1 2 3 4
MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
8/26/20 2:21 p.m.

Really, you guys think it should be red? I was thinking either white, like a Jim Hall/Chaparral car, or rough bare aluminum, like this ferrari 330/P2 prototype from 1965.

Or maybe yellow, like the Moonliner?

come to think of it a crank mounted blower would be pretty cool as an arm rest.

stroker, the winters qc is a common sprint car differential in the oval/dirt world. Same with the richmond super t-10s. They are quite common on ebay in any condition, as well as available new(parts as well). I havent fully fleshed out the design of it yet, but ill do my best to document it here.

MarshHoltRacing
8/26/20 2:25 p.m.

Using my renny as a parts truck. Barely fit all 4 in the car

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/26/20 2:27 p.m.

Neil Peart chose red for the song lyrics, who am I to argue? However, I jest.

No matter what color you ultimately choose, this will still be a fantastic build.

I will say, personally, I can't do the yellow. It's just a weird color to me, even on the moonliner. It would have looked better in white. It gives off angry yellow jacket vibes, unless that's the whole point.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 2:50 p.m.

Yeah, I only said red because of the gleaming alloy air car reference. McLaren Orange or Gulf Blue would be fantastic.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/26/20 3:11 p.m.

White, silver/bare aluminum, or maybe a light blue that isn't "Gulf Blue" all sound nice to me.  I  love red but there are other good alternatives.  Just not something dark so details aren't so hidden.

stroker
stroker UberDork
8/26/20 3:24 p.m.

Metallic Blue.  Maybe with a white stripe.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Never red.  Because berkeley Rush, that's why

java230
java230 UberDork
8/26/20 3:33 p.m.

Oh my, I'm just here for the ride.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 3:35 p.m.

Sublime green or plum crazy purple get my vote for paint.

However,  brushed raw aluminum is perfect in my eye, with some garish color of graphics

MarshHoltRacing
8/26/20 3:58 p.m.

Garish? Like 80's Peugeot factory racing colors garish?

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
8/26/20 4:42 p.m.
MarshHoltRacing said:

Garish? Like 80's Peugeot factory racing colors garish?

^^ THIS ^^

...but with a cream color instead of the white/

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/26/20 4:48 p.m.

If you gonna travel on the Titanic, go first class

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/26/20 5:37 p.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

Also this, and also cream instead of white, but not an aggressive cream, something subtle. More off-white.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 5:41 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Azryael :

And now I know why I've never liked you.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Azryael :

And now I know why I've never liked you.

I actually have no idea what is happening here.  I'll admit it.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
8/26/20 7:55 p.m.

What's the little vehicle being used to haul around the wheels and tires with the Moon Eyes shift knob?

I'll be interested to see in how you get power from the flywheel out to the wheels.  I understand the concepts involved but the actual machine work and parts required are not looking like a simple weekend project.

MarshHoltRacing
8/26/20 8:48 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What's the little vehicle being used to haul around the wheels and tires with the Moon Eyes shift knob?

I'll be interested to see in how you get power from the flywheel out to the wheels.  I understand the concepts involved but the actual machine work and parts required are not looking like a simple weekend project.

Its my 1967 Renault R10. Im almost done swapping in an ITB'd Alpine 1.6 crossflow(valve cover is from a lotus europa, because they came with renault motors if you didn't get a twin-cam)

For the transaxle, there are adapters from the bell to the QC,QC to the trans, and then from the trans to the rear qc cover. The main case of the trans also needs to be modified to clear the shaft to the pinion. A custom input shaft needs to be turned, as well as a custom output/pinion shaft. The trans mainshaft also needs to get modified(resplined) I have some 4340, a bridgport with a rotary an engine lathe when the time comes and get the shafts heat treated. I still need to sort out reverse. Bob Mckee didnt have reverse, but on a street car, thats a necessity for me.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/26/20 8:59 p.m.

I used to see a lot of those little Renaults on my trips to Romania, running the gamut from pristine to held together with baling wire a la Lada.

How hard was the motor to come by? Looking at it from afar, it seems sufficiently small enough for something I have...

MarshHoltRacing
8/26/20 10:53 p.m.

Anything is possible with an obsessive personality, a credit card, and google translate! But honestly, it was a few months of searching the ebays. I passed on a few R5 Alpine Cleon-Fonte 1.4l to find a decent cleon alu. Most of the parts are still availible new from Meca Parts in France.

Tried on another classic livery. God I hate this one. Lol

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/27/20 12:01 a.m.

java230
java230 UberDork
8/27/20 9:25 a.m.

Keep it bare aluminum IMO

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/20 9:37 a.m.

Amazing design. Bare aluminum gets my vote. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
8/27/20 10:08 a.m.

I like the R10.  I think I remember a thread on that car here.  Been a while since I saw it.

mhisstc
mhisstc New Reader
8/27/20 2:16 p.m.

I have no idea how piecing together a transaxle using separate components like that works, but I'm going to be watching this thread for the details on that since I've had an idea in my head for a project involving a longitudinally mounted mid-engine Rover V8 with a rear transaxle.  Good stuff.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/20 3:07 p.m.

Looks amazing!

Color-wise - American engine + American designed and built = white w/ blue stripes. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
apdpverUB1I0063tXEQGIPrYBRU7vTNCjWcmS4jOWtnN24kFA5YjTt0RBfjcNw18