1 ... 72 73 74 75 76
Gambit
Gambit New Reader
3/24/22 8:57 p.m.

Is it a one piece cover or can you take it all apart separately to clean it? A steam cleaner would probably get it most of the way clean

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/24/22 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

Its a very complex cover with multiple pieces and many listing strips. 

Its also coming apart like the fabric is dryrotted. 

Once i love them, ill look at a recover 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/29/22 2:48 p.m.

Saturday write up 

Itvwas cold, and windy. I had first shift waivers, and chris brought me coffee and a biscuit to help warm me up. Best instructor ever!

But a VERY pretty sunrise.

Once i got done working, i walked the course and got registered and everything. Big course, with a few tight and tricky spot. But wide open enough to be fast.

We had madratel and his father, stu laswell, and Stafford1500 representing grm as a group in the pits, adopting chris and luke. We had plenty for lunch and tools. Nice group to pit with. Good fellowship and community. 

I was dfl by four seconds. But the car didn't break. And was predictable. Which is 80% of the battle. 

The rs4 just couldn't build any heat, and therefore no grip. I couldn't lay down any power or brake, and it was understeering badly most of the time. Just couldn't get it to behave. Hopefully with more heat and seat time, it gets better. I know that the car is capable. Just wasn't this weekend, but it was a super rushed effort. 

The 2.4 is GLORIOUS. 7500 it stops making power, but pulls hard everywhere in the rpm range. Its geeat. Oil pressure didn't so much as flixker.!

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/30/22 10:03 a.m.

We had a great time.  My dad was incredulous "how do you know all these people? you walk up and just act like you've known them forever!"  um, because I have? 

I took very few pictures after being away a few years but I had a damn blast and Duster knows how to make EVERYONE feel welcome.  Dad has spent the next three days talking about "well maybe we can do that vette kart thing or maybe we should just keep using our cars".   As always, it's hard not to look back and realize you tied up an ENTIRE day for 4 (or 5 for us novices)  runs and about 5 minutes of racing time....   

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/22 10:22 a.m.

Besides the wind, it was a good day for me too. Nice to meet Mad_Ratel and his dad, and good to see Michael and Stu again.

I have a list of things to do on the Challenge car to make it better for this year. Maybe spend more than 10 minutes throwing a suspension adjustment at it...

The big course was fun and I screwed up exactly where I figured I would after the course walk and studying the track layout. Michael was nice enough to not mention his raw time in the Neon was better than mine in the vette kart, by about 1.5seconds. I am not suprised that the pro driver at the challenge spun the car first time out after spinning it twice this past weekend myself. Just like Michael, my tires really never got enough temp in them. Better temps will come with the hotter days on the way...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/30/22 12:36 p.m.

Looks like a boat load of fun. Now you're making me miss the 2.4 Neon I sold last year

Dusterbd13-michael
3/30/22 3:46 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

I honestly didn't know I was faster than you! It's going to be fun running two radically different challenge cars against one another all season. 

Madratel: thanks. Im glad to know you and your dad. And very glad you came to join us!

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
3/30/22 6:27 p.m.

That wind was indeed the worst thing about the event.  In HCS we had quite a battle with my trusty TR3 coming in second  in a battle with 3 MGBs.  Our class had a spread of only 1.5 seconds from 1st to 4th!  And yes, my Triumph also put in a faster time than stafford1500's vette-cart!  Just had to say...

Dusterbd13-michael
3/30/22 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

Your car is almost xsb quick with your driving. Don't sell your old iron short!

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
3/30/22 11:16 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I could run in XSB... then you could no longer claim "DFL"!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/22 1:05 a.m.

Excellent! Good news on the oil pressure. Glad that crazy baffle works!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/22 7:56 a.m.

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

Scary thing is you are faster than me! I just have more power. If you brought the mini to xsb, there would be no competition.

Bgkast: so far so good! Thanks again for the blueprint!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/22 8:01 a.m.

one of the things i recently realized is that when i built the car, i used whatever brake pads were thickest from all the parts cars, and whatever open bottles of brake fluid i had around. 

That explains why i had brake fade on the bullring, and very inconsistent braking this weekend. I ordered the bottom of the barrel stoptech pads (z17?) That im using on the wifes van and my miata. That, and a couple quarts of fresh fluid flushed through should make a big difference. Im also relubing sliders and doing a nut and bolt check while in there. Seems like a good idea. And the new to me quickjack makes it way less painful than it ised to be! Glad i bought it. 

Also, i got a professional photographer picture of mary and i taking the car around the bullring. It was her first time ever on a racetrack. She giggled. A lot. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/31/22 8:54 a.m.

Artist's eye critique on the photo. Car needs more purple. We know the color, and it is not that cobalt.

Fluid and pads should make a huge difference. I ran white trash at mid Ohio with 2 drivers basically a 20min session hop out, fuel, next driver 20 min session and never had brake fade. Turned junkyard rotors, cheap ceramic pads in rear and hawk HP+ up front. Never had a issue. 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/22 9:39 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Agreed. She used sone sort of filter and its way more blue than it is. Granted, this car looks anything from bring nlue to purple depending on the lighting. Kinda why I love it.

Brap: i hope so! And with tgem being cheap pads, challenge legal!

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/22 10:32 a.m.

Good to see the car out, and doing what you built it to do.   Having fun with a project is the greatest reward.  You'll get the brakes sorted out. Enjoy!

PS:  I really like the picture of all the cars under the bleachers.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/6/22 8:41 a.m.

This weekend is a two day at zmax. 

Car is already loaded.

New pads got bedded, quart of fresh fluid run through the brakes, nut and bolt check, flipped the rear tires due to shoulder wear from robs endurance car, checked fluids, installed the nitrous solenoids and fixed the battery tray/harness stuff finally. 

And charged the ac. Ready to go! 

Need to find test and tune schedule for zmax and get some drag passes in on it on and off the bottle. See what it'll do. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/6/22 11:35 p.m.

Good luck, have fun!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/7/22 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Thanks! Going to try.

In other news, production numbers for all acr's were finally published. 

Turns out this car is one of 35 lapis coupes produced in 97, and the only year lapis was on an acr. So one of 35. One of two confirmed acr lapis coupes still around. The others aren't verified by vin. 

Im not sure how i feel about this. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/22 7:59 a.m.

Bring a trailer is how i would feel about it  laugh

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/22 8:03 a.m.

Just don't ball it up at the track :) 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/7/22 8:23 a.m.
Patrick said:

Bring a trailer is how i would feel about it  laugh

This is probably the right answer. However I promised Mary a challenge run in it. So it'll probably go up tax time next year

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
4/7/22 8:41 a.m.

yeah get it absolutely perfect and bring a trailer it... there is no record of that generation acr selling, so you might get some crazy number thrown at you

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/7/22 10:24 a.m.

its' BRING A TRAILER TIME!

I took tomorrow off to drive the mustang for a proper alignment.  I'll be at the event saturday to pick up the wheels/tires we spoke about (guy is driving 5 hours and doing both days).  Dad has Bee Club things to do so we are going to run Sunday.  

Eventually i'll get my thread up to current time.  it's almost a year behind right now.  Finding out I cant mass upload photos has got me fuming.

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8AFs8Vub8RKyqFmd2RSCm7Zha3tQNqFQFrLnJZZy70V5UG0bZCn1Qb0JVtopTJbA