1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/18 7:50 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Hopefully no frame mods to fit...just a custom/modified engine side mount.  

malibuguy
3/13/18 10:16 p.m.

Decided to move forward with the turbo build to have something to stir up conversations about my shop and maybe some business at the local cruise ins

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/13/18 11:31 p.m.

Old news, instagram informed me of this hours ago!  

Just kidding, have you driven it yet?

malibuguy
3/14/18 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Doing the oil drain today.  Parts for the feed come in tomorrow hopefully.  I plan to drive it Saturday 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
3/14/18 12:15 p.m.

I see you haveno intercooler? Are you going to put a meth kit on it or is this just going to be a low boost set up? 

malibuguy
3/14/18 7:24 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Low boost.  Stock ecu will run perfect @ 3.5psi.  So that's what I am aiming for.  I have no idea if the 4spd auto will take it.  It should....since its only going to be around 20hp gain (going off the gains on my last tercel at 3.5psi before we turned it up to 14)

malibuguy
3/14/18 7:31 p.m.

Car is basically done.  I pick up the stuff to make the oil feed tomorrow at my 2nd job and I picked up clamps tonight for the pipes and the oil drain.

I sanded and relieved the flanges today, also painted the manifold BBQ black.  Also scotchbrite'd the charge/intake pipes then hit with a matte clear.  They look awesome.  Im glad I tried that.  Also brightened up the downpipe.  The exhaust goes under the oil pan it necks down to 2.25" into my current exhaust.  I might lop the Dynomax off eventually for some noise.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/14/18 7:46 p.m.

Well, that escalated quickly. laugh

Carson
Carson Dork
3/14/18 7:54 p.m.

Nice update! 

Mine has slowed until I can figure out and make a move on a drivetrain. 

I painted my panhard bar though!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
3/14/18 8:04 p.m.

Freaking sweet!  Makes me want to do something similar with my little base model Sentra!  So how much of that setup is home brewed and how much can you actually buy for Tercels? (ie, what's the turbo, is the manifold custom made, etc.)

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
3/14/18 8:18 p.m.
malibuguy said:

In reply to 1SlowVW :  I have no idea if the 4spd auto will take it.  It should....since its only going to be around 20hp gain (going off the gains on my last tercel at 3.5psi before we turned it up to 14)

i think you’ll be fine, we’ve got about 20 passes and countless street pulls on everything from 5 psi to 14 with no signs of the auto gearbox giving up yet.

malibuguy
3/15/18 5:12 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4 :

The manifold flange.  The rest is custom.  95% of it is random stuff I had laying around.  Used turbo, random couplers, the downpipe is used 304ss bends etc etc

I save just about everything and harvest parts really well from old builds.  The turbo I originally got for free.

malibuguy
3/16/18 7:35 p.m.

Got Floyd all done last night.  Runs well even on 87 octane.  However I do not think I am getting much if any boost.  I need to get a boost gauge on ASAP to see whats going on.

malibuguy
3/18/18 4:54 p.m.
malibuguy
5/6/18 12:31 p.m.

​​​​​​

Green car has my old turbo system from my white car.

Nothing much new.  I put in a ebay CHRA to hopefully kill the smoke show.  Seems to work but my valve seals are trashed.

Otherwise Floyd is running well.  Switched to 93octane for knock safety with the rising temperatures.

Ive began mounting boost and AFR gauges.  Hope to finish that up sometime this week.  Then work on a getting a FPR and maybe raise the boost a little

malibuguy
5/14/18 11:09 p.m.

Took Floyd on its 1year ownership anniversary to autoX.  Had a good time even on the regular tires.  I hope to get my Hoosiers dug out for the next event

https://youtu.be/1apUz9V3uSE

malibuguy
6/10/18 8:10 p.m.

Nothing much to report.  Floyd has been running well.  I recently discovered my CEL doesnt work (probably bad bulb or connection) and I had to relocate my primary O2 closer as it was throwing codes for slow warm up.  Damn non-heated O2...

Also whipped up a crappy heatshield to protect my hood and my throttle cable.  Im happy to report the hood no longer burns me anymore.

Otherwise ive been getting 36mpg with mostly running around town driving and  having fun.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
6/23/18 2:46 p.m.

I really like this car.  And I really want a home brewed turbo setup for my beater Sentra.  Hmmm.  Oh, and those wheels are AWESOME.  yes

malibuguy
7/1/18 10:27 a.m.

Made a new heatshield to replace my crappy crooked one.

Chopped off the side exit and went back to a rear exit exhaust with one of my favorite OEM mufflers (mk5+ gti) 

Just been driving around

malibuguy
9/17/18 7:18 p.m.

I took a random OEM Toyota intercooler, tweaked it to fit and got the piping all done saturday night.  Car seems to run a SMIDGE better.  I hope to dyno wednesday night to see if anything improved.  I wonder if it really makes any sizeable difference at 3-3.5psi

before:

after:

Intake is not ideal atm.  But it was like 930 and I wanted to GTF home lol.  I got a few ideas.  Im not a fan of sharp silicone bends before or after turbos.  Peek that fresh china blue!

mycars12
mycars12 New Reader
9/18/18 8:13 p.m.

lol that looks like the tmic for the 4e. I switched over to a front mount over the tmic because of the heat soak. 

malibuguy
9/19/18 8:37 p.m.

In reply to mycars12 :

Its about 2wice as large then the 4efte one.  I know this because I traded one for this unit funny enough

malibuguy
9/21/18 7:18 a.m.

Dyno'd the car wednesday night.  Forgot that the dyno software was replaced since the last time I dyno'd the car so I dunno if its a direct comparison.

So the car made the same exact 87 whp...but 120 wtq.  The last time the torque was 92, I doubt the intercooler created that cuz I would definetly feel a 28 foot pounds difference in a car this little and under powered.  I do notice during a 3rd gear pull boost drops from 3.5 to 2.5 up top.  I want to try moving my wastegate boost line from the compressor to the intake manifold.

malibuguy
9/26/18 9:45 a.m.

Made a smoother, larger diameter intake. Lost some sound during liftoff surge but whatever. I cannot stand sharp silicone bends especially pre or post turbo

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
9/26/18 12:51 p.m.

Move the giant battery to the back and you can have a straight pipe to a cone filter.   Or just use a small battery, lawn tractor battery???

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a5qe9VlOyuo8U7vEW2yRC28B8XaBotOSUVwSqkocETIQYlcXwZZP1K5e4IBm1l1d