1 2 3 4 ... 9
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/14/22 12:36 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Pretty sure those are American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels of some sort.  Might be actual magnesium and not all-aluminum like they have been for a while now. 

There's a bunch of wheels that work for me on something like this.  And the white does it for me as well.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/14/22 2:14 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I would use that to low buck clone this;

Don't need to repaint, do need to figure out the FIA headlights, I would probably skip the sidepipes.  50/50 on the Ferrari decal.

But you do you, of course.

Any more pictures of this version , rear view etc

that style sure does take the ugly away ,

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/14/22 2:18 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Le Mans Corvette with a Ferrari badge

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/22 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Congrats! I have a 75 languishing in my garage disguised as a shelf becoming my own personal barn find. Just had the "why Corvette" conversation with one of my students last week. I was young and the neighbor (ten years older than I) across the street had a red on white 77. She gave me a ride in it once. Hooked ever since.

Time to get back to it. I'd love to see some of the suspension upgrades that make it track worthy. Is there a roll bar or cage?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/14/22 3:15 p.m.

Is it possible to put the 1972 nose and tail on a later "crash bumper" 1976. Vette  to make it look like the Lemans Vette.

and how hard is it to find a removable hardtop ?

Just thinking......

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 5:43 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

We'll take some pictures but just glancing this morning there's a lot of nice parts on it.  There's a harness bar but no roll bar or cage.

So this morning we agreed to meet at 9am at the shop where the car was.  I set the alarm for 7 but found myself wide awake at 6:30.  Guess I might as well get out of bed.  After I got out of the shower SKJSS text and said he could meet us earlier if we wanted.  Don't have to ask us twice.  We got there first and figuring I'd already sent him the money we starting playing with the new toy.  You can tell this car was loved and done nicely.  Everywhere you look there's a trick part or a nice touch.

SKJSS got there and we went to start her up.  He had warned me that the battery wasn't keeping a charge well so we weren't surprised when it didn't turn over.  I pulled the Suburban around and we hooked up jumper cables.  Between the low battery and I think a little flooding I decided that I'd go old school and come a long it.  Well first I grabbed my portable wench and then remembered that it's remote was sitting in my 1500 truck 400 miles away.  Come a long it is.  Car is pretty light and SKJSS and I were able to push it into position without any issues.  Then we got a little exercise getting it up on the trailer.  The exhaust hangs a little low but barely cleared with my trailer tongue jacked up.

Loaded up we got on the road and headed back.  SKJSS noticed that one of our trailer tires was low on air so we put air in it 100 yards down the road.  Pretty uneventful ride back and now I get to go through the stack of paperwork he handed me along with the title (bonus it's FL so I don't even have to take the car in).  So the big question in his FI thread was what are the specs on the engine.  About 3/4s of the way down the stack I found a receipt from Summit Racing.  We have the Summit Racing SUM-226010 - Summit Racing™ Stage 3 Intake Manifold, Summit Racing SUM-162109 - Summit Racing™ 62cc Aluminum Cylinder Heads, and the important part a Summit Racing SUM-1105 - Summit Racing™ Classic Camshaft.

For those that don't want to click the specs on the cam are:

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:

Duration at 050 inch Lift:

224 int./234 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:

Advertised Exhaust Duration:

Advertised Duration:

298 int./304 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:

0.466 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:

0.487 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:

0.466 int./0.487 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):

First order of business is to get it started.  We're trying the double battery in parallel trick to try and get the C3's battery to take a charge.  It's a 3/21 build date so should be savable.  Next is wheels and tires.  To get performance tires that I want looks like we'll have to go up to 17s or 18s.  Those Torq Thrust mentioned above are about the only ones available in the offset we need.  My wallet is hurting so I'll probably sulk until tomorrow and then order them.  I'm thinking Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s for tires.  If you guys have thoughts let me know.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/14/22 5:47 p.m.

Panasport or Minilite style wheels would work too.  Trans Am Race Engineering offers the in 17" diameter and a variety of BCP or drill your own versions.  Summit sells them or buy direct.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/14/22 5:51 p.m.

Hmmm, seems Summit and Jegs no longer offer them.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/22 6:25 p.m.

I need to get me a c3 in GT7 to see what a pair of TE37's look like on them. Lol

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'd be honored to paint the hood/underhood mural on that majestic beast. 

No promises that it will actually look good though.

Stampie
5/14/22 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I will consider your offer. 

Researching tires and tire height I decided that I should check ground clearance as I knew it was a little low. 

It's a little lower than I thought. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/14/22 7:51 p.m.

Holy Bangin' Pipes, Stampman!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/22 9:54 p.m.

BFG sport comp 2 tires. I have them on Sawblades and I use spacers to fit. 17x8.5 and 17x9.5

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/22 10:03 p.m.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/22 10:17 p.m.

27 inch tires gets you +2 inches of ride height.

Do eet.

We need to hang out for an entire weekend sometime....  with Michael. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/22 10:21 p.m.

I've had a couple of sets of the Indy 500 tires on my Ralliart wagon. They're very good in the rain, and have surprisingly decent grip on a dry surface. The sidewalls are not very stiff compared to a good 200 TW tire, so they tend to wear the shoulders a lot when pushed hard.

There are better tires, but I like the price for a summer tire for a street car, and they hold their own in an autocross. They were the answer for the cold and wet weather at the state Championship last fall. I was second in H Street against better drivers in faster cars.

You can see how much they roll onto the shoulders, 35 PSI here in a FWD car isn't enough. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/14/22 10:28 p.m.

Needs black, short length side pipes.  Protecting your hearing is overrated.  

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/22 10:46 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I am strangely drawn to those. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/22 10:47 p.m.

I liked the factory wheels we had on our 79, but I'm guessing they are heavy and small. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/15/22 9:12 a.m.

Those headers hang way lower than I remember any other set of C3 Corvette headers hanging. I think we may need to look first for different header options before you worry about Tire. They almost look like old full size truck headers.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/15/22 10:18 a.m.

It was awesome to meet you in person Stampie!  I know the car is in good hands and I can't wait to see it on the road.  You've got to take some video of it.  Sorry it wouldn't start, it started the day before...with a jump.  Flush that old fuel out and it should be good to go.  There's all kind of good equipment on that thing, it should be a fun drive.

The story behind the car is awesome.  I bought it from the original owners' family.  The mother bought it new in '77 and it was her daily driver (she and her husband had a Corvette business).  Sometime in the late '80s or so they started doing autox.  Mother and daughter.  They got deeper and deeper into it and started doing HPDE.  Slowly the car became converted to a full time HPDE car as it is now.  It's been garage/race trailer kept its' entire life.  I bought it from the daughter who sold it to finance her own daughters' kart racing career.  I felt guilty selling it as soon as I bought it.  However when Stampie reached out to me and told me he had always wanted a C3, my wife and I started talking.  Our goal sort of switched from the time I originally agreed to purchase the C3 until I heard from Stampie.  My wife want to get into LeMons racing with me.  We decided we'd let the C3 go and focus on finding a used LeMons ready car...or "cheap" HPDE car and head towards LeMons.

Best of luck!!!

Stampie
5/15/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

It was great meeting you also and again thank you for letting me buy it.  I kept looking at it in the rear view mirror heading back and it is exactly what I wanted.

Yeah Michael I started thinking last night what the order should be. Looks like mid length headers would fit better and maybe allow me to get rid of that connection with the bolts hanging down. I think that could get me to 3 inches of ground clearance there. The important thing is I need to look over the whole thing for ground clearance. Hopefully the oil pan is higher than the current headers but if you look to the left in the picture the what looks like power steering lines pretty low. So first is look at everything, then exhaust, then think about tires. I like the tire height and ride height as it is. Front tire is 24.7 inches tall and rear 25.7 inches. I could take both up to gain ground clearance but I want to gain as much possible with other things first.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
5/15/22 10:53 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Those headers hang way lower than I remember any other set of C3 Corvette headers hanging. I think we may need to look first for different header options before you worry about Tire. They almost look like old full size truck headers.

The answer is sidepipes...

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/22 11:21 a.m.

Dude, that's amazing!

I'm assuming you've seen this car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-chevrolet-corvette-75/

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/22 11:28 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I agree, selling it to Stampie was a good choice. The car has always been cared for, and now it's going to the right person to continue with that. 

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yKGuhE3qxevUmEyy1dpAGrbLTloVZiyO1Q5onsFh5d7x6rBQ7GpMT8zqC4DX7xm4