1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/16 5:21 p.m.

photo IMG_20161001_081912015_zpspdpts3de.jpg

Oh my I push a button and the engine turns over. Ignition is done. Those fuse panels are made by busman and cost $11 each. I like them a lot. 1 is switched off the ignition and 1 is 12V off the main isolation switch. Next up is oil cooler and radiator install. Then Megasquirt and vroom.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
10/1/16 10:11 p.m.

It looks awesome. I am going to make a wheel similar to that, but like the other diy post in that thread, include a metal rim that the wood will sandwich.

Luckily, I have plenty of time to think about it as the project is currently stalled out. :(

But your wheel looks awesome!

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
10/2/16 7:32 p.m.

Car is looking great, Those fenders are gorgeous. hope to see you at Nationals next year

nocones
10/4/16 10:40 a.m.

Ok another verbal update. The last few days have been a flury of parts stores and Summit/Jegs orders. I now have "everything" I need to get it driving.

The stock oil cooler lines were in rough shape. The stock oil cooler had cracked line bosses that had been repaired previously. So I ended up buying a new plate type oil cooler and 10AN lines and fittings.
I mocked up the radiator and said damnit when I realized that the thermostat housing was 5" above the radiator cap. So I purchased an inline cap assembly for the upper radiator hose, a 13 psi cap for it and a 17psi cap for the radiator.
I also have 4 quarts of 75w-90 synthetic for the trans/diff. I bought a 3" 90* piece of aluminum tube for an intake and a cone filter.

I think that is everything. Overall spent way more time and money chasing down the piddly little parts then I should have. Parts are currently making their way to my homestead and should be here by Thursday. That gives me 10 days to final assemble and test drive before the autox on the 16th.

In actual work I have finish welded more of the exhaust and am down to the muffler section to call the exhaust done. I'm getting excited that after almost 8 years (OMG 8 years!) The finish line seems to be <2 weeks away.

nocones
10/7/16 12:51 a.m.

photo IMG_20161007_243012323_zpstky4xd9e.jpg Oil cooler is mounted, plumbed and installed. Radiator mounts are finished.

Still seem to be on target for next weekend.

nocones
10/9/16 11:02 p.m.

Brap-Brap

It's alive! Brap-Brap

I need a water pump the one I have leaks badly. I need an upper injector seal for 1 injector the one I have leaks slightly. Shockingly my oil cooler lines and fuel lines did not leak. I have a bit more work before first drive but I will have parts Tuesday and should be at the event Sunday.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/10/16 5:59 a.m.

Now, that did not take long did it? Remind me, going back to the start how long have I been following this build?

Edit:

first started following when it was on this board way back before someone's better idea was to get rid of the build thread forum. Sure glad they sobered up eventually!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/10/16 6:01 a.m.

This is fantastic news!!!

java230
java230 Dork
10/10/16 10:20 a.m.

Sweet! Cant wait to see it drive!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
10/10/16 10:46 a.m.

Most excellent.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/16 10:49 a.m.

In reply to nocones:

If that isn't a look of pure joy I don't know what is!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
10/10/16 11:13 a.m.

AWESOME !

I've been following along with you since you started your build thread over on the Locost forum. Super stoked for you, and I'm excited to hear about the first drive!

Congrats!

nocones
10/10/16 11:18 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Now, that did not take long did it? Remind me, going back to the start how long have I been following this build?

It's been in progress since fall of 2008

Damn I'm slow

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
10/10/16 11:20 a.m.

Fantastic work! Quick question since I mostly glanced at pictures - stock 13B? What's the power-to-weight gonna be like?

nocones
10/10/16 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Acme Lab Rat:

The motor is the one GRM put Megasquirt on at Petit LeMans one year. Its a Streetport 13B with Renesis rotors dynod by the previous owner at 165WHP should be ~1500lbs with driver. So ~9lbs/hp

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/16 12:15 p.m.
nocones wrote: Damn I'm slow

No, you're persistent, thorough, and dedicated - qualities I lack the correct combination of to ever have a chance in hell of completing an awesome project like this.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
10/10/16 4:57 p.m.

Im am excite

nocones
10/10/16 6:25 p.m.

Anyone have any success with adhesives to hold in trans oil?
The seam between the bellhousing and the trans is leaking at the bottom. To fix it right obviously requires a engine/trans pull. I have good access to the seam for a temporary external repair. The goal would be to have it last 2 events before winter when I planed to pull the engine anyway and do any repairs that revealed them selves. Anyone have success with this kind of repair? If I have to i will pull the motor but a short term fix seems appropriate in this instance.

Very disheartening to find the pile of fluid in the tunnel. It is only ~.5 quart so it didn't even leak it all in 24 hours so a very slow leak but it's still a show stopper.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/16 6:51 p.m.

YamaBond if you never want to get it apart again.
Can yo run a diaper of absorbent mats for the short term?

Crackers
Crackers New Reader
10/10/16 7:14 p.m.

Can you even get it decreased long enough for a patch to adhere? "The Right Stuff" by permatex would probably seal it if you can get it clean. I used it as a temp fix on an old manual steering box once.

nocones
10/11/16 12:13 a.m.

So it seems maybe false alarm. Access to the fill hole is very tight. I have a bent piece of fuel line with a hose that I squeezed the trans fluid into to fill it. In my "repair" efforts for my leak I pulled the drain plug. Despite leaking .5 quart out it was full. I think what happened was I overfilled it and since the fill hole is over the tunnel not the ground I didn't notice. So I cleaned everything good, put the fill plug back in, and watched it. No drops or seepage after 2 hours. We will see what 24 hours holds but I think it was false alarm due to putting 3 quarts in finding some leaked out and it still being full makes me think I never put 3 quarts in.

In other progress the shock reservoirs are mounted, the air filter is on, driveshaft is hooked up, diff is full of fluid. So now it's wheels on, water pump in and first drive. I am going to source a contingency clutch slave and hose as it looks like the old one may have a small leak however after 4 days it still releases the clutch so I will have parts on hand unless I get a chance to swap it before Sunday.

What an emotional rollercoaster today was with this thing.

nocones
10/12/16 5:14 p.m.

photo IMG_20161010_234932494_zpsmk2dnjdc.jpg

Cone filter and shock reservoirs.

photo IMG_20161010_234941086_zpsjoyu2srb.jpg

I've managed to keep everything electrical and brake lines oil lines etc. Relatively tidy I think. I intend to clean it up over time but for now I am satisfied.

I put the water pump on last night and have the slave cylinder and hose to repair the leak the 30 year old parts developed. So the short list has been developed and I will have status updates for the next 4 days culminating in a successful autox report with videos of runs. Unless something else starts leaking

nocones
10/13/16 5:00 p.m.

First Drive. Status: Achieved It ran, wet stuff stayed were it should, hot stuff stayed below limits, pressurized systems were pressurized appropriatly. It needs an alignment badly.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/13/16 5:08 p.m.

Was it quick?

We know you popped the throttle at least once.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/13/16 5:18 p.m.

Dude

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AMJkfNTPi5BAvnDsed2EeEXZCNT71k8LR0Orn2k23DbG2zUPD0CyUuix9zaskK9d