made the rear skid-ish, it doesn’t convey in the video, but I was constantly modulating the throttle to try and keep it straight. So, apparently, the huge wing and splitter, that there wasn’t time to reinstall, were in fact very much functional!  They will be back on by E2, also at The FIRM.

Additionally, the removal of ABS made braking zones a challenge, Cabin smoke was fairly routine… Its extremely hard to tell what tire was locking up, they don’t screech, just slide. Need more goes to get the bias dialed in. It didn’t help that it was ~50 degs out and the tires never really got to temps..

My best run, which was very cautious, 2nd run of my day, put me in ~25th overall of 125. Not bad for the first time out considering the scramble that preceded. Video of the best run and some off roading:

youtube link

2/22/23 7:03 a.m.

3/1/23 9:08 a.m.

Working down the priority list... 

Made an aluminum heat shield/cover that fits over the opening in the frame above the diff//trans/exhaust.  I had one on the previous build, but it was based on having the battery behind the main hoop. This one is much lighter and simpler. Since its already mid-eights here in FLA, keeping all that heat under the car and not in the cabin is highly important - to me!

Taking a halfday off today. Should be a wing update tomorrow!

3/2/23 9:41 a.m.

Wing process actually went a lot quicker than expected... here is how the sausage was made... Basically, just put it back like it was, except ~10inches further back. 

while paint was drying on the up rights i even had time to refit the hood, tweaking it the variances in the front end and intake. 

3/2/23 9:44 a.m.

And here it is back on!

Next up on the to do (again) list is:

splitter...

fuel cap closure..

passenger side kick panel...

3/6/23 9:01 a.m.

saturday i finally made time to get the scrap metal out of my driveway. 

of course, i had the entire wrecked car frame and remnants of the burnt car to recycle...

had 584lbs of steel alone...

3/6/23 9:05 a.m.

sunday, i got started on splitter 4.0...

after priming it did kinda look like a big open canvas... so i let my kids (and neighbor kid) have a go at the underside. The top will be black of course.

not that the kart evers sees a lift, but if it does, this should bring a chuckle...

3/9/23 6:54 a.m.

splitter on!

3/16/23 6:50 a.m.

spent a few afternoons this week converting what was roof 1.0 into radiator shroud 3.0. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
3/16/23 7:53 p.m.

You, this, is simply amazing and it is probably addressed earlier in this thread. tell me about the panel above the driver's compartment in the roll cage.....new or ?

spandak
spandak Dork
3/17/23 1:49 a.m.

What a turnaround! This car is rad 

3/20/23 6:55 a.m.

Appreciate it guys.

The 'roof' panel is version 2.0, probably 3 years old at this point.. i made it when i got more serious about track days, the curvature was necessary to get from over the car back to the radiator. 

Its insulated on the bottom side and held down with two ratchet straps; intalls/removes in a like a minute..

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/20/23 8:43 a.m.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I agree, the turn around time is impressive.

I'm working this Saturday, so I'm going miss you at the Firm, but I'll be at Amelia in March. Have fun!

3/24/23 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

boo.  FIRM on a bad day (ask how i know)  > Work on a good day.

3/24/23 1:29 p.m.

As Doc inferred, E2 is at FIRM tomorrow... 

Feel like the ole kart is getting close to being as prep'ed as it was pre-wall-episode... 

The aero bits are back on and slightly improved. i have put quite a bit of around town miles on it lately. weather forecast is perfection. 

The A7 scrubs went on yesterday and it'll go on the trailer when i get home. 

My biggest concern is the continuation of trying to learn the braking limits and adjusting the bias... (now that it is ABS-free)

3/27/23 9:35 a.m.

Wow,  what a difference. E1 was frightful, E2 delightful.

Kart was glued.  Clearly putting the splitter and wing-thing back on make a world of difference. 

I never left the tarmac and put power down with confidence. Only raw time ahead of me was a GT4 with lots of modifications. 

Roy S took a ton of great pics too. Here are a few.. They suggest to me the suspension is working/set pretty well. 

I find this one slightly incriminating... 

1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7868p5IF6Mgj1ziGhGuaN2bmZM7aav2MeNoK1FrFJRRkK6Uu8sAVDXnnD17mAUW9