1 2 3 4 ... 7
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/18 8:48 p.m.

Some newer stuff Ive done to Floyd.  A few weeks ago I wrapped up a projector retrofit (that I started a few years ago for the old car...LOL).  The  output is amazing. 

I also got around to installed the Paseo cluster from the old car as well.  I even tore it apart and reset the odometer to match the car.  That was a royal PITA...but I overcame it and got it done.  Also spaced the steering wheel down a bit to better match the race seat.

Tomorrow I am going to the JY and pulling an entire 1nzfe drivetrain out of a Echo to swap into Floyd at a later date

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
1/21/18 11:57 a.m.

I love small econoboxes, and I've always liked these Tercels.  My base model Sentra isn't near as cool, but winding out the gears in a little 4 cylinder is still fun.  I'll be following along!

malibuguy
1/21/18 2:20 p.m.

stumbled across a wrecked xA today and decided to yank the motor and trans out of that.  the xA and xB have a short final drive (4.31 vs 3.72) that I originally wanted.  it also had less mileage then the Echo I was originally going to gut and was wrecked(indicating it was running)...vs the Echo had no damage (so why was it there???).  

Switched the cars around when we got backed.  My 1uzfe swap into my 82 Malibu is on the backburner, so its on the "cold side" of my garage thats more parking and storage then workshop.

I dunno when I will begin the swap...but probably soon 

mycars12
mycars12
1/29/18 8:22 p.m.

So the scion trans is a c series? Will it bolt on without swapping the bellhousing? Also those projectors are sweet, I was looking into making projectors for my terc but it would be about $300. 

That lip that you got is pretty cool. Any info on it?

The 1nzfe swap looks quite involved. Probably gonna have to notch the frame and relocate the mounts.

You sell tercel braces? surprise

malibuguy
1/29/18 8:30 p.m.

Went thru my rear coilovers today chasing a rattle (thats still there GRRR) decided to change mufflers right quick...

I dont like my E36 M3 loud or noisy normally.  I was rocking a thrush turbo muffler...but when i'm accelerating, especially light throttle sitting up on the converter it "rings".  Typical of a baffled muffler.  It was not loud, but its ALWAYS there and it is not exactly a good sound.  I had an old DynoMax VT muffler from a previous customer that I threw onto my car today along with a smaller 1.75" tailpipe to better match the power output of the car.  Got rid of the buzz and seemed to pick up some low end response. ..I have shove in places where I didnt previously have shove.  The car is virtually silent at all but WOT and I like that sound better. WIn Win WIN.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
1/30/18 7:31 a.m.

There is very little worse, in terms of auditory assault on the roads today, than a thrashy, ringy, clangy, pingy 4 cylinder car.  I had one (an Altima) pull up next to my car the other day, and I thought there was something wrong with _my_ car...until the Altima pulled away and the normal soundtrack of the OM616 returned.

Can't wait to see the new engine go in!

malibuguy
1/30/18 8:45 p.m.
mycars12 said:

So the scion trans is a c series? Will it bolt on without swapping the bellhousing?  === No idea on the nz bellhousing.  But they can be swapped for an e or a series bell.

Also those projectors are sweet, I was looking into making projectors for my terc but it would be about $300. === Im into my set about $150-175

That lip that you got is pretty cool. Any info on it? === Its a rear bumper garnish from some random newer model ford screwed on upside down.  Friend gave it to me.

The 1nzfe swap looks quite involved. Probably gonna have to notch the frame and relocate the mounts. === no frame notch needed and 2 out of 3 mounts are in the same location and same style. 

You sell tercel braces? surprise === eventually Ill make a batch of strut braces.  I probably wont produce any other stuff other then for my own and a few friends.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/30/18 8:51 p.m.

There was a super clean two door Tercel in the car rider line at school today. Handsome little thing. Made me think of this thread.

malibuguy
1/30/18 9:40 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

There was a super clean two door Tercel in the car rider line at school today. Handsome little thing. Made me think of this thread.

And no picture??!! ;)

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/31/18 5:58 a.m.

Cool build. Definitely a sleeper. I love it. 

malibuguy
2/5/18 9:10 a.m.

Its a sleeper for sure...i almost fall asleep driving it haha.

Its fun blasting around corners with it.  I have not gotten 100% comfortable with it yet.  With my last one I could throw it into anything and know exactly what it would do.  This one i am not there yet

malibuguy
2/5/18 11:47 a.m.

Just realized the first page was missing some pictures (for whatever reason) so I fixed those

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
2/6/18 4:19 p.m.

Cool build, did you have a build thread on your old white one?

malibuguy
2/7/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps :

No sir

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
3/7/18 6:22 a.m.

Saw this on Friday.  You'll recognize the intersection, I think.  

Blackhawk!

malibuguy
3/9/18 8:28 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Yessir Finksburg 140/91.  Ill probably take mine out to C&C tomorrow

volvoclearinghouse
3/9/18 11:18 a.m.
malibuguy said:

Yessir Finksburg 140/91.  Ill probably take mine out to C&C tomorrow

Whereat?

malibuguy
3/9/18 7:13 p.m.

Hunt Valley out by the Iron Rooster.  They start gathering around 7.  Ill probably show up late as i plan to sleep in a smidge

volvoclearinghouse
3/10/18 11:35 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Ok, yeah, I know about that one.  Was hoping you knew of one closer.  ;-)  HV's about 45 minutes from us.  

malibuguy
3/10/18 5:46 p.m.

Yeah...but its a lovely drive thru horse country...usually stuck behind an overly slow driver.

There was a dark blue 3.8 jag there today

volvoclearinghouse
3/11/18 6:00 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Wow, like mine?  That is a pretty drive.  Once the weather's a bit nicer I'll try to convince the wife and littles some Saturday morning.  I had a bad cold this weekend, anyway.  

Hope you had a good time.  Got any pictures of your Tercel next to some high-dollar machinery?  devil

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/11/18 10:11 a.m.

Just sold my '95 coupe ice racer,awesome little cars.

Record this yr was 23 wins and 2 2nds making 3 championship out of 4 yrs(ran one yr no points testing tires:))

Just fuel and go,hard to beat that.

DocV
DocV Reader
3/11/18 12:09 p.m.

Hey, love the build.  I love how lightweight these things are.  Can’t beat a Toyota

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
3/11/18 5:55 p.m.

Neat build, until last year I had no idea turbo tercels were a popular thing. 

After building one in a weekend with friends I can see why though.  Cheap light, and dead nuts simple to work on.

I will be interested to see the motor swap results, how much structural work (frame rail) do you think it will take? 

malibuguy
3/11/18 7:49 p.m.

I aint no expert...but very similar to yours...60s curvy 4dr.  I should of grabbed a pic of it.  Only pic I took was of mine after everyone decided to park by me.  I intentionally parked completely by myself with noone near.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RBWjUYaSCKh4GOr8KsYRo4LKmxsXK9hDCt7h8GQyz8ST1qMMeT0uhhQeuiG9yc8g