1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 124
759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/9/22 2:53 p.m.

Break time......nice pipes, very well done. Wrapping .....Coating? 

In reply to 759NRNG :

None of that until after the challenge. Then maybe jet hot, if I like the car enough.

Also just spent a couple bucks that I should have spent 10 years ago...

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/9/22 6:24 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Honestly that kit is worth the $$! I bought one too 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/9/22 6:27 p.m.

That kit and my cordless impact are the best tool money i have ever spent. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/9/22 6:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

None of that until after the challenge. Then maybe jet hot, if I like the car enough.

what on earth would you do with yourself if  MonZora were to be no longer!?!?!????

759NRNG said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

what on earth would you do with yourself if  MonZora were to be no longer!?!?!???

buy a turn-key TR6

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/9/22 7:06 p.m.

What would you let MonZora go for right now?

759NRNG said:

What would let MonZora go for right now?

Whatever that number might be, I'm not smart enough to accept it. wink

Srsly though, while this build is taking forever, I'm not discouraged or thinking in any way that I won't finish it. I work on it when I can, at my pace, to my vision, as much as the budget allows.

But this week, that number is $10,000

devil

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/9/22 8:49 p.m.

And seriously I can see that being a "real" number having witnessed all your hard work......carry on 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 10:07 p.m.

Today's challenge: figure out how to reuse the C4 fuel rail inlet and return hoses, package them safely away from the jet-boat headers, and provide an easy disconnect point for pulling the engine without making a mess. Challenge accepted.

Step 1: hit the remnants bin at Alro Metals Outlet. I picked up 4 chunks of Al bar stock @ $3.50/lb for a total of $20.

Step 2: concept sketch:

Steps 3 thru 6: make chips!

I kinda like it. Not perfect, but a little better than just good enough.

More to come, but not for a couple days. Tomorrow I take my younger girl to summer camp. We follow the same routine every year: we play alternating mobile DJ via Spotify, we stop at the same Subway for lunch, and we get an ice cream cone down the street from the camp entrance. She's 17, so I'm pretty sure this is the end of an era. sad

7/10/22 9:39 p.m.

Got home from camp drop-off in time to scrub the engine harness a bit. Here it is in all its clean glory:

There is no part of the engine wiring that scares me, but I can't say the same about the rest of the electrical system. I mean, I could flash it with a Z28 6MT bin and delete the need for the CCM (central control module, what we call a body control module these days), but then (I think) i'd lose the ability to use the C4 ABS. It needs comms with the CCM for dash lights. I think. More research needed. I know the calibration will be sub-optimal, but it might help me avoid squaring off my tires. Here's the engine harness with a couple sections of body harness laid out:

The rear section has fuel pump wiring, and the front has cooling fan wiring, so I'll be pulling those essential bits out of each section. The ABS wiring is not shown here.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/10/22 9:51 p.m.

You're trying to keep the ABS? Only a brake guy...

7/10/22 10:16 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

You're trying to keep the ABS? Only a brake guy...

Hey, my free tires cost me a bunch of $! It's worth a shot, but I might hold it until year 2 (which is really year 6).

7/10/22 10:18 p.m.

Engine wiring 90%:

I mean, all the hard work's done.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
7/10/22 11:30 p.m.

Dang, getting close to making noise. Exciting. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 6:05 a.m.

Oh E36M3 oh E36M3 oh E36M3

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
7/11/22 6:21 a.m.

More to come, but not for a couple days.

You only need to do not do stuff a few more times and you'll be shaking this thing down!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/11/22 6:30 a.m.

You're increasing expectations and excitement here. Hopefully hear it run before Christmas!

7/11/22 7:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

You're increasing expectations and excitement here. Hopefully hear it run before Christmas!

[Stampie]

Yeah, Christmas 2025

[/Stampie]

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/11/22 7:43 p.m.

Preemptive bitch slap from Stampie neutralized.  Nice touch Patrick!

@winning

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
7/11/22 8:35 p.m.

Keep it up sir - I want to see her run the next time I'm up to Detroit!

7/11/22 11:43 p.m.

In this thread, Cousin_Eddie recommended Goop hand cleaner for cleaning the engine wiring harness and confessed that underhood detail is his kink. having seen pix of his work, I had to go with his recommendation.

and it works pretty well, I've got to say. Here are two connectors that lived very near each other, one cleaned and one not. Color me happy with the result:

from the massive front harness:

I harvested the radiator cooling fan wiring and relays:

and gave them a good cleaning. I don't know yet where the PCM is gonna live, but I know it can't live as close to the engine in this car as it did in the C4. There will be much extending of wires in my future. Anyway, one last parting shot with the fruits of tonight's labor:

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/12/22 3:39 p.m.

Goop cleans all kinds of stuff well!!

7/13/22 9:59 p.m.

this E36 M3 scares me:

in other news, AK1 helped me test the ignition switch to see what output terminals are hot in what key positions. Back of switch has BAT (12v in), ACCessory, IGN (run), and SOL (start).

High-tech test bench includes a 12v battery, a 2-filament bulb and socket, and some test leads with alligator clips. Low filament connected to IGN, high filament connected to SOL. I learned that IGN stays hot in SOL, which is outstanding because it saves me from adding a relay or a diode to have injectors and ignition alive while cranking. Here's the low with key in IGN: 

And here's both with key in SOL:

this makes me less angry. 

1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRja0SMnPYpmRttjVrloWsponPuTxlzgQAXNHiVRboaBAIJcqov8aDr00YfQREsG