TJ74_
TJ74_ New Reader
7/16/21 2:15 p.m.

So a customer of my shop came to us and wanted to do a purpose built endurance NC MX5 that just about anyone could get in and drive to the limit, even if they didn't have much experience with a manual transmission. So after some brainstorming we came up with the idea to mate a 2.5l to the dual clutch out of the BMW M4, because the NC chassis is already great why not make it shift in a 1/10 of a second right? Along with that it has a big Nine Lives Racing wing, a Racebred front splitter and a full flat bottom floor back to a custom diffuser. It's on the Spec MX-5 Penske coilovers and we have been running the Hankook RS-4's all the way around the car. 

If anyone wants to see the full build thread just let me know.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/21 2:51 p.m.

Uh. Yes.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/16/21 2:52 p.m.
TJ74_ said:

If anyone wants to see the full build thread just let me know.

I don't know why you bother asking when everybody is going to say "yes". wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 2:54 p.m.

Did you work on this with Anders in Germany?

TJ74_
TJ74_ New Reader
7/16/21 3:09 p.m.
TJ74_
TJ74_ New Reader
7/16/21 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

No, we worked with HTG out of Poland for the transmission controller

TJ74_
TJ74_ New Reader
7/16/21 3:16 p.m.

Also here it is on track if anyone wants to see it in motion.

https://youtu.be/9FIc-nHbwjI

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/17/21 9:05 p.m.

I've heard of a S2000 with a BMW DCT swap for track use, but this is the first Miata.  Nice work!

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/19/21 10:05 a.m.

Very cool. Do you have any under-car pictures? Curious what clearancing is like with a factory- located header and OTS exhaust options. Did you make a mount for the PPF, or remove the PPF entirely? I'm thinking at the power levels I have in mind I will be looking at a stronger (Ford 8.8) differential option, so will end up removing the PPF and coming up with a way to mount the transmission otherwise. 

I have a vested interest in this, there seem to be two NC 2.5 DCTs out there now, I would like to make it 3 :). 

TJ74_
TJ74_ New Reader
7/21/21 10:24 a.m.

In reply to SpeedTheory :

I will get some more under-car pictures next time it's in the air, the only underside pictures I have right now are with the flat bottom floor on so you can't see anything. We fabricated a new PPF to fit the BMW trans to the RX8 diff. 

I only know of our NC, what is the other one? I'd be very interested in seeing how they did it. Also do you already have an idea of how you are going to mate the DCT and engine? If not we are going to be selling the adapter we designed if you might be interested.

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/22/21 9:01 a.m.

I would probably be interested. Also trying to likely sort a dual mass flywheel out. From what I'm gathering from others this is going to be a necessity. 

Yours and one in Poland, they have a video up on the HTG tuning YouTube channel. 

The real questions for me are the ones that I think down the road would be rather challenging to solve, like one of exhaust clearance. Doing a 3in with factory routing is the goal (turbocharged 2.5). Just not sure how wide the DCT is in practice to make that viable.

One other I have is if the oil Pan for the DCT is now the lowest point on the car / is unprotected? Not the end of the world, but would love to avoid it. Not sure if you're using stock pan or any of the aftermarket options out there.

Finally, did you all key the crank for the motor? Curious if it will be needed off the bat with a DCT. 

Of course, if the supply chain stays how it is now it may be 2025 until this is relevant, have been waiting on a number of parts for a pretty long time now. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6l05TWzq0RmJUt9cmxx0yD0mJGeTUhZ51ls4WStPdVEDW97oxlfHKQc3ZXO7IzGk