1 2 3 4
kb58
kb58 Dork
7/9/13 4:19 p.m.

I've been here for years and only just now saw this sub-forum... sigh. Okay, "Midlana" was completed earlier this year after a five-yr build. Here are some of the highlights:

Drivetrain is a 2004 turbocharged Honda K24 producing approximately 400 hp. Dry car weight is 1550 lbs.

Probably the best thing to do is start here, Midlana and I'll answer any questions. A book is in the works which will contain plans, with a planned release date of around November.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
7/9/13 4:58 p.m.

Damn! I like it!

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
7/10/13 7:59 a.m.

Glad you started this, I've looked at your website off and on.

One questions, how much width do you have in the engine bay?

(Or will my flat 4 fit ?)

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/10/13 9:21 a.m.

From the forum:

The drivetrain must fit the following space, with a couple caveats:

Width: 45" Height: 24" Depth: 20"

Caveats: Width is absolute max including engine mounts off the sides.

Height is flexible; it depends how much you're willing to allow the valve cover and intake to extend above the horizontal tubes around the engine's "shoulder line." It also affects the CG and aesthetics.

Depth, fore/aft. 20" as measured from the backside of the cylinder head to the firewall, and is also flexible. My engine has the intake on the forward side of the head and the exhaust on the rear, extending under a lateral cross tube. If your engine is reversed, with the intake on the rear, that tube can't be used. Also, chassis tubing is negotiable around the transaxle, where it is understood that a portion of the transaxle will extend further aft and houses the differential. This section is not part of the 20" depth - within reason.

As for flat-4s, the problem is the engine outline versus the car. The transaxle sticks way out toward the rear . It came down to either designing the car to fit most any tranverse engine out there and still sort of look like a Seven. Or, design the car around a Subaru flat-4 from the start, but I didn't want to force people to use only one drivetrain.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
7/10/13 9:31 a.m.

Mid engine, 1570 lbs, 400 hp... sounds like a monster! What's it like to drive?

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/10/13 11:16 a.m.

The only "supercar" that I've ever gotten a ride in was a Nissan GTR. When the owner got on the gas, it was like being a pebble in a slingshot. No spinning tires, no screaming engine, it just... went. The feeling was one of, "hey, watch me drive up the side of this building" and then doing so.

It's like that. In second gear It doesn't spin the tires, it just... goes. Kinda wish I had more power, actually! Haven't gotten round to doing a hard 0-60 time yet.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/10/13 11:17 a.m.

Awesome! That thing is sick!!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/13 10:25 a.m.

That car is gorgeous. 400 hp too? I'm stunned...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/11/13 10:29 a.m.

Im so excited to see the book, I think I just peed a little

beans
beans Reader
7/11/13 11:42 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Im so excited to see the book, I think I just peed a little

+1

jere
jere Reader
7/11/13 11:57 a.m.

Great work! Waiting for the book. Have you gotten past the I hope something doesn't fall off and blow up all my hard work, point yet?

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/11/13 12:14 p.m.

Yes, but I'm still flirting with the OMG-I'm-going-to-shift-this-dog-box-wrong-and-grenade-an-expensive-tranny phase.

Ugh, your avatar... ewww.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
7/11/13 12:18 p.m.

U should start a preorder for the book sobi can really piss off the wife. Lol.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/11/13 12:20 p.m.

I'm already collecting a list of email addresses of people who want to be notified when it's released

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
7/11/13 12:29 p.m.

I am in amazement over this car. My dad has been trying to figure a way of designing a mid engine 7 for years!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/13 12:32 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I'm already collecting a list of email addresses of people who want to be notified when it's released

So... where do we get added to that list? I enjoyed the Kimini book, and look forward to this one.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/11/13 12:43 p.m.

send an email to kiminicooper1@y-a-h-o-o.com and I'll add you to the list. And yes you have to fix the spelling.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
7/11/13 7:09 p.m.
kb58 wrote: send an email to kiminicooper1@y-a-h-o-o.com and I'll add you to the list. And yes you have to fix the spelling.

Emailed.

By "fix the spelling", I first thought you were referring to the book. I have an earlier test run version of the Kmini book and "fix the spelling" applies!

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/11/13 8:07 p.m.
Hasbro wrote:
kb58 wrote: send an email to kiminicooper1@y-a-h-o-o.com and I'll add you to the list. And yes you have to fix the spelling.
Emailed. By "fix the spelling", I first thought you were referring to the book. I have an earlier test run version of the Kmini book and "fix the spelling" applies!

Yeah I always felt a bit bad about letting those out in the wild, forever serving as reminders to all how me suckz at speeling.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
7/12/13 10:53 a.m.

Great work! That looks like a ton of fun. (Well 1550 lbs)

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
7/12/13 5:14 p.m.

I would totally abandon my Willys pickup project to build one of these.

I'll put my name down for a tubing kit!!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
7/13/13 7:56 p.m.

Very nice. Congratulations your efforts have produced a stunning result. Enjoy.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/13/13 8:52 p.m.

I wish I had your patience, dedication and fab skills. I love this car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/13/13 9:25 p.m.

UTCC for the Trifecta of awesome kit cars?

Bubs
Bubs New Reader
7/13/13 10:09 p.m.

What an awesome and well-executed build!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YAYycQX0cHpmK0NskJ2gfmq3LOvri6VYq55FlkxqoYOTrtegWK4G59HiAVgpz3UD