1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 52
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/22 6:54 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Watching you live at St Marys was fun.  Better than the video.  But... gotta say, its time to install a safety net on the driver's left side.  yes

YMMV

Thanks! i dont often get the perspective of it going by from the sideline, but i did while Jon piloted. Biased, but i have to say its impressive. 

I actually do have a window net setup for it! If i ever get down to drag race it, the net would be required.

4/14/22 12:06 p.m.

Having Jon co-drive the kart gave me a great opportunity, too not only see it go by at speed... but, also compare where he was faster than myself. Overall, his best run was 1.1 sec faster than mine (and my run was 1 second faster than the next fastest entry at teh event - 86 overall).  Think he may have had runs even faster than that, but there were timing issues and down cone issues - it was so windy, upright cones were actually being blown over causing tons of re-runs.

I have sync'ed his best run with mine. To keep the action close, i had to resync (+0.6sec) about 25 seconds into the runs. Then again towards the end, i had to add another 0.8sec to keep the action side by side (total of 1.4sec).  That resync-ing resulted in me actually finishing first by about a quarter second as i was actually a bit claener and faster through the final elements. So, that sums up to right at the total delta between the runs.

My take away from the comparison is that he carried more speed into the runway turn transitions. i got off the gas too early and braked too early or too cautiously. Otherwise, our inputs are pretty similar. Will def try to file this lesson away for next time!

youtube link

4/25/22 1:27 p.m.

Had, by far, the best track day yet at The FIRM this past Friday.

For the first time, felt more driver, than mechanic. Was able to do a handful of long stints (20+ laps) in the kart. 

Unlike last year at The FIRM, temps were kept in check. Coolant stayed steady at 195. Oil ranged from 230-237. I was able to stop gauge watching and really actually focus on driving. Here are the metrics for the day.... 

Ran a bit more than 120 laps overall, accumulating more than 180 miles on the track (and only a few hundred yards of off-track mileage...) 

Spent just under 3 hours in the seat and was never passed, literally, no other driver caught up with the kart all day. I didnt have to do a single point by. Granted, there were only about a dozen driver overall and mostly miata flavored.. 

My expectations were low for the tire set i brought as they have seen a full autocross season and 2 previous trackdays. They were toast, but still afforded me the seat time i went for!  They were so bad that even hot, they didnt sling gravel up from the pit road!

Even though the tires were ghosts of their previous selves, i was able to improve my lap times by 3-4 secs generally. going off times from TrackAddict, so, certainly not the most precise, but good enough... had 35 laps at 1:20.xxx, 24 laps at 1;19.xxx and two laps in the 1:18 range.  Super happy with those times, on those tires... 

Fuel consumption was typical. Burnt about 38 gallons of premium, figure 5mpg... Oil consumption has improved, some... Over the course of the day i drained out about 3 cups from the catch can. And replenished about 3.5 quarts... So,  more than 3 quarts are still unaccounted for... which is better than the 5+ i left in the air at RRR... 

4/26/22 11:17 a.m.

regarding the few hundred yards of distance spent "off-track"... here is the video of those moments... 

youtube link

Pic pertains.. 

karts fine! splitter is now even less pristine though...  might be time to go version 2.0 on it... 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/26/22 11:41 a.m.

Productionize your splitter, they are consumables.

4/26/22 12:35 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Productionize your splitter, they are consumables.

Ha, yea, still have the posterboard template from 1.0!  pretty surprised i got ~2 years out it! 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
4/27/22 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Definitely an "oh E36 M3" moment

4/27/22 5:02 p.m.

So, here is the longer version. Feel like some of my best and most consistent laps are featured. Far from perfect, but satisfied with times and effort.  More than 15 minutes of LS-screaming in this one!  

youtube link

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
4/27/22 5:55 p.m.

Kudos for posting your less-flattering moments!

just countersteer faster - easier said than done!

4/28/22 6:49 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

Kudos for posting your less-flattering moments!

just countersteer faster - easier said than done!

Ha, yea, thanks. one of the great things about the kart is the freedom to push its (and my) limits as there really isnt much penalty for going off tarmac... My little beaching situtation would have been thousands of dollars of damage on a bodied vehicle... kart, a bit of plywood. 

Agree, should have put more input in on the major off. Think it was a combination of me jsut being plain tired and tires being plain beat... 

6/7/22 7:37 a.m.

Event 6 of the Jax Solo season was Saturday. I had a co-driver and it was florida in june warm. 

Kart was great. i designed/setup the course, which turned out deceptively tricky, particularly in the outbound direction. Though my times were quicker, i think my co-driver found more speed in that direction. 

youtube link

I managed another FTD, this one by only 0.1sec. That makes 4 of the last 7 events. Video features a nice photo burst, that shows weight transition through a corner, kind of a cool perspective.  Clips are my FTD run, co-drivers best run and my 3rd and 4th runs. For the latter runs my passengers were my next door neighbors - some of the folks who get the joy/horror of the kart firing up and heading out, occasionally at 0600!

6/7/22 7:53 a.m.

In other news, i have come off the wallet a bit, call it birthday gifts to myself.... 

On order are a full set of  koni yellows from Sam Strano.  Suspect these will be a noticable upgrade over my OE shocks! 

Already received are two sets of 18x11 flowone wheels, brand new from tirerack. They were on close out, down from $320+/ea to $110/ea... my second set i bought from a buddy who is a vendor at $70/ea!

the caveat is that these are for an M2. So bolt pattern is 120mm, vette is 120.65. Hubs are different too, but i have aluminum hubcentric bore adapters. lug nut taper is the same.  I dont know exactly what the manufacturers tolerance for the drilling of the lug holes is, but its got to be close to the 0.3mm variance in the holes of the two different lug patterns. i have mounted one of the wheels on to a hub, installed a few lugnuts, visually, looking at the lugs to lug bore on the other couple that dont have nuts installed, i cant visually see any asymmetry.  i setup a dial to look at the runout and it was better than a set a C5Z wheels i had around... So, although, its atypical, i consider myself a hotrodder, which to me means trying to make stuff work that shouldnt normally work together. In this case, its trying drastically nicer wheels than i would normally procure for this project.

Got a set of A7 scrubs, 275s from a racing outfit up north to put on one of the sets. i have never run on hoosiers, ever. Going to give it a go at some of the bigger events this fall!

So, i now have a set of A7s on light weight wheels for right at $1000!!!

nsogiba
nsogiba New Reader
6/9/22 10:41 a.m.

If it makes you feel any better, I've run Chevy wheels on BMWs and BMW wheels on Chevys with no issues. I know one guy on LS1Tech ran a set of M Parallels on his 69 Camaro for many years with no problems behind an LSA. 

I don't think the runout would pose a huge risk other than inducing vibration - the bigger issue might be side loading a stud/bolt (bending). I say send it!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/22 11:23 a.m.

Actually, the course was fine. In my case, the problem was all me. I got there with only enough time for one walk, that's not always enough for me. 

I know your courses, and I should have recognized that there would be a crossover right where you put it. What also threw me off was that I thought I had it figured out on my third run when I had a time recorded in live timing.   When I checked 10 minutes later it had been switched to DNF. It made it hard to figure out where I was off course, and no one ever said anything.

I really like your course designs, that's part of the appeal for joining the club at your events.

Now as to the video, watching your hands is amazing. Not a wasted motion. Talk about smooth!

6/9/22 1:36 p.m.
nsogiba said:

If it makes you feel any better, I've run Chevy wheels on BMWs and BMW wheels on Chevys with no issues. I know one guy on LS1Tech ran a set of M Parallels on his 69 Camaro for many years with no problems behind an LSA. 

I don't think the runout would pose a huge risk other than inducing vibration - the bigger issue might be side loading a stud/bolt (bending). I say send it!

Appreciate the second opinion. Oh, it will be sent! (got the A7s mounted to them today!)

6/9/22 1:40 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Actually, the course was fine. In my case, the problem was all me. I got there with only enough time for one walk, that's not always enough for me. 

I know your courses, and I should have recognized that there would be a crossover right where you put it. What also threw me off was that I thought I had it figured out on my third run when I had a time recorded in live timing.   When I checked 10 minutes later it had been switched to DNF. It made it hard to figure out where I was off course, and no one ever said anything.

I really like your course designs, that's part of the appeal for joining the club at your events.

Now as to the video, watching your hands is amazing. Not a wasted motion. Talk about smooth!

Yea, i was shocked when i saw you didnt post a time all day. Did you take any video that shows where you were going wrong? 

Thanks for the design nod, designing/setting up course is one of my favorite aspects of being a volunteer for the club. 

See ya next time!

6/10/22 7:35 a.m.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/10/22 9:38 a.m.

Yes! Gorgeous

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/22 9:54 a.m.

looking great!

6/10/22 10:20 a.m.

appreciate it.  looks like an RC car to me now!

6/21/22 9:51 a.m.

Showed the ole vette kart at the annual (first event post covid) Vettes at World Golf VIllage show this past saturday. Thanks to friendships with vette club leaders, i got a sweet spot!  This is thought to be one of the largest Vette-only shows in the SE, but its mostly older guys driving dealer serviced C7s and C8s. Needless to say, sitting back and watching thier reactions to my junk was amusing. 

(jump box for running portable DVD player showing  run videos.. not for starting the kart!)

(< Locke's dry sump LS6 widebody prepared '69)

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 12:52 p.m.

I have ridden in this a few times, and have been watching the progress as it's been developed and refined. I think putting it right up front makes perfect sense. It's an awesome car. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/23/22 1:54 p.m.

This photo is the perfect example of what  should be done with common sports cars. Of course most of the Corvette people think their cars are precious unique unicorns. Yours and Locke's are the real precious unicorns though.

7/11/22 8:17 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

This photo is the perfect example of what  should be done with common sports cars. Of course most of the Corvette people think their cars are precious unique unicorns. Yours and Locke's are the real precious unicorns though.

Concur! The rest of the show consisted of precious unique unicorns. 

7/11/22 8:27 a.m.

Jax Solo E7 was yesterday. Brutally hot. A coworker, and former C5 autocrosser, turned C8 order-fulfillment-waiter co-drove the kart. 

P1 for me, P2 for him on the overall raw time list, of 67 drivers. that makes 5 FTD-es in the last 6 non-rain events. 

for the first time ever, i think,  in my ~12 years of autocross i had clean and sequentially better runs! posted: 43.7, 43.5, 42.5, 42.4 and 42.3. 

I was the first car out and if i had put it on the trailer after my first run it would have ended up 3rd overall! Co-driver got the hang of it and was closing in on my times, ending his 5th run with a 43.3. 

This was the first event on Sam Strano Koni yellows and the cars reactions to weight transition were noticeable. Much flatter on the quick lateral transitions and a lot less nose dive under braking. Kart felt much more planted, thou a tad pushy, and obvious by my not hitting any cones, very controllable! Now its time to push it! 

If the weather cooperates, going to G-ville friday to drive in a straight line for the first time in the kart and my first time in 15 years! Call it a bit of prep for GRM challenge!

1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZxIZytLJY4pF5vunQYwGXrr0B1aVSe5zNvHEIHhvNmIrkcR95mkv6A0pBcTRIFRz