1 2 3 4
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
11/21/12 12:04 p.m.

That's pretty much what I wanted to build, but the city wouldn't let me.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/21/12 12:25 p.m.

Same here... 720sf limit without a zoning variance. Also can't put a second floor on due to height limitations.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/21/12 12:33 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Sheeting? GIANT FARADAY CAGE AWESOMENESS!

EMP-proof car storage! WINNING.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/12 2:48 p.m.

Structural construction is complete. Only thing remaining is Shingles, Siding, Trim and Overhead door. Photobucket Windows and walk door are in.

Photobucket View from the 14x20 attic room towards the lift room.

Photobucket Current view from the street.

Photobucket How it looks in the back yard.

I really like how it fits into the yard and property. The protected patio space between the garage and house will be nice and the size will be great. It is truly a substantial building.

Thanks for all the interest. I will keep updating as they finish the exterior and as my work on the interior begins.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/29/12 7:22 p.m.

Looks real good.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/2/12 9:59 a.m.

I really like this.

nocones
12/4/12 1:27 p.m.

So no pictures but the roof is finished and they are working on Siding and Trim this week. Overhead door install will be very soon. Ordered and recieved delivery of supplies to make the Retaining wall for the Driveway so once the Siding is done I will start on that and should be able to get the driveway in before the 1st of the year I hope.

nocones
12/6/12 8:35 a.m.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Siding is half done with roof complete.

Backyard Shot with Siding

The future patio area.

It's getting close now.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/6/12 7:23 p.m.

So nice

s14blane
s14blane New Reader
12/6/12 10:08 p.m.

This is looking great. Just clicked through the pages and photos and I've gotta say I'm getting jealous. Makes me wonder if I should've bought a house with a garage before I started building a car that needs a roof over it's head.....#priorites.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
12/6/12 10:52 p.m.

Can I come live in it? I bring turbo cars and a severe lack of concern for my personal safety.....

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/7/12 7:22 a.m.
s14blane wrote: This is looking great. Just clicked through the pages and photos and I've gotta say I'm getting jealous. Makes me wonder if I should've bought a house with a garage before I started building a car that needs a roof over it's head.....#priorites.

+1 Words fail to describe my jealousy.

One of the big reasons for my desire to pare down the fleet is to gather up the funds to build a shop. I have a garage and it's ok for doing short-term maintenance and repairs, but not so much for long-term builds and what-not.

nocones
12/7/12 8:44 a.m.

Thanks for the Compliments guys. I'm really excited about it.

You to could build one of your own for ~$21/sq ft doing all the labor.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
12/7/12 8:52 a.m.

Awesome. You need a kegerator

nocones
12/12/12 3:35 p.m.

Boom garage done. Only item left for the contractor is the stairs. Awesome

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
12/12/12 3:41 p.m.

Yesssssss, that is so great. There are few things as satisfying and full of promise as a new, empty garage. I bet it won't stay empty for long. Mine didn't.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/12 3:45 p.m.

Congrats! The expansion of my half-carport/half-garage into a two-car garage is ongoing 20 months after starting. Nice to see something come to fruition!

Any plans for a ceremonial first project? Or is that just trying to get tools and storage set up

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/12 3:48 p.m.

Nice. Looks good.

nocones
12/13/12 8:31 a.m.

Backyard Shot

The complex.

Now I have to get the back fill and foundation drain complete.

Does anyone know If I should slope my drains along the foundation or leave them Level then slope away as I move the water?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
12/13/12 9:54 a.m.

Slope them along the foundation. And if you really want them to work long term, don't use the perforated black stuff, as it will not hold it's shape and will hold water over time. Use perforated PVC, and make sure you have 6" of wash stone below the pipe at a minimum. I used to do a lot of this work, and can't count how many homes we worked on had plugged up black tubing. People will tell you it's fine, but that's only because there's hasn't failed yet. But it will. But I have a question. If you are talking about your garage only, why do you feel a need to have foundation drainage? I've never used it unless it was adjacent to a below ground living area.

nocones
12/13/12 10:27 a.m.

I'm Paranoid about water getting under the slab. Particularly on the Patio side as the yard naturally slopes toward the property line about 12" from the house to the property. The garage is in the middle of this slope and raised above it but water would tend to run towards the wall under the man door on the garage. I thought it might not be a bad Idea to provide a drain pipe along this wall and across the North and south (Driveway and Rear) wall of the garge to drain any water that finds it's way toward the foundation.

In your experience is this unecessary? I'm going to back fill approximately 5" up that wall and keep a good slope away from the garage creating a bit of a ditch about 7' from the garge wall for the surface water to work aroudn the garage. Would this be sufficient so I don't need to worry? Would I be wise to just put a french drain around the slab to just provide somewhere for the water to go? Should I just backfill and be done?

I will bury a pipe for the gutters but that is straightforward as I have a place I am going to run them to.

Thanks for the Input.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
12/13/12 12:32 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

I don't think it's necessary (I didn't do it for my shop) as long as you have the ground around it graded properly, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. And if you are particularly concerned about it, then considering all you've put into the project, I'd say go ahead and do it. Just make sure you have lots of gravel around the perforated pipe. The biggest mistake I see people make is not using enough, and then the pipe eventually plugs up with mud. I'm not sure what you have to work with as far as depth, but on houses with basements, we would put 12 inches of wash stone under the pipe and then back fill over it up to about 1-1/2 feet from the grade.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/13/12 6:48 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

Assuming you have the slope so this pipe runs to daylight.. You could just use perf pipe for your buried downspout pickups, and kill two birds with one stone. Regardless, put Any buried pipe in a sock, to keep it from plugging (immediately) with silt. It will plug eventually, but the sock will buy you some time.

As long as your footings are below frost depth, you don't really need a drain. The perimeter drain is typically used to keep water out of a basement. The plan you have for surface drainage, including the swale, will be fine.

If you really want to do something extra, as a precaution, bury a perf pipe (in a sock and gravel) in between the garage and the patio.. Just make sure it drains "to daylight".

If this or any other advice seems wishy washy, keep in mind.. Pipe is cheap, so overkill doesn't really have a downside.

RossD
RossD UberDork
12/17/12 4:28 p.m.

Great! Now you can pick up the Zetec and 4 speed. and your Fiero seats! Package deal!

nocones
2/13/13 11:01 p.m.

I have been slowly working in the garage. Sick of only having an extension cord I have started wireing. I got the trench dug, ground rods pounded, and garage panel installed. Tonight I got the house subpanel wired.

Ive also purchased all of my ceiling materials, insulation, and the rest of the electrical stuff. Now I just have to work on installing all of that. I got the retaining wall laid out and was ready to start and then the ground froze.. so that will resume when the ground thaws out.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dHgOTusKLiAeZ7jnaoctCYMCRAkoNBmNlkDzIhDMTOCuP6q6BagWVQrSwi5QlPat