1 2 3 4 5 ... 27
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/31/17 7:45 p.m.

Do you have 1 or two of the retainers? I have a buddy that is a cnc machinist that does small Nd odd jobs.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
8/31/17 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: I will see if I do! I have them zip tied which you can't see but definitely looking for something more permanent!

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
8/31/17 8:02 p.m.

New shoe day. I always say wheels can make or break a car. And these sure make it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/31/17 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Norma66:

I make no promises, but he has made small batches of weird mopar E36 M3 before.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
8/31/17 11:26 p.m.

Norma got her new rocket racing wheels. And is looking fierce. Still have ride height adjustments to make but overall very happy

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/1/17 9:16 a.m.

I like the new wheels. It does need some tasteful lowering.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/1/17 9:54 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn: Its got big block springs in the front right now. We are going to fix it but it definitely has a gasser look right now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/1/17 9:54 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I like the new wheels. It does need some tasteful lowering.

About 2 inches all the way around from where i sit.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/1/17 10:06 a.m.

At this point in the project I was at a cross roads. The car looks better than I ever imagined it would. At this point from the outside it looks like a stock galaxie minus the hood ornament. The car deserves to have a great drivetrain with the awesome paint that is on the car. The drivetrain is just a hodgepodge of parts. Original motor with a 68 transmission and a locking 9 inch from a truck. I drove the car up to my buddies shop and we started making a list of mechanical stuff that needed done. I was still having issue with the car leaking some coolant and overheating. After some inspection looks like its coming from the timing cover. I only did the head gaskets when I did the first rebuild and didn't notice coolant leaking from there.

After mulling the options I decided to change mid project what I wanted to do. Current plan is to throw a stroker 390 in the car and convert to a five speed on the floor. The 390 will give me the earth moving low end torque this car needs to move it and make the car scary. I have always wanted a car that people looked at and said "thats a bad B****" Current drivetrain setup really limits the car and it will only be a cruiser. I can keep pumping money into the wrong drivetrain setup or I can just change it and get what I want.

Problem was I didn't have a 390.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/1/17 12:26 p.m.

My girlfriend has a co-worker from the area that is a collector of car parts and vehicles. Within ten hours of me asking if he knew anyone with a 390 we had one bought. 250$ was a screaming deal.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/1/17 2:02 p.m.
Norma66 wrote: Current plan is to throw a stroker 390 in the car and convert to a five speed on the floor.

This keeps getting better. Plus, a 390 looks just like a 427 in case anyone asks what's under the hood.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
9/1/17 2:07 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn: Its going to be a 446 so it will have more cubes anyway.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/1/17 2:16 p.m.

So that's just your run of the mill 390 FE? I have a very strong interest in where this is going.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/1/17 2:35 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Yes it started of life in a Mercury maruadar. Previous owner had it in his f100 until he destroyed the crank bearings. It had been sitting in a shed since 1984. I will do Fergus proud! I always wanted a big wagon like fergus.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/2/17 8:14 a.m.

This motor is a little bit different than most push rod engines I have worked on. The pushrods go through the intake which I thought was kinda odd.

Looks like it was a luxury apartment for some rats.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/2/17 1:37 p.m.

Looks like the motors never been bored. Lots of carbon build up.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/2/17 1:42 p.m.

Pickup is trashed. But the motor is ready to go to machine work.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/17 1:50 p.m.

Yes yes yeeeees

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
9/2/17 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Norma66:

Yes, the FE is a little different, a portion of the head is on the intake. In fact, the valve covers actually overlap onto the intake. I would recommend an aluminum intake, the factory cast iron weighs a bunch, at least it did on my 428 cj. I like where this is going. The wheels look good on there.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/2/17 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield: I will be doing aluminum intake and heads! Ready to get this motor going ! Motor is still getting machining done

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
9/2/17 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Norma66:

That should knock a good 100 pounds off the front end. I really miss the instant torque my big block FE.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/3/17 8:11 a.m.

bearing alignment is odd on FE's. All my research says this is normal. But sure surprised when I first saw it.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
9/3/17 8:07 p.m.

The progress with Norma has been going well. Thanks for sharing!

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/4/17 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield: what did you have your FE in?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/4/17 8:09 p.m.
Chesterfield wrote: In reply to Norma66: Yes, the FE is a little different, a portion of the head is on the intake. In fact, the valve covers actually overlap onto the intake. I would recommend an aluminum intake, the factory cast iron weighs a bunch, at least it did on my 428 cj. I like where this is going. The wheels look good on there.

One time I had to pull the heads and intake off the 352 FE in my old '65 F-100 pickup. Leaning over the radiator and yanking that intake out of the engine compartment required all the Wheaties I had for breakfast that day.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 27

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U8jK9Dq2cD1wXpJDy5RdzoLVPdtsWSEbXJKuciqxgXjZ7Blhir8IHyeHuO2ZaocQ