1 ... 8 9 10 11 12
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/19 7:23 a.m.

https://www.miata.net/garage/buzzer.html

There you go. It takes about 30 seconds :)

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/4/19 8:32 a.m.

Thanks!

bmw88rider
2/4/19 2:09 p.m.

So I got the most important mod done today. I get her some license plates first thing this morning. In and out in no time. It was a ghost town there today. So I got those mounted and pulled the car out a little bit and put on the other 2 hub rings. It helped with the vibrations but still wasn't 100% so I will still schedule a wheel alignment and tire balancing here soon but it's not a need to do immediately type thing. 

So coming home yesterday, I noticed a rather large clunk over some of the larger bumps. Forgetting what Doc said on the broken exhaust hanger, I started messing around under the car. Well, there it was true as life. As soon as I saw that I was like ohhh yeah....Duhhh. So I'm either going to get a mid-pipe made locally as a temp fix or just order a new exhaust ASAP. It'll just depend on how the costs look for my home closing and if I feel like doing the job twice. 

Other than that, The temp gauge sensor looks like a victim of a leaking CAS seal. It's not uncommon for that to happen and I saw oil back there. I wiped it all down and we will see if I need another CAS seal or not. It was supposedly replaced once.

Other than that, The car pulls really strong. I love it. It is a good motor and has plenty of juice even at 8500-9000 ft. I took her up into the canyons for the shake down drive. 

bmw88rider
2/4/19 9:54 p.m.

So....About that radio....Wow what a E36 M3 show that install was. The amp was wired for the ground by just stripping a section of wire and wrapping it around a bolt. The speakers didn't even fit the hole mounts. They used zip lock bags as a vapor barrier. The crossovers were just duct taped to the speakers and the tape failed a long time ago so they were bouncing around in the bottom of the door. I'm afraid to see what is under the dash when I get around to replacing the head unit. Since they wired a new power lead all of the way back to the battery I'm guessing it's too much to ask for that they would have used a proper wiring harness to wire it. 

On the plus side this is a perfect excuse to clean this all up. Starting with the mounts, I got one of the DDM 3 gauge mounts on the top and the radio on the bottom. Since there is no CD on the new head unit, I don't have a concern with the shifter interfering with the cd operations. Drop in some proper speakers with some fatmat and a small amp to drive them. 

So now, which 3 Gauges to put in there? The easy button will be moving the Boost there from the A Pillar, Water Temp, and either air/fuel or Oil Pressure. 

On an even better bit of news, Got a chance to measure the garage at the house I've got an offer on. I'll gain another 36 Sq Ft. floor space and the height is almost 18' I'll have enough room to build in a storage loft and keep the garage just that.....a garage if I want to. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/5/19 8:43 a.m.

Definitely put in a wide band O2 sensor and AFR gauge.  I like the AEM one.  Then give the Link the wide band input, that way you can actually tune the fueling under boost.  Right now, with just the narrow band, you can only tune under vacuum.

Were the zip loc bags at least the name brand ones?  Honestly its stuff like that, that makes me never want to have an aftermarket system installed in my cars. 

It's been awhile since I have and I know own two vehicles that I'd like to have double din Apple Car Play units installed in.  I'll be choosing the shop extremely carefully...

bmw88rider
2/8/19 5:47 p.m.

So got the head unit and the Radio/Gauge mount in today. Debating if I wait till I get the gauges in to mount it or if I do the radio install now and the gauges later. I'm thinking I'll do the later just to get it done while I'm home. 

I said enough of the crap exhaust system and placed an order with Bill and the crew at FM for a new 2.5" cat back system. So I'll have that project next weekend when I get home. 

I did pick a target date for the first HPDE in the car. I'm going to do a single day of the 2 day weekend at Pueblo in April with NASA. I figure this way I can figure out any issues with the car and get them fixed without blowing a whole weekend's entry fees and having an issue on the first day or something like that. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/8/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

What day you going?  I usually go on Saturdays.

bmw88rider
2/8/19 9:48 p.m.

Looking at Saturday. Just have to double check the schedule but I'll be in town all week so it just makes sense. 

bmw88rider
2/9/19 6:56 p.m.

So today was clean up the dash day. This car baffles me some times. I pull this out of the door today on the passenger side

It's literally all covered in duct tape with a zip lock vaper barrier. So I was scared to see what the dash wiring was going to look like. To my pleasant surprise it was perfect and done exactly as it should have been. So I was able to reuse the adapter harnesses and wiring the new stereo was a breeze. The dash tombstone was missing half the screws so that should take care of one of the rattles. I still need to get the gauges I want but at least the radio looks good and sounds good. 

Then back to another surprise. I saw that there was a receipt for a shifter rebuild kit so I figured I was good. Nope. Both seals looked like they were original and totally destroyed. I have a new kit coming for that now. 

Got the temperature probe replaced and the gauge works again. I'm still going to get a better gauge in the dash just to be safe. 

Tomorrow the old exhaust will come off. Since I head out of town all week on Monday, i will not be driving it all week and the new exhaust should be here by the time I get back.

I was also surprised to see no ABS on the car. It's not a big deal as early nineties ABS is nothing worth writing home about but I just figured it would have it and never even looked that close till today. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/10/19 11:05 a.m.

That’s some quality work right there.  I like the gauge panel, integrates well.

glad the temp gauge works again, I just replaced the wrong sender.

bmw88rider
2/10/19 5:19 p.m.

The 94-95 are one of the few Miata with a real temp gauge in them. It's not perfect but the 96-97 are basically warnings that you need to get ready for a head overhaul or not. 

Took the exhaust off. Super easy especially since I wasn't reusing the hangers. Took longer to cut it up for the trash then to take it off the car. The original hangers were toasted so I just cut those and ordered new. It was swiss cheese with multiple holes in it. 

I decided not to put another amp in it. With the quality speakers in the head rest and the wiring being all intact for the doors, i'm just going to toss some good door speakers in it and call it a day. Save me some time and weight. I'll have those next weekend to install. 

So, left to do in the next couple weeks before I close on my new house.  

1. Install the exhaust, speakers, and rebuild the shifter assembly with the new parts and seals. 

2. Foamectomy

3. Go helmet shopping. my helmet it SA2000...Probably not going to cut it. 

3. bleed the brakes and put on new pads

4. Balance the wheels/tires to get rid of the over 80 vibrations. I also need to get some heavy duty wheel cleaner to get the caked on brake dust off. 

Not too bad of a list overall. It's doable. 

It's extremely cold blooded on first start so I may look into that but once out of the driveway it's fine. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/19 6:07 p.m.

I think you’re mixing up the temperature and the oil pressure gauges. The 96+ cars have an oil pressure gauge that’s basically a 7psi warning light, but a real temp gauge. 

You have to really work at it to blow a Miata head gasket. The Link in the car has fairly aggressive overheat protection as well. 

bmw88rider
2/10/19 6:26 p.m.

That's right....Thanks Keith. I did. It's been ten years since I had my last NA. 

BTW, First one with the butterfly brace on it....It's great. Just noticed the difference just jacking the car up. It's the stiffest Na I've had. 

I must have trained my nephew well. I sent him some pictures were his response was dang that's sexy followed by when can I drive it. (17 Y/O) 

bmw88rider
2/12/19 9:41 a.m.

So I got a note that I've got a 32 Lb. box from Grand Junction coming tomorrow so it sounds like I'll have the exhaust to put in Sunday. That and I got a new motive power since the old one didn't survive the move. So I should be able to get the majority of the stuff knocked out Sunday. 

I'll just need to figure out what brake pads I want to run and get those on order and get my gauge package done and she will be done for a little while till I find out the next thing wrong. It's a good car the more and more I dig into it. You can tell it was a summer only car as there is not a lick of rust on it anywhere outside of the exhaust I just took off. 

bmw88rider
2/14/19 6:18 p.m.

Got a big box in the mail while I was back in TX and wasted no time getting to work. 

Went in quickly and built well. Bad news is there is still a thump in the rear so time to break out the pry bar and check things out. I am willing to bet the subframe bushings are probably toast but we will see.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/14/19 6:36 p.m.

How does it sound?  At least you won't be asphyxiated now!

bmw88rider
2/14/19 9:27 p.m.

Sounds really good. Only took it around the block so I didn't go far. It reminded me of my MSM with the Magnaflow I had on it. Little loud but not too bad. Just what you would figure with a turbo car.

So I finished up the speaker install and rebuild the shifter while I was in there. So fresh new seals on all of that. Got my replacement motive power bleeder for the one that broke so sunday I've got date with some brake bleeding and figuring out where the clunks are coming from in the rear. I'll also re-tighten up all of the new exhaust bits too. 

bmw88rider
3/3/19 5:38 p.m.

So I finally had a few dollars left over to get the gauges for the car. Will be doing the AEM X-Series WB O2 and the matching water temperature. I'll be moving the boost gauge down to the 3rd opening so I'll be all set. They will be in later this week which will be perfect as I'll have my house closing on the 18th and have a garage that is big enough to actually work in. 

I may or may not make the first track day I have in mind. We will see. Tough to think of a track day when I'm getting 8+" of snow. Still need to get the tires rebalanced and an alignment. I should get that in a couple of weeks. Got a Monday date with Wine Country Motorsports to get a new helmet as well.  There is a location near the office so I'll be doing some test fitting. 

bmw88rider
3/18/19 5:38 p.m.

So, its been a bit since I got to do anything to the car. 

Finally closed on my new house and the miata were the first to move in.

So now time to get to work since actually have some room now. 

I got my new helmet in and I need to put in a set of seats and rails to drop down 2" to be safe. Looks like time for some seats that will drop me to the floor. I think the combo of the TDR ultrashields and rails should work. Going to look for a used set of 17" seats and see what I've got. 

Also, I have the gauges in now and the next update will be of my install of those. Too much happening for the april track day I wanted to hit but I'll be out there soon.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/19/19 8:32 a.m.

Push comes to shove you can install the Hanksville Hotrods drop floor.  I just could cut up such a nice car doing it.

bmw88rider
3/21/19 7:43 p.m.

I should be fine. I bought my seats yesterday when I was in Austin. Nothing fancy just a set of Ultrashield Spec Miata seats. It was good to be able to test the size before buying. The 17" seats fit perfect.

They should be delivered tomorrow. I'll put them in without rails like they would be bolted to the floor. I had side mounts with an OMP seat on my last track car and passed so I'm not expecting too much of an issue. It's just going to be how I mount it. I really want to be able to keep the stock seats for when I'm not at the track. So we will see. I can also get the taller roll bar and gain an inch there too. 

bmw88rider
3/23/19 6:31 p.m.

Well, Good news is with the seats in, I'll be fine. I'm well under the roll bar. I really liked the driving position so I think it'll be a winner. I'll need to get the bracket made but we will be good. I have enough room to actually use a bracket and keep the ability to put the stock seats in. So now I need to get a back support for the seat and a set of belts. It's coming together slowly but surely. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/24/19 4:56 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Crazy.  There's no way I was gonna fit without having a drop floor installed.

bmw88rider
3/24/19 8:46 p.m.

You are probably right. It's right there with me in it. 

So I got out to the house today to give the car the good 1 over from top to bottom and try and see where the clunk was coming from. Well, 90% certain that it's the subframe bushings. There are some ehhh control arm bushings that I'll need to replace over time but nothing too bad. There is one that will be first on the list though. Looks like most of the nuts/bolts have never been touched so I'm sure they are all original.

When I got up under the rear, Was met with something you never want to see....A puddle of brake fluid. Looks like the aftermarket ones but on a while ago failed. So got a new set of stainless steel lines on order and I'll get those next week. I needed to bleed the brakes anyway so looks like I'll be changing the brake lines as well.

I started to soak the O2 sensor and will do so for the week and will put the WB o2 in next weekend.  

bmw88rider
3/27/19 6:48 p.m.

Got to fitting the seat today. I still need to get the back support and harness bar in but this is what it looks like. In normal driving conditions It's a perfect fit to the broomstick test. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3DVMVirupW8nAlsQx9pcu5VjGtcULCEGJ4HFgJ6AwF2FC7JDNwJknDqYnCwjHdHE