1 ... 11 12 13
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/22 6:01 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

Great to see this on page 1 again, and congrats on having enough work to keep you distracted. There are worse reasons to be away from the garage.

and I'm totally stealing the double-walled doghouse *and* the minivan hatch seal ideas for MonZora. Thank you for posting those!

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/27/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Having learned the hard way, I recommend doing the first skin, adding the foam, and then installing the second layer.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/28/22 8:53 a.m.

this thread lives!!!! YESSSSSSSS!

I have to be honest-  I think about this marvelous piece of old iron often...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/22 10:13 a.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Having learned the hard way, I recommend doing the first skin, adding the foam, and then installing the second layer.

I would look at ceramic fiber insulation.  Roughly the same price, but 100% fireproof, and will actually help keep the temps down.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQPC43B/

3/28/22 2:41 p.m.

So I build a new dash out of 3/4 inch plywood. Tried to more or less replicate the old one which is here: Notice how the defrost was a two center mounted vents which I could not replicate thanks to a big ass radiator in the way. 

Here is the new one under construction

Wrapped it in gray vinyl as I did not care for the brown that Bluebird put in everything. Must have been the cool color back in 1981 but in conjunction with dark wood it made for a kind of cave like interior. I already replaced the floor a few years ago with gray, and I have new(to me) gray air seats to match. 

I installed a big heater core and fans from an International school bus. One fan is defrost and one is passenger (wife) heat. 

I had no room for the ducting Bluebird installed  so I used a channel at the base of the windshield as a duct and cut some narrow vents into the new dash. I sealed the dash to the windshield with some stickyback foam tape. Seems to blow pretty good. 

3/28/22 2:51 p.m.

Right now I am having a very rough time with the dash instrument panels. I have made some or the three four times now. My problem is that I cannot get the wood veneer to adhere well to the aluminum. I have tried three different contact cements and I have tried clamping the panels for a time between heavy sheets of wood. But a couple days after gluing the wood starts to warp and lift from the aluminum. I am inclined at this point to take my latest and best effort and use them, and have them redone down the road by someone else, or buy pre bonded panels that I see advertised on home building sites. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
3/28/22 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Oooh! Good stuff. Thanks for that link 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
3/28/22 8:37 p.m.

Hey don't mean to belittle the current dash discourse I'll come back trust me ....the driveshaft two pages back definitely had my attention....cause for concern when seeking the shop to execute you're desired  outcome or are they a dime a dozen up your way eh? love this BUS!!!

3/30/22 9:25 p.m.

Installed the gauges this afternoon. Have to extend some wires and add a few more functions and bolt everything in, but it seems like kind of a milestone.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/31/22 9:10 a.m.

That looks awesome! Really well done. 

Man, I can't wait to see this thing rolling up a grade at 75 with a cup of coffee in your hand...

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
3/31/22 6:44 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

Man, that sure do look good!!!

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/16/22 5:18 p.m.

Any update on this???

1 ... 11 12 13
Our Preferred Partners
cwC81f5LjVyfmafRmvRAqauZ75SVb3o9yhpeZevUoLbCS36VvGTVWVB21Qtm4wCI