1 ... 14 15 16 17
engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
6/27/21 6:43 a.m.

Unfortunate results, but I'm amazed by the hustle and effort given the circumstances! It shouldn't take long to find a new long block, keep an eye on marketplace and the DSM groups and one will pop up.  Sometimes it's best to start over with a new core for a rebuild, if you can find a stock untouched engine.

If you have bad luck finding one here, another option would be a JDM 6 bolt. They used to be under $600 a long time ago but have gone up in recent years due to availability. I'm not keen on it, but there might be some preferred vendors someone else can speak to for JDM Mitsubishi engines. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/21 7:53 a.m.

Man that sucks.  I've loved this car since the orginal ad was put up.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/27/21 8:53 a.m.

Glad to hear since we last spoke, that the DSM is no longer an orphan.....wink

Carry on and don't kill yourself.....late,

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/21 9:15 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

I've been talking to the seller about this. 

He pulled the rod caps & the crank looks better than mine. I asked him to pull the main caps & a couple cam caps. If it looks good I hope to go pick it all up next weekend. 

Realistically with work & the oppressive heat I probably won't make much progress for a few months. Hopefully this fall I can get the best bits from both engines gathered up & to the machine shop. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/21 10:38 p.m.

Since it will no longer be a challenge build, I'll inquire as to whether E85 is available locally to you, as if it is, that turbonetics 50 trim will become much more autocrossable with a massive fuel pump, injectors and corn syrup. 

6/28/21 5:35 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Sadly no, it isn't. Really though, there isn't much lag. It's just a nice strong pull to redline. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
6/28/21 6:50 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Sadly no, it isn't. Really though, there isn't much lag. It's just a nice strong pull to redline. 

Nice find!  The bearings look pretty good, but hard to say it's all good without measurements.  If you can find a decent shop, it shouldn't be too expensive for a "stock" or mild rebuild, and like you said they can figure out what parts to use.  Cylinder head rebuild with stock components is typically around $300 here, short block rebuilds I haven't really inquired about recently.

If you're curious about how "blueprinting" is done at a machine shop, maybe I already posted this, but JafroMobile has some good videos on laymans engine measurement on the 4G63 example. You really do need specialty quality tools, which is part of what you're paying a local machine shop for.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0D200381832F9738

6/28/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Thanks, I'll check out his vid. I've watched a couple other ones, but that was a long time ago & I completely forgot about his channel. 

From the local DSM guy who replied to my for-sale post, there's a decent & not too expensive machine shop about 40-minutes from here that he's used with success. I'm also hoping my head isn't trashed, since I just had it redone last year. 

Any advice on what oil pump I should look for? I'm not sure if there are even any options other than OE?

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
6/28/21 9:01 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Thanks, I'll check out his vid. I've watched a couple other ones, but that was a long time ago & I completely forgot about his channel. 

From the local DSM guy who replied to my for-sale post, there's a decent & not too expensive machine shop about 40-minutes from here that he's used with success. I'm also hoping my head isn't trashed, since I just had it redone last year. 

Any advice on what oil pump I should look for? I'm not sure if there are even any options other than OE?

Only buy OEM mitsubishi pumps! Especially if you're doing a rebuild, the Topline or any other aftermarket pumps don't have a good track record and can quickly trash an engine.  ACL/Orbit does have a pump out there, but it's just not worth trying to save $200 after dropping $2000+ on an engine rebuild. I've had an aftermarket pump fail, sounded like a supercharger, the gears were eating into the front case and made a ton of shavings.  I caught it quick enough I hope, but not something you want to risk on a rebuild.

Most places will sell the oil pump gears separate from the front case, so keep that in mind.  There are helical gears, 1991+ and straight pump gears 1990 only, really the helical gears are fine and they're likely all you'll find anyway.

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/OEM-Oil-Pump-Front-Case-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-6-Bolt-SALE.html

6/28/21 3:13 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

That's good to know. I have no clue what year the engine is, although I know the oil filter I need is from later than 1992. But I'm not sure if the oil filter mount is in any way related to what oil pump it has? This thing is like Johnny Cash's Caddy...

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
6/28/21 3:33 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

That's good to know. I have no clue what year the engine is, although I know the oil filter I need is from later than 1992. But I'm not sure if the oil filter mount is in any way related to what oil pump it has? This thing is like Johnny Cash's Caddy...

The oil pump of any year 6-bolt has the same front cover, so any oil filter housing will bolt up.  

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/21 8:36 a.m.

I need to look through my bin of DSM parts, I can't remember if the pump cover I have is for a 6 or 7 bolt.

7/2/21 12:31 p.m.

So yeah, this happened last night. 

The engine is clean, like I could probably send it, but I'm not taking that risk. It appears to have a new oil pump, and that reman alternator will come in handy since I have a hunch my PS leak trashed mine. 

The seller was a super cool guy. In addition to his Conquest he has a coyote-swapped 65 Mustang he's working on. He had someone else who wanted the 2 spare heads, so I ended up with everything else for $900. In that pile, but not listed in his ad were: 2 ignition modules & a coil pack, the ISC for the throttle body(though it looks like parts are missing), a second uncut wiring harness,  and he was told one of the ECUs was "chipped". So I need to open it up & see if it has ECMLink. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
7/2/21 1:29 p.m.

That is a nice haul for prices these days! Good luck on the rebuild, it will be fun to watch.

7/12/21 11:56 p.m.

I finally got the engine out of the van & onto a stand yesterday. 

I'm curious - is this oil cooler worth trying to use? I don't have one now(and it may not fit with my aluminum baffled pan). Is this one an oil-to-water cooler?

I had a few minutes left, so I drained the oil from the car - there was quite a bit of metallic debris on the drain plug. Because of the high-capacity pan, my regular oil catch pan isn't big enough, so I've been using an old cat litter box instead. Because it's more flimsy & tricky to pour into a large funnel into an empty bottle solo, I just left it under the car last night. So I walk out this afternoon to discover my own personal superfund site...

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
7/13/21 9:18 a.m.

That is the 91-94 water-oil cooler oil filter housing, if you already have a 90 style like below, that is the only one that can be used with an air-oil cooler.  I would highly recommend if you do have an air-oil cooler to toss the one on the car and buy a new one, it's not worth trying to clean out the debris from the old cooler and risk having it ingested into the brand new engine rebuild!  Oil coolers are relatively inexpensive, engine rebuilds are not.

The water-oil cooler is probably fine, simplifies installation quite a bit and the cooling capacity should be adequate except for very hot track days running high load for extended periods.  There is a different "water pipe", the pipe that connects the water pump over to the thermostat housing, for the air-oil cooler version that doesnt have the extra coolant barbs.  But you can always loop or block off those extra barbs on the 91+ water pipe  and use the 90 oil fitler housing for the air-oil cooler.

http://vfaq.com/mods/oilcool.html

MD132912 1G 6-Bolt 4G63 DSM Air-Cooled Oil Filter Housing

7/13/21 10:27 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Good to know - thanks! The car doesn't have an oil cooler. I suppose it's probably a good idea to add one, even if it'll only see autox use?

Though I'm wondering if the cooler will fit with the aluminum oil pan, it definitely protrudes more than the stock one. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/21 10:39 a.m.

My gosh.....  what did I enable?  I look forward to video of this being driven hard.

7/15/21 5:28 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

You & me both!

7/15/21 5:31 a.m.
yupididit said:

This thread made me look for a galant vr4 for 20 min. I miss mine. Just a hair under 500hp before it got flooded. I've come to my senses though. 

The DSM guy I met over in Gulfport told me last night that he's selling one of his & it seems like a decent deal. He sent a few pics if you're interested. 

7/15/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Are you near Gulfport?  

7/15/21 2:58 p.m.

I'm next door in Biloxi. 

7/15/21 10:51 p.m.

I'm next door in Biloxi. 

Wow I may be a whole lot closer to there myself in the next year.  Do you have any rallycross nearby?  

7/16/21 5:34 a.m.

No, but Aeromoto & I have been trying to start something. There just haven't been enough people to get it started. He found a site that will host it, and Delta region scca will sanction it, but we need to put together a crew, cones & timing system to get it started. 

It sounds like yupididit is going to be pretty close too in the upcoming months, so if nothing else maybe the 4 of us can rent the site & just run our own private event. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/21 7:46 a.m.
yupididit said:

This thread made me look for a galant vr4 for 20 min. I miss mine. Just a hair under 500hp before it got flooded. I've come to my senses though. 

The DSM guy I met over in Gulfport told me last night that he's selling one of his & it seems like a decent deal. He sent a few pics if you're interested. 

Text me pics! 

1 ... 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AWyldwGKSrkXCVENtEXLlZQGe3DRf43DD7fUl8opEsXMlrBfu0xdpTiHMnh2zYaa