1 ... 5 6 7
Xratti
Xratti Reader
2/24/23 3:22 p.m.

Back to present day, I went about asking in the Aerodynamics forum while starting the CAD work on the cooling stack (Intercooler/Radiator/Oil Cooler).

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/aerodynamics-presented-nine-lives-racing/cooling-flows-smaller-bumper-openings/239586/page1/

Including sketches like this (not to scale dwg of a cross section at the centerline of the car):

I feel like I have a decent path forward for a first attempt, but there's always room for improvement.

Xratti
Xratti Reader
4/2/23 3:04 p.m.

Since the initial templating of the radiator closeouts, I've been working on swapping the camshaft to a BoPort 1.5, which included upgraded springs, roller rockers, lifters with a wide groove, new cam bearings (because I chipped one pulling the old cam out), and an adjustable cam gear.

The cam gear had an interesting orientation, and I ended up ignoring their marks, and adjusting the gear so the keyway matched the stock gear and marked the same tooth as stock.

Car runs great on initial start up, and on a low RPM idle, has a bit of chop to it which sounds kind of cool, but I'll likely have it set high enough that it won't sound like that in the end.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/2/23 6:22 p.m.

Yeah, I remember having to do the same thing with the adjustable cam gear when I did a Ranger roller.

Xratti
Xratti Reader
4/2/23 9:53 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, the one from Stinger. You'd think it would be right with it showing "0" on the adjustment marks. I remarked the 0 after getting the keyway set.

Xratti
Xratti Reader
4/3/23 10:16 a.m.

Dropped the idle lower while setting the ignition timing, and it has a bit of lope to it now!

https://youtube.com/shorts/N1I5EXkunMc?feature=share

Xratti
Xratti Reader
8/14/23 12:44 p.m.

Radiator ducting is still in the works, though some parts have been cut out.

Since the last post, there's been 2 track days, including Gridlife MidWest Festival, and though things get hot fairly quickly (3 hot laps in a row), things cool down fairly quickly. I'm thinking that hood louvers will be a must even with the front ducting to get things under control for hot months.

A hot shoe friend drove it and gave positive reviews, except for a trail of total confidence on the brakes because of it wanting to lock the rears first. This can easily be fixed with a prop valve and I already have the parts on hand.

His other comment was some hopping in the rear which we quelled with a damping change on the rear (I forget at this point if we went stiffer or softer). 

The other addition since the last post is an oil cooler! I have no data to say if it's done anything better than before but should be a good thing.

Still has a bit of an oil leak from underneath the turbo somewhere but it's manageable and I'll dig into it before the upcoming hillclimb that I'm entered in!

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
8/14/23 2:38 p.m.

Letting some of that heat out helps a lot.

Xratti
Xratti Reader
8/14/23 4:27 p.m.

That's the plan! I'm just in analysis paralysis right now about what type of vent. Would the cossie style vents be enough? If bigger, will the "Trackspec / Race Louver" brand type bent sheet metal ones just look bad?

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
8/14/23 6:54 p.m.

I can help with that too. Cossie vents weren't enough for me. I removed this hood for the other one since the car used to sit outside all summer and the engine would get soaked from rain.

Xratti
Xratti Reader
8/14/23 7:50 p.m.

I'll be honest, both of those look like poor locations, they're up by the base of the window where the high pressure is.

Doesn't look horrible from an aesthetic perspective though.

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/23 2:57 a.m.

I would think so too but I have never tried that on a Sierra. Although I have a feeling Ford put the Cosworth vents in a certain place for a reason.

I guess the "Evo" vent thing from our Sierra project would "work";

Those looks can be debated though :-D we never opened them up because for that project, at 20 mph, it was purely a styling thing.

Xratti
Xratti Reader
8/15/23 6:11 a.m.
therealpinto said:

I would think so too but I have never tried that on a Sierra. Although I have a feeling Ford put the Cosworth vents in a certain place for a reason

Agreed. Outboard, where the cossie vents are, is a good location; they just might not be large enough for a modified car. The center- located large panel so far back is what I was really talking about.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
8/15/23 8:11 a.m.

I will say adding the Track-Spec vent lowered coolant temps by about 10 degrees.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nYX8iEIebp0sflO0YHybcevPgSbLTdn33EMvazTpRX9BdqTTjzPRffkPVmVSiK8c