1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 76
Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/14/21 10:25 a.m.

I'm making a pullapart run this week, anything you want me to look for?  I rarely go into the Dodge section but I've seen lots of PTs and Neons there

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/14/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

First gen dohc valve cover? I want one to polish and don't think i have any extras.

Otherwise, i unfortunately can't think of anything. Thanks for the offer!!!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/14/21 12:40 p.m.

Got it, I'll look.  If I see any aftermarket bits I'll text you while I'm there 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/14/21 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Perfect! Same with minty dash parts for first gen. You rock. Or konis. If you find a first gen with konis, im paying you to gut it.

In other news, i can't wait to ditch work to go get my engine. One step closer to having a fun neon again!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/21 1:07 p.m.

You better finish that engine swap quick, Challenge is one month away!

Dusterbd13-michael
9/14/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

We're not making it this year, unfortunately. Between job changes, loss of pto, unexpected house repairs and a myriad of other excuses, i gave my registration to stampie. The engine in over winter is my plan, and hopefully finish shakedown next spring and summer for a good fall challenge showing. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/21 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Rats, I was looking forward to seeing you!

But I get it.

Im local and it's easy for me....probably take it for granted...

Dusterbd13-michael
9/14/21 6:55 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

We were too. But life obviously has other plans. It sucks, but it's ok. Next year. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/14/21 6:59 p.m.

Oh, and i picked up the engine today. He refused my core, saying i prepaid with three dead neon engines and two neon shells already. Told me to keep the trans and accessories too.

So, i can deduct the gaskets and timing belt kit from the budget, add in the replacement stuff for the pt cruiser engine....

Dusterbd13-michael
9/15/21 7:48 a.m.

Well, guy im trading the taillights to for the service parts just threw in the 2.4 power steering pump bracket that i need! So, essentially a budget reduction by blowing up the 2.0

So far. 

Have to port another head, and send to machine shop for decking and checking out. Im not confident, based on the amount of glitter in the oil, that the good head that has now been on TWO blown ul engines has anything resembling good cam journals anymore. And i don't want to modify my intake manifold and long tube to fit the pt head, or use the pt valve cover. 

Additionally, i need to fing a good design for windage tray and pan baffles for the pt oil pan so i dont starve it and kill it like o did with the 2.0

However, i need to get the current list done before starting this path again. 

Dusterbd13-michael
10/14/21 5:30 a.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 6:19 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

How long do you have into them so far?

Dusterbd13-michael
10/14/21 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That one intake port pair is all ive done. And it took about two hours. And im not sure its good enough. Waiting for oldschooltoy to comment in the porting thread. 

But its way better than it was!

Dusterbd13-michael
10/20/21 5:11 p.m.

intake ports 2&3 done. Getting faster and better results now. Port 1 will need some attention. Down to about 1.25 hours now. 

Need more flap discs. These things die quickly, but are awesome for this.

Hopefully all this is worth it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/9/21 4:26 p.m.

two ports completely done. I kept messing with them until I got happy. 

Two more to fine tune, then exhaust ports. 

Horde for cams and cash swap scheduled for second week of December 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/21 6:24 p.m.

Looks good!

Will you follow that up with polishing too?

Dusterbd13-michael
11/9/21 6:38 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I don't think I will. Seems to be different schools of thought on that, but a good smooth 80 grit surface makes the most sense to me .keeps a boundary layer of air along the port wall like a golf ball the way i understand it. 

I know ghis port job leaves a lot to be desired. Im NOT a pro. I doubt they flow evenly between cylinders, and doubt they make much more power than stock. But i feel good for trying.  I just have to stop somewhere, as i rjn out of talent and knowledge. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/21 9:38 a.m.

I wouldn't say you don't have talent.  Knowledge is acquired by trying new things.  Looking good.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
11/12/21 12:14 p.m.

I think your port work is awesome.  Of course, I don't know much about it though 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/29/21 6:54 a.m.

Waaaaay too many hours here. But, should flow better than stock,  the oil should return to the pan quicker than stock, and it should run better overall. 

Time to take it to roy, my machinist friend. He said hed do the valves and decking in between cnc jobs on his old manual machines. We're thinking of whacking .035 off the head to get to 11:1 compression to match the crower cams and porting. Don't know if thats the right direction, but im making this up as i go at this point. 

But look at those bowls! Im REALLY happy with how they turned out. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
11/29/21 7:42 a.m.

Porting is crazy time consuming! But that looks great 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/29/21 7:55 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

Yeah it is. This head took the most time of any porting ive done. But its also the best ive done. So....

Thanks! 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/21 6:51 p.m.

Super cool!  Nice work!

Dusterbd13-michael
11/29/21 8:43 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Thanks!

I actually uncovered the  eon for the first time in months today and stared at it. 

I think im getting excited about getting it going again. It won't be until after Christmas due to cam delays, but that's ok. Doesn't have to be done to get me to work. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/1/21 6:56 a.m.

a few months ago bgkast sent me his blueprints for his windage tray and pan baffles. Finally printed them out in scale and scrounged up a scrap of aluminum. Used some 3m super77 to glue the templates to the aluminum. Time to get to making it. I refuse to kill another engine in this car. To my knowledge, its about to recieve engine four since i bought it the first time. 

1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 76

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jAbmPjvCyYRG8u4zCK3KjZJVOsGHm5OBf9ztZPsDpXEe2kqlCJ91d7fmIg4yIKX0