1 2 3 4 5 6 7
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/26/18 8:37 p.m.
TED_fiestaHP said:

Move the giant battery to the back and you can have a straight pipe to a cone filter.   Or just use a small battery, lawn tractor battery???

Luckily...i saved my modified bracket from my last turbo tercel that holds a "20" battery.

Its one of those...when this battery dies ill change it around and get a little one.  It just hasnt died yet.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/27/18 1:09 a.m.

One of the two times in my life I resigned myself to death was in the back seat of a Tercel.  Irish kid driving his older brothers car through Rock Creek Park chirping the tires everywhere.  He would have killed five people that day if he'd even put it anywhere near the curb and the immediate trees never mind the other drivers. indecision

The other time was a Mormon teenager in his new S13 in the rain.  Again sitting in the back I tried at least to move to the center a little.  indecision

Back on topic.  I've always loved the style of these little things.  Heck with a tasteful body kit they look kinda BMWish. smiley

mycars12
mycars12 New Reader
10/3/18 5:55 p.m.

Im surprised how much 3.5psi changes a motor. I went from a 5e to a 4e and its a world of difference. Boost is quite addictive. 

malibuguy
10/6/18 11:38 p.m.

Minor update...

Upped the boost to around 4psi.  It was more like 3psi with it tapering to around 2.5 at the top end.  SO now I have it at the very limit of the MAP sensor without it flipping out.  I used an old 3Bar racing (gus mahon style) boost controller that Ive had for years.  

Also I now have a working O2 sensor...Ive been trying to limp along with a few old ones Ive had, finally broke down and spent the big bucks ($35?)on a new Denso unit.  That made a large difference in the driveability of the car, even tho my wideband always read safe, the bum non working ones kept the motor in safe mode so It was never absolutely happy.  Now its resposive and peppy and I should get back to nearly 40mpg averages again.  Lately ive been getting around 32mpg and it sucks ass at 3.25 a gallon premium

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
10/7/18 9:11 a.m.

Looking good! Those three spoke wheels are killer.

malibuguy
10/12/18 8:08 p.m.

I took my old valve cover from my last tercel that has 2 AN fittings in it and cleaned it up for reuse.  I was going to redo it in the same grey as it was (and my wheels are for that matter) but I saw this color at Walmart and just said "YES".

I am glad I did.  I also wirewheeled and painted several little brackets and things just to tidy up the engine bay a little along with a wipedown.  Going to the RADwood show in Philly this coming sunday so why not make it semi-presentable!

malibuguy
11/13/18 10:15 p.m.

Not a whole lot new...other then I notice my idle is a little rougher then normal.

Decided to do a compression check and first 3 are fine (all around 220psi)...cylinder #4 is at 115psi...

Lovely.  I have another 5efe motor thats in really good shape (the valve seals are actually intact) and has slightly less mileage.  I can do a lateral move...or go forward with the 1nz/c151 swap.

Meanwhile...ran autoX a few weeks ago, then this past sunday I ran the car at the TrackCross (yes with 3 1/2 cylinders) and ended up doing VERY well.  Got 2nd in my class (FWD boosted & n/a 2.5+).  Sad thing there was plenty of proper fast cars with more tire much slower then me.  Toot my own horn?  maybe.  An automatic tercel with 80-something whp and 500tw tires should be at the back of the whole pack LOL

Had a ton of fun, and even got to play on the skidpad!

Chris from Finishlineprod.net took the fantastic pictures.

malibuguy
11/14/18 9:46 p.m.

video of last sunday

https://youtu.be/TUs_NjejLxo

midniteson
midniteson Reader
11/15/18 6:51 a.m.

That track looks like a blast. Cool car! I have an 86 tercel 4wd, i plan to swap in a 4afe for some more power. i hope to track some day as well. 

malibuguy
12/9/18 9:49 p.m.

Nothing really new to report on Floyd, hell I havent really driven the car much.  So much going on, my shop is really busy just got done a 4efte engine swap in my friends car.  It already had a 4efte swap, he had the head redone and the guy that was working on it, swapped vacuum lines with the coolant lines (for the TB) and hurt the motor sucking in gallons of coolant.   So we sourced another long block and switched his upgraded turbo and I fully serviced the motor along with new intercooler piping and a new exhaust.

I got another car coming in this week, an 87 Corolla with a tired 4ac, thats going to get a full 4efte swap to wake the car up a bit.  Going to installed pretty much as stock with better intercooler and exhaust.  Also keeping the 4spd auto (that comes with the 4efte) as the car is more of a fun commuter.

malibuguy
1/6/19 3:13 a.m.
malibuguy
1/10/19 5:41 p.m.

Put stickies on Floyd, changed out the brake fluid and set a more aggressive alignment for last weekends event.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
1/11/19 9:23 p.m.

You go out to Summit Point right?  How do you like the refrigerator bowl events?

malibuguy
1/13/19 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer :

Yes and yes.  I like them alot.  Gives you a good taste of both worlds...track days and autoX.

I used to run with Nasa and run HPDE (with the aim to do time attack stuff) with my last car.  Well I dont have disposable income anymore, and Floyd is not particularly competitive in autoX.  But it does well with this form of inbetween racing.

I highly recommend it.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/14/19 2:00 p.m.

Specs on the "20" battery? I assume 20ah agm motorsickle style? Need something small for a 1.8l and those are challenge priced.

malibuguy
1/14/19 8:05 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

It was a 20EXL?  Big Crank i bought online for like $80.  It worked good back then

malibuguy
2/10/19 1:05 p.m.
malibuguy
4/6/19 9:07 a.m.

Ok cliff note update

Maxed out the stock injectors at 7psi with AEM FI/C

Installed Starlet 295s and return rail, FRS fuel pump and added a random spring to WG. 7 range plugs at .020".

Boost is now 14psi with a jump to 16psi on the top end, it will spin the tires thru 1st sometimes chirp 2nd and freaking hauls the mail until i let off. It initially was at 18psi but I backed it down because skinny rods and stock ring gaps.

This car is FUN and gets E36 M3 mileage because I love flooring it. Getting around 27mpg.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/6/19 9:11 a.m.

Every time this thread pops up I get happy and go check CL for Tercels. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
4/6/19 3:22 p.m.

How are you keeping all that controlled without an intercooler?

malibuguy
4/6/19 8:40 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

You know what?  I never did post about it.  The car has had an intercooler for a while.  Its a random Toyota unit that was given to me and I modified slightly to work.  Its hidden.  You cannot see it from the front.  Ill post pics when I get on my computer 

malibuguy
4/14/19 9:07 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I dont seem to have the pics of when I installed it.  Ill have to take some the next chance I get

new video from the other weekend, dyno pulls and dragstrip

VIDEO

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/15/19 10:45 a.m.

Nice video! 

Get that boost up and the trans will shift harder. If you get it working hard enough to bang the rev limiter in first it will use that time to make the shift.

Same in second but that requires quite a lot of boost.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/15/19 11:09 a.m.

This thing is so awesome. I love it. I also am a fan of that K-car wagon in the video. Here in Minnesota neither your Tercel or that K car exist. They've all been sacrificed to the salt gods many years ago. 

The Tercel is an auto right? I'm impressed that the trans holds up. 

malibuguy
4/16/19 4:28 p.m.
1SlowVW said:

Nice video! 

Get that boost up and the trans will shift harder. If you get it working hard enough to bang the rev limiter in first it will use that time to make the shift.

Same in second but that requires quite a lot of boost.

Get the boost up??  Im already at 16psi LOL

Gunchsta said:

This thing is so awesome. I love it. I also am a fan of that K-car wagon in the video. Here in Minnesota neither your Tercel or that K car exist. They've all been sacrificed to the salt gods many years ago. 

The Tercel is an auto right? I'm impressed that the trans holds up. 

Yessir, 4speed auto.  Which has sort of become the novelty of this project.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZN1wH9DmGvWcWlXBnODPAYlabsmvZGD1AHad12jpa7QhrtYC1TqZnhUnKZc5rzS