1 2
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/20 1:57 p.m.

This project has been off again on again for probably 10 years. It's been intimidating me from day one thinking I bit off more than I could chew. But now it's time to start eating the elephant one bite at time.

I give you CoronaVette: started with the Revell 69 Baldwin Motion kit. Grafted the nose from an 80-82. Side skirts from a C4 that is donating a lot to this build including but not limited to the interior and suspension. I need to repair the "birdcage." Just like a 1:1 car! Will remove the t-bar and go full targa. Not sure on motorvation just yet. BBC 427 with dual or triple carbs, sbc LT1 from the C4, sbc1 with blower. Time to consider those things.

Here she is if you hadn't seen her in the other thread. 1:25 scale BTW.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 2:01 p.m.

Looking forward to this one!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/20 3:57 p.m.
Javelin said:

Looking forward to this one!

Me too! wink

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/20 7:17 p.m.

Interior mockup. C4 seats and dash. Dash is temporarily glued in place with Elmer's for trial fitment and shaping.

4/4/20 12:43 p.m.

Test fitting. Good thing I have the 1:1 car in the garage so I can make reasonably realistic door jambs.

4/10/20 4:00 p.m.

Time for updates. Just received a box of paints from Tower Hobbies.

Been working on fitting the interior. Which is slow going cause I have to be able to get it in and out numerous times as I fill in space never considered by the model maker. I am also using the C4 chassis so I needed to move the front suspension a scale two inches forward. Done easily enough. Not sure how I'm going to hang the doors but I got plenty of time for that. Here are some pics.

I realize that last pic seems familiar. Trying to show the steps I'm taking to fill in the gap between the tub and the body and be as true to realism as possible. Slow going.

4/16/20 8:37 p.m.

Still going.

4/16/20 8:40 p.m.

Flat white base. To be followed by Arctic Blue Metallic.

4/18/20 9:36 p.m.

4/22/20 2:59 p.m.

So I was able to repair the paint around the engine compartment and the hood. All is well. But I am not 100% on engine choice. I went with the C4 chassis because the suspension is a better design.( I know. That really matters in a static model, haha). So it will readily take a SBC gen 1, Gen 2 (LT1/4). But the car started life as a Baldwin Motion 427. And I do love saying Four. Twenty. Seven. I also have at my disposal an LS engine from a C5. I could do TPI. I can do carbs, multiple carbs, or other.

Thoughts?

4/25/20 8:28 p.m.

repairs to hood and nose done.

4/25/20 8:32 p.m.

Because I want A/C.

Triple Dueces!!!!

Got paper clip? Make fuel line.

4/25/20 8:34 p.m.

Transferring C3 motor mounts to C4 frame.

4/25/20 8:39 p.m.

The C4 kit had very little detail for the radiator and surround. As a matter of fact it was totally unclosed. So I opened it up and used the radiator from the C3.

4/25/20 8:42 p.m.

Making the headers look more realistic. Pre on the right. Post left.

4/30/20 7:16 a.m.

Radiator and shroud assembly completed.

Had to remove the A/C. Engine sits lower on the C4 chassis and it would hit the inner fender on that side. Oh well. Making BB noises now. Slow, tedious progress being made.

5/2/20 10:31 p.m.

Underneath. 

Wheels. I cheated to fill the wheel wells. These are from a 1:24 car so they are slightly larger. But they look so good on the car. Yellow calipers!

Radiator hoses from coated paperclip.

Time to build the doors. Never done this before. Total trial and error.

Using putty to fill in the gaps. That's drying currently. Then more sanding. Next time I do the doors before I paint the entire car.

Still need to add the windshield and frame. Getting closer.

5/28/20 7:08 p.m.

Time for updates:

Door hinges done. Currently in paint booth. T tops converted to targa top. Frame glued to windshield. Side exhaust going together.

5/28/20 7:09 p.m.

6/2/20 8:58 p.m.

​​​​​​

Doors painted and ready for installation. Targa roof done. Need to add windshield and frame, mirrors, and that's it. Had to pass on the side pipes cause I couldn't get them to line up with the headers. No problem with open pipes on big block right?

Still need to polish the "stainless" around the windshield. (Molotow chrome pens to the rescue!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

That turned out so nice!

6/2/20 9:05 p.m.

The view from under. Note the x-brace. This is a C4 convertible chassis. Makes the targa roof possible! Haha

Note the headers. To clear the x-brace they don't line up for the side pipes I was gonna use. Oh well. Gonna be loud.

Just needs the interior and side mirror. Check out the triple dueces.

6/2/20 9:25 p.m.

And done!

Of note: I lost a mirror so only have the driver side. The doors could be better. The paint has dulled from too much handling.

I love how the targa came out. Glad I used the technically incorrect C4 convertible chassis as the basis for the build. Next C3 will use original chassis upgraded as 1:1 would be.

Overall I'm very happy with the most technically challenging build I've ever done. That makes two forum build threads completed. Too bad they are both small scale. Gotta get one of the 1:1 threads done. Thanks to Javelin, TurnerX19 and the rest for support and motivation. Don't think I would have done it otherwise.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/3/20 11:03 a.m.

That looks really good, you did an awesome job.

marks93cobra
marks93cobra New Reader
6/3/20 5:01 p.m.

Looks great! I build models too, but I stick to aircraft as I think cars the HARDEST to do...while my planes turn out decent, my cars (mostly) look like crap!

Again, nice job, especially the fabrication work and paint!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pODG096KKz9YkW2ElPwsucviKwy68AN8CVbrY88RK88ijFSdEOdD1Spf9QOx30r8