sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
8/3/21 2:10 p.m.

We just moved to a new house and for the first time in years I have a shop on our property.  Its an oversized 3 bay garage with an attached workshop.  The workshop is going to be the motorcycle shop and the car projects can live in the other 3 bays.

The old owners late husband was a wood worker.  To my surprise, they left behind his old DEWALT radial arm saw.  My first thought was to sell/give it away as its huge and in the workshop.

They also left behind a LOT of wood. 

That got me thinking...

I've wanted a motorcycle lift/work bench for a while now, but not enough to pay for one or to take the time to make my own.  Hell, I've got wood and a saw...  Lets do this!

I based it on a WWII era Armored motorcycle work bench straight out of their service manual.

After a lot of thinking, cutting and a bit of swearing I had this..

Now for a little decking! (yes, I added joists, just forgot to take a picture)

Not bad for my first crack at building with wood. 

Next up, drilling the pivot.  That was probably the hardest part as all of the holes had to align.  After that, I added some carpet because the deck was pretty slippery, some trim, 2 safety clips, a wheel chock and a rear support/entry ramp.  Then it was time for its first test.

Success!!

Now it all comes back apart for some router work, sanding and finishing.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/3/21 2:44 p.m.

Cool bench, I like it.

Keep that saw, it's a workhorse and will outlive you.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/3/21 3:17 p.m.

Love the motorcycle bench.  I really want to see more of this shop. The tile/brick walls are so industrial fab...please show more! 

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
8/3/21 6:50 p.m.

Looks good!

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
8/4/21 8:08 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Absolutly keeping it now!  Ive already found it a new home in the shop!

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
8/4/21 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Ill post more shop pics as I get it cleaned and set up, but for now, here are a couple of teasers!.  I LOVE the brickwork as well!  

Exterior Shot.  It has a door in bay 1 on both the driveway and alley side (pull through) and bay 2&3 open alley side only.  The workshop has only man doors.  

Picture of the 3 car with all of the P.O.'s stuff still in it..

Figured I'd give you a picture with something in it we all can relate to to help you judge it size.   Yes, its an oversized  6 Miata garage.

Workshop 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/4/21 8:41 a.m.

So are you able to easily push it up on the deck?  Then you're going to use a moto lift to lift it up off the deck?

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
8/4/21 8:58 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

The bike pushes fairly easily onto the tilted ramp.  As you push it on the CG of the ramp changes and it rotates to the flat working position.  Removal is the opposite, as you roll backward the ramp lowers to allow you to roll off.

This shows the process

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/4/21 12:15 p.m.

In reply to sanyarcosean :

That is a FANTASY workshop for real. I have a decent sized shop myself, but it doesn't have near the style of yours. I'm so envious. Thanks for the pics: what a beautiful structure! Definitely not the way things are built today. 

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
8/4/21 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Thanks! We got lucky finding this place.  It was built in 1925 and is still mostly as it was decorated in the 70's.  We love its style and are trying to stay true to it as much as possible.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/4/21 3:40 p.m.

Neat building, I like the glazed brick walls.   I'm stealing those motorcycle workbench stand plans.  smiley

If you were to post those pictures over on the Garage Journal forum, I bet most of those guys there would say it was barely a three car garage, but I think they all must drive crew cab 4x4 one ton pickups.  It looks very roomy to me for normal size cars.

zilla916
zilla916 New Reader
8/4/21 6:21 p.m.

Love the workbench AND the shop! 

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/21 8:25 p.m.

Do you find the 19-20" deck height of the stand adequate? Have you encountered a job where additional height is needed/would be useful?

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
8/5/21 7:58 a.m.

In reply to twentyover :

Mine has a 23" deck height.  It was driven more by the wood I had than anything else.  I have not used it yet, but I will keep ya posted!

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/21 11:16 a.m.

I am seriously jealous of the architecture and the space.  Awesome shop.  Neat way to use scrap wood.  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/5/21 8:15 p.m.

Laminated brick almost makes me think it was built as some kind of commercial structure.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/2/21 2:07 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Rumor has it that it was once a butcher shop.  no idea if that is true or not

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ow2A2UQk7JHzCkp5NgMpnVxH7a5cmBOvYONpA0nAbq0i4Yp2OWYlLVPiPYriDcDK