1 2 3 4
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/5/22 5:22 p.m.

Here we are again. An hour from home, title in hand, putting in $15 to get home. Not a big project, just doing truck stuff with some handling bolt-ons. 

1993 S10 4x2 2.5 5-speed. 181k, clean title. The fluids are full, the battery appears to be good, and the tires are holding. 

I don't think this spare is even worth having. 

Its got some dents, a bit of surface rust in the usual places, and a couple pinholes in the floor. Synchros in the even gears seem all used up but I doubt I'll ever do anything about it. The plan is to just use it as a little truck for now. Eventually I'll hit it with about 5" and some handling mods. Just grabbing a sandwich and we're on our way. Slowly. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/5/22 5:41 p.m.

Reminds me of my 91... 2.5/t5/ac/manual steering. Even as much as a rebuilt wreck it was, I liked it.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/5/22 6:33 p.m.

I have not seen a square s10 that clean in years. Good buy!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/5/22 6:50 p.m.

Repeat after me:

Tall balljoints, 5/7 drop, 275/40/17, and a 3900 v6 swap.....

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/5/22 6:53 p.m.

Love it.

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 New Reader
11/5/22 7:51 p.m.

They are fun lil truck. I miss mine after getting totaled. Nothing fast but i swap a 3.4 v6 5 speed. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
11/5/22 8:56 p.m.

Wow. These are non existent in Western Pennsylvania. Looks like a very solid truck to play with.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/5/22 9:28 p.m.

Nice. It may be slow and unrefined, but I think there's something totally endearing about a little truck that just keeps on doing little truck stuff without complaining.

Makes me happy that trucks like this still exist in some parts of the world. Kinda jealous over here in Michigan.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/22 9:37 p.m.

I never owned one, and I never really even wanted one, but I sure do miss seeing these things every day. 

Enjoy your truck. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/5/22 9:41 p.m.

Yup. It'll do. Just. 

Aside from the "service engine soon" light flashing occasionally, it didn't skip a beat. I still have the other guys plates on, so for now it's tucked away until I can register it properly. 

Anyone need a couch? I can haul it to you now. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/5/22 9:49 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Repeat after me:

Tall balljoints, 5/7 drop, 275/40/17, and a 3900 v6 swap.....

Trust me Michael knows what he is talking about.

In ran 255/40r17's though there wasn't a huge selection of 200 TW tires in 275.

barefootcyborg5000
11/5/22 10:00 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Those wheels are tasty. And I know Dusterbd knows what he's talking about. I'm on board. Maybe not with the engine swapping, but the drop and suspension mods are necessary. I plan to leave enough travel to do truck things, and that's it. Eventually. My damn drum kit is sucking up all my fun money currently. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/5/22 10:14 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/22 10:31 p.m.

I had one of these back in college. 2.8v6 though.

I think it could do indicated 87-88mph flat out. 

One time I was in the middle of nowhere "testing" the top speed and the truck got to about 80something like I said. Then it started slowing back down. Figured I'd hit some sort of limiter. 

Slowed down 5mph. Didn't accelerate again. Slowed down 10mph. Still not accelerating again. Ok, so, not a limiter.

Yes, I had run out of gas at that exact moment.

barefootcyborg5000
11/5/22 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

My red truck had an iffy fuel gauge. When I was getting close, turning left would starve the thing. GPS said the 4.3 was good for 108mph. Not that I ever drove that fast on public roads, of course. It was fun to see that needle disappear after 85..

barefootcyborg5000
11/6/22 1:08 a.m.

Kids approve

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/6/22 10:06 a.m.

We ordered the last year square body S10 Blazer  we loved that truck and drove it around the country except that gauge design sucked - looks stupid .  Back then the option choice was endless - spare tire inside and not hanging on the tailgate.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/6/22 7:15 p.m.

A relatively rust free, short box, squarebody S10? Awesome! Do truck stuff with it, and after you get bored, do motorsports stuff while still being able to do truck stuff! Win/Win!

barefootcyborg5000
11/6/22 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

That's the idea. 

A couple things so far:
1-Exhause leak. Maybe multiple, but the manifold flange at 1 is only held on by one fastener. Problem. 
2-oil leak. Right about where the drain plug is. The valve cover looks pretty soggy too. 
3-Fluids look great. The radiator is a replacement, and the juice is full and clean. The oil was full and fresh. 
4-Drivers side of the seat is pretty bad. It's collapsed in a rather uncomfortable way. I'd like to redo the whole interior, fix the floor properly, insulate and carpet. Replace the dash pad or at least cover it. Rebuild the bench, redo the headliner. 
5- drivers outside handle is predictably broken. 
6-brakes are touchy. Not sure why. 
7-Alignment is questionable, bad outside wear on the right. Sloppy highway manners. Control arms and ball joints should sort that. Possibly all the links and rods, the stuff is cheap enough.  Dampers actually all feel pretty good. 
8- evap leak, cat deleted. Smells like fuel and 1960. I may get a wild hair and put a cheap catalyst. Find the vent lines and build at least a charcoal filter. Emissions is a new chance to learn. And while we don't have testing here, I don't want a stinky truck. 

I need to call my Insurance guy and get out to the dmv for plates. Unfortunately may need to wait until after the holidays. For now I need to get a pan under it so I don't stain the floor I don't own. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/7/22 6:27 a.m.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/7/22 12:45 p.m.

I'd be concerned that spare may not even be the correct bolt pattern .

Overall, looks like you got a great deal on a no-no sense mini truck there.

barefootcyborg5000
11/7/22 1:11 p.m.

For future reference

Drop kit

would be accompanied by 

Speedway UCAs

and Proforged tall ball joints from summit. 
It's a lot to swallow at once, but I can be patient and save. At least until tax season. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/11/22 11:04 p.m.

Earning its keep. Community yard sale tomorrow. I'm not keeping this couch for another second. If someone takes it in the night, I'll thank them. 

achievement unlocked:

perform truck stuff. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/12/22 5:59 p.m.

I should note, after using the thing to haul two loads of furniture, the iron Duke is indeed a fine truck lump. Code says 3.73 rear end, and an engine designed for low rpm torque, it's a very satisfactory recipe. Not remotely sporty, not even when compared to my 4.3 nv3500 equipped 1990. But it'll do. It'll do just fine. 

barefootcyborg5000
12/9/22 3:40 p.m.

Wife says her breaks are squealing in the 5. I drive it. They are not squealing, they are grinding. Badly. Parts acquired, can't install until tomorrow. Don't drive the van. Take the biscuit, I'll drive the truck. 

Achievement unlocked:

flawless commuter

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GJGWvmQ7Hhyt2Ow68nxQYWogxO3WMZupw0Td2Yi25SqHzJnpwKpLAEawJkxcfbxv