1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 93
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/18/21 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Not enough space around here. Sorry....

And what three things had you not considered in regards to...?

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/21 8:58 a.m.

I'm sad to hear about your A/C woes, but it makes sense. 

Perhaps keep an eye out for then these become available? https://www.carbonmiata.com/shop/mazda-mx-5/nb-99-05-mazda-mx-5/exterior-parts-nb-99-05-mazda-mx-5-nb-99-05-mazda-mx-5/quarter-window-vent/quarter-window-vents-pair/

My brother's NA that I had before him has a single corner window that is plastic with a NACA duct and it brings in a nice stream of air. These other ones I linked above seem like they would appear a bit more refined, and of course are one of the best parts in older trucks, so adding them to a Miata would be pretty cool. 

Dusterbd13-michael
8/19/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

It wont help when stationary, but should make everything else better! Id thought about trying to make my own before when i dailied miatas, and im glad to see someeis making them!

8/19/21 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yeah stationary will get ya, but it's hard to get around that. 

I had also thought about trying to make some before and I saw a pair of thier V1 for sale on marketplace a couple months ago and looked into them. Their v1 was a plexiglass window, and while it looked functional, at least these initial pictures of the new model look real nice. The site says they are still developing it, so we'll see what they look like once they are in production I guess. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/19/21 12:05 p.m.

They make lexan panels with airplane vents in them or you can make your own

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/19/21 12:06 p.m.

To replace the little windows

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/21 12:11 p.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

Ooooooooo, pretty!

8/19/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Right? I really just came here to raise awareness of these things. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/21 4:19 p.m.

Sorry the A/C didn't work out.  It looked like you had it all figured out.

Would it be as simple as figuring out how to mount a factory Miata compressor?  Because that's just some brackets, I'd guess.

As far as the belt goes, I think your issue there was running a 4-rib belt on the 6-rib pulley.  There's just no tracking stability there.  That would also be solved with the Miata compressor.

That is unless I'm talking out my ass on this.  And there's a real possibility I am...

Dusterbd13-michael
8/19/21 4:34 p.m.

Miata compressor setup would still require custom lines, as it was located stock in about the same place as the water pump is now.

But, oh well. At least now ill have room for oil stuff! And looking closer, i think I have enough space for a power racks lines, and can retrofit an electric pump somewhere. I may have to make custom hardlines on the rack, but have plenty of space around the ports!

java230
java230 UberDork
8/20/21 9:30 a.m.

SW30 MR2 pumps seems to be the easy button. Ill look, I may still have one kicking around.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/20/21 10:04 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

That would be perfect! Let me know if you do and how much you want.

Need a sanden 508?

java230
java230 UberDork
8/20/21 10:12 a.m.

Its yours for shipping if I still have it. It may have gone with the pile of parts that went with the MR2, but I will look, there are a couple 5 gallon buckets left!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/20/21 10:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

But, oh well. At least now ill have room for oil stuff!

I missed something... what "oil stuff"?  On a related note, I have bar & plate oil cooler I need to dispose of if you are interested.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/20/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Doing oil cooler, accusump, and remote filter for more capacity, insurance (paranoid after scattering the engine in the neon) and due to oil pressure loss/heat related on track with m4m experience. 

Dusterbd13-michael
8/20/21 10:23 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

Thanks!!

Dusterbd13-michael
8/29/21 11:14 a.m.

spent a couple hours this morning making an accusump mount (need hose clamps to secure to the mount) and an oil filter mount for the remote filter. All aluminum for weight management!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/29/21 12:50 p.m.

After the comment you made about transverse mounting vs longitudinal, I've been wondering about things.   Which "side" in the picture of the engine above was the "front" in the donor car?  Other than the obvious, motor mounts and trans related mods, is there anything else for a newbie to watch for that we wouldn't have thought of?  Like the accessory drive thing

Dusterbd13-michael
8/29/21 12:57 p.m.

Drivers side would have been towards the radiator in the buick. The throttle body would have been over the bellhousing as well.

So, things that aren't obvious: cooling system ports are in strage places, and routed with hardline and ports that may or may not be accessible ir usable in a longitudinal application. Throttle body may point at firewall naturally like mine did. Oil pan may not have baffling or a pickup location thats useful. Manifolds have an exhaust crossover and one outlet to tie both sides together. Wire harness will lay out very strage for longitudinal. 

java230
java230 UberDork
8/30/21 10:36 a.m.

No PS pump left, sorry!

Dusterbd13-michael
8/30/21 11:02 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

No worries! Thanks for looking!

Dusterbd13-michael
9/5/21 5:42 p.m.

my beautiful wife put permanent class identifiers on the car for me today.

I worked all day on oil system. Im kinda proud of it, but no finished pictures yet. Cause its not.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/6/21 8:58 a.m.

waiting on a fitting and a replacement filter mount to finish the oiling system. But i can assemble the cooling system and ducting awhile. 

I need to do a real update soon....

Dusterbd13-michael
9/6/21 11:03 a.m.

im unreasounreasonably happy with how neatly i was able to package ten pounds of E36 M3 in a five pound bag. 

Damn parts waiting game now....

And i need to stare a LOT more on ducting. I habe no idea what i need, or how to make what i have better. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/6/21 3:32 p.m.

centers: cast coat iron or cast coat aluminum engine paint? Or something im not thinking of?

1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yiMlCr62GjFLJL3Rcl4KQGPw9N569LHn4nJrBkHPhOXMaW2r8TkjAuiDh4C3vpiA