1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 124
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/19 6:57 a.m.

T minus time to put every waking hour in the garage 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/20/19 7:46 a.m.

Im slightly concerned about the lack of ground clearance to the new spring location. Looks like an accident waiting to happen 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/19 9:27 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im slightly concerned about the lack of ground clearance to the new spring location. Looks like an accident waiting to happen 

As shown, I agree. But that was assembled at minimum ground clearance, just because I wanted to see it on the ground.  Like I said in previous post, it’s already been adjusted up a bit and will be adjusted again at race weight.

AngryCorvair
8/20/19 9:36 a.m.
Patrick said:

T minus time to put every waking hour in the garage 

I’ve planned the work, now I’m working the plan. Will be a busy 8 weeks, but monZora will be there with Beast Mode engaged.  :-)

Dusterbd13-michael
8/20/19 9:36 a.m.

I had assumed you were smarter than that. How much clearance is it going to look like at final height? At least above the Steel part of the rim?

AngryCorvair
8/20/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yep, end of spring will be above rim, unless car is pushing and I want to try lower front ride height.  It won’t be driven on the street that low, but for an autocross it would be OK.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/20/19 12:21 p.m.

Cool. 

Just dont want to beat you because of some simple detail. Want to win fair and square!

Or get my ass kicked in glorious fashion! Either way is good with me. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/20/19 12:37 p.m.

Looks awesome buddy, keep going!

Also, here's our lowest suspension member (at race height): 

Hopefully there aren't too many potholes to dodge in the autox.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/20/19 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

That shock mount is part of the reason why I was inquiring about the bottom spring on the Corvair. If you look close you'll see where we grounded on the asphalt a couple of times

Patrick
8/20/19 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Put a titanium block on that so everyone knows if you’re rubbing pavement 

AngryCorvair
8/20/19 2:50 p.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to Robbie :

Put a titanium block on that so everyone knows if you’re rubbing pavement 

Ti is kinda spensive.  What about a magnesium anode rod from a water heater?

EDIT:   yes i know magnesium burns wicked hot.   it was a joke.

AngryCorvair
8/21/19 10:54 p.m.

GRM’er whiskey_business came by and gave some much-appreciated help with planning out the rear suspension and frame graft.  And my buddy Tony came by to brainstorm the mating of the LT1 to the 01X.  I do believe we have laid out solid plans for both of these very important parts of the project.   And I didn’t take a single picture worth posting.

AngryCorvair
8/22/19 9:14 p.m.

Hacking away at the C5 rear frame section, getting it down to a usable size.  I started with the most difficult areas, so it looks like not much happened.

Before:

And after:

I will drag it outside and don my hazmat suit, bala, and safety goggles before I start cutting up the fiberglass.  I will try to save at least the center section and the storage cubbies, as I might find use for them in the finished car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/22/19 9:32 p.m.
Robbie said:

Looks awesome buddy, keep going!

Also, here's our lowest suspension member (at race height): 

Hopefully there aren't too many potholes to dodge in the autox.

There is a giant ridge across the whole parking lot/autocross but your low point is even with the tires so it should go up and clear the ridge just fine.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/22/19 10:05 p.m.

You want Numbers 12 and up? I've got them, but not quite like that picture in the catalog. Here's how my dirty parts look.

Does that look compatible with your 01X? You may do better finding the linkage from an Audi A4 or A6 manual. If this is what you need, #12 (bracket) looks pretty straightforward  to remove, but the cranks could be trouble. If you need it, it can be done. Let me know and I'll see what I can figure - I'm off work for a few days.

AngryCorvair
8/22/19 11:15 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

The parts in your pix, is that a 5-speed?  That looks a lot different than the exploded diagram showed.  My 01X came with the shifter rod and pivot, so I think I can make it work as long as I can properly secure and engage the cables to whatever levers I cobble.  So yeah, I think the bracket that holds the two cables would be a good start.

Thanks man!

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/22/19 11:24 p.m.

The transmission in the pic is from a 6 speed (2000 Boxster S). I couldn't match it up with the diagram, so the one in the diagram may be a 5-speed. I'll send the bracket (12) for the cables. You send me money. Lots of money.

AngryCorvair
8/23/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
8/23/19 2:20 p.m.

If you're cutting up fiberglass I highly recommend baby powder. Put it on all skin that may be exposed. If I'm doing a lot of sanding/cutting I'll do my belly and forearms. It really helps.

Patrick
8/23/19 2:59 p.m.

Get white suit and respirator from harbor freight 

AngryCorvair
8/23/19 3:01 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

good tip!   I'll do that this time.   last time i used the painters suit and didn't get itchy.

AngryCorvair
8/23/19 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

i got mine at Ace Hardware but yeah, same thing.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
8/23/19 6:37 p.m.

I have time available later next week Patrick.  Happy to help the cause if you need it. 

AngryCorvair
8/23/19 11:07 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

For sure!  There is much to be done.

AngryCorvair
8/23/19 11:16 p.m.

Separated fiberglass from C5 rear frame:

Tacked a brace between the rails, and cut a couple others before it got too late for making noise:

Then bolted the suspension together and took a mess of measurements:

Tomorrow I will add braces between rails and lop off everything behind the subframe, and figure out where to cut the Corvair rear structure to package this monstrosity.  

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l7CGlvZIdQhtOazsls4yRFnY3Sp0aYO2MPdZJN0CUrfuoAEwnjJT1vMnRwRXpYkb