1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 6:16 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

I really sorry you're having trouble getting it fired. It did run and drive when I was bringing it to the shop. At least, it made it 5 miles before the fuel pump.

By the way, those wheels are champagne color. Remember, your bougie now. 

I have no doubts about it.  Honestly the more I think about it and look at the receipts I think everything was new and low miles just that it sat for a decade.  Bringing a car back from sitting is an exorcize.  It's going to be fine.

Stampie
5/21/22 12:39 p.m.

Saturday is my one day that I don't have to set an alarm.  I'm getting old so that meant I slept in until 7am.   After a shower and breakfast I started in on Dug. 

First I pulled the carb. 

I noticed the gunk in the middle so I looked into the intake. It was wet with gas. That'll be the overwhelming gas smell and why it kept flooding. 

Got the new carb on. 

When deciding how I wanted to do the vacuum lines I noticed the brake booster line had two metal sections. Thought that was weird and happen to fill under one and felt something strange. This was pointing down so hard to notice.

That would make a very nice vacuum leak 

This is my stick named Bob. He came in very handy as I kept dropping stuff on the air gap intake. 

Went to do the plugs and discovered that the new plugs were longer. That prevented me from getting a socket in it because of the headers. Decided that it'll be a job for future me. 

Did the boring stuff like wire up the choke and route vacuum lines and then went to fire it up. Lil Stampie is at his mom's so excuse the videography. It's boring anyway but I filmed it so you get it. 

At that point I think I said berk. Might have just been in my head. Got back in and decided to do a flood clear start with full throttle. It fired right up!  I wasn't expecting it so I didn't start filming until after it started. Ignore the last minute of me fumbling around. The rattle was the air cleaner lid not tight. 

I had checked the oil earlier and sure enough it's over full and smells of gas. That's why I didn't run it long. Right now I'm hungry so lunch break and after lunch it's oil change time. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/21/22 12:42 p.m.

Trying to burn out that starter?  Give it a rest between tries, c'mon man!

I wonder if that's still a thing,  I know I got yelled at about it long enough. 
Dug sounds good!

Stampie
5/21/22 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I normally wouldn't run it that long but i was trying to fill the carb.

Mr_Asa
5/21/22 12:58 p.m.

Fair.  I usually try to fill the carb through the bowl vent, or go with some starting fluid to let the engine revs fill it.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/21/22 2:09 p.m.

Why the econo carb?  Deserves a 650 double pumper.

Stampie
5/21/22 3:02 p.m.

In reply to maj75 (Forum Supporter) :

Because National Carb has never steered me wrong. 

I just want to say that there should be a special place in hell for people that put oil filters on too tight.  I'm stepping away before I turn into the Hulk.

Grunion
Grunion New Reader
5/22/22 1:09 p.m.

Early 90's at work I had a lot of time on call and a friend asked if I could fix his "L88 C2 Corvette" for him ( I thought it was a C2, ugly flip-up pneumatic headlights and a panel that popped up to cover the wipers?). Black, flares, wide tires, side pipes (Hooker) that were rusted out in the collector and a nice 4-speed with a big chrome shifter. It needed a new cam and lifters. When I went to the dealer with "I need a cam and lifters for an L88" he got all excited. Back then I had no idea why. It had an 850 carb and was definitely a big block. When I gave him the serial number, he came back with "396, hydraulic lifters, 2 bbl carb out of a Chevelle." I was disappointed that it wasn't the Unicorn engine and so was he, but not nearly as disappointed as the owner who bought it after a hard summer of commercial fishing and got taken by the guy that sold it to him.

Anyway, the point of this story is that I got it running with its new (stock) cam and lifters and took it out for a test ride with my young (10) son as a passenger, top down and listening to the too-loud exhaust. It did go pretty well, I immediately got stopped for doing 45 in a 40 zone (shiny happy person) but when we got back, me somewhat po'd, my son got out of the car and burnt his calf on the side pipes! He's in his 40s now and he still has a large scar on his leg.

if you are planning a daily driver, DON'T get side pipes! They look and sound great but for a daily without the heat shield they are damned dangerous!

That is all.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/22/22 4:02 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to maj75 (Forum Supporter) :

Because National Carb has never steered me wrong. 

I just want to say that there should be a special place in hell for people that put oil filters on too tight.  I'm stepping away before I turn into the Hulk.

Good idea.  When they are too tight like that, I just stab them with a screwdriver through the side and turn them off that way.

Stampie
5/22/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I've destroyed the filter with several screwdriver stabs. Motherberkeleyer is still on the engine.

Stampie
5/22/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Grunion :

If I do side pipes I'm thinking of using exhaust wrap.

Stampie
5/22/22 4:58 p.m.

This is where I left off yesterday. 

I bought this from Napa today between jobs. 

This is where I left off today after it just crushed the filter. Had good grip just wouldn't turn the filter. 

My thoughts are I'm planning to do headers and oil pan soon anyway. That'll give me more room. Punt to another day. Where's my whiskey?

Mr_Asa
5/22/22 5:19 p.m.

I've found that when you get one that's stuck, the trick isn't to drive the screwdriver through, but to use it (or, more better, a cold chisel) and drive that in at an angle that allows it to spin off

Never had a screwdriver work to get one out.  :-/

Stampie
5/22/22 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I tried that some.  Hope is without the pan and headers I can get to the flange better.  That or rip it apart to the flange and then get the room I need.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/22 7:59 p.m.
Grunion said:

Early 90's at work I had a lot of time on call and a friend asked if I could fix his "L88 C2 Corvette" for him ( I thought it was a C2, ugly flip-up pneumatic headlights and a panel that popped up to cover the wipers?). Black, flares, wide tires, side pipes (Hooker) that were rusted out in the collector and a nice 4-speed with a big chrome shifter. It needed a new cam and lifters. When I went to the dealer with "I need a cam and lifters for an L88" he got all excited. Back then I had no idea why. It had an 850 carb and was definitely a big block. When I gave him the serial number, he came back with "396, hydraulic lifters, 2 bbl carb out of a Chevelle." I was disappointed that it wasn't the Unicorn engine and so was he, but not nearly as disappointed as the owner who bought it after a hard summer of commercial fishing and got taken by the guy that sold it to him.

Anyway, the point of this story is that I got it running with its new (stock) cam and lifters and took it out for a test ride with my young (10) son as a passenger, top down and listening to the too-loud exhaust. It did go pretty well, I immediately got stopped for doing 45 in a 40 zone (shiny happy person) but when we got back, me somewhat po'd, my son got out of the car and burnt his calf on the side pipes! He's in his 40s now and he still has a large scar on his leg.

if you are planning a daily driver, DON'T get side pipes! They look and sound great but for a daily without the heat shield they are damned dangerous!

That is all.

The book 'Chevrolet by the Numbers' crushed a lot of dreams when it came out in the mid '90s.  I had a '66 "427" L36 390 hp.  Or so I thought.  When I crossed the number cast into the block it came back '65 or '66 396 passenger car 2-bolt mains.  I don't think they ever broke down by the model of the car.  In other words a 396 from a Chevelle and one from an Impala could have had the same casting number.  This is true for Corvettes as well.  A base hydraulic lifter 427 that went into a Vette is indistinguishable from one that went into a 4-door station wagon (yes those exist but are rare).  The engine is stamped with the last few numbers of the VIN but that mark is much less permanent than the one cast into the block.

But I quit caring about these things long ago.  It's for the old guys with lawn chairs sitting around playing Mamas and Papa's songs talking about how they were never beaten at a stop light and managed to avoid the draft.  Not my thing.

Edit: at least it didn't cross to 366 Truck.  That would have really sucked 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
5/22/22 8:30 p.m.

Typically the trick is to get the long screw driver or whatever to go thru the other side of the filter, that way it goes thru the metal on both sides.  But it looks like that one might be a actual problem....  Good luck, you never know when a quick easy job won't be so easy.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/22 9:08 p.m.

Just noticed that this has coilovers in lieu of the buggy spring?  You know that that setup is BIG $$$ to get new.  Right?  You got one that somebody had put some coin in.

Stampie
5/22/22 9:52 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I saw enough in SKJSS's pictures asking about things on the car to say man you don't find many sugar scoop C3s with a manual trans much less with those parts.  Then when we started talking I got some of the receipts showing the suspension mods.  That's when I said yeah this is the C3 for me.  Funny thing is when I asked him how much he wanted.  I put a number in my head and said if he's at that with good birdcage I'm in.  He came back with exactly that number and confirmed the birdcage after he got back from his vacation.  After I got home with additional receipts I get a better idea of the money put into it a decade ago.  Yes it had a lot put into it.  Unfortunately it seems to have sat for that decade which SKJSS fully disclosed to me.  I just have to wake up the beast and get Dug comfortable on the street.  I'm totally good with the purchase and the $3-4k I'll put into it.

Stampie
5/23/22 7:16 p.m.

I know that this isn't for the Challenge or anything.  I also know I'd like to forget what I spend on it but let's keep track.

Oil pan, pump, pickup, gasket Kevko              $600

Carb from National Carb                                    $300

Doug's Long tube Headers                                $575

Total so far                                                            $1475

The oil pan should ship out today or tomorrow.   Same for the headers.  From my measurements that'll get everything above the bellhousing by an inch.  I also talked to a place about doing the exhaust trying to tuck it up higher.  They quoted $250ish.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/22 7:21 p.m.

I approve this message.

Getting all that stuff pulled up and retaining current-ish ride height is the way to go.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/22 8:31 p.m.

No longer relevant to this episode, but when I encounter an over tightened filter, I'll add another filter wrench (or more) to distribute the torque, trying to rotate the filter without collapsing the housing. 

You can feel when it gets ready to fold and back off before it collapses. 

Stampie
5/23/22 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Yep I went way beyond that.  I'm in I'm a redneck and I'll win territory now.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/22 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yeah, I've been there. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/23/22 10:30 p.m.
Stampie said:

The Redneck Power Ranger was always my favorite one!laugh

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/22 8:06 a.m.
Stampie said:

That didn't go well in 1865. Thankfully you're in a better position with a much more noble goal, so I have faith in you

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cSGlezDkIX6EaFijs6yT3AEWUBTDZ25I3P4KCtp2N7oM2WChohMKQmcs9b8PbJ6g