1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/21/21 9:10 a.m.
docwyte said:

Financially it'd make no sense, I'd never get my money out of it...  I wonder if WyoTech would do it and how much they'd charge.  Then what sort of result I'd get back...

I think you've got your answer right there.  If it a "forever" car, go ahead and do it with the knowledge that if you sell one day you won't recoup for the paint job.  If you're on the fence, have the quarter done and live with that green until you move the car on. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/21/21 1:03 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

I drove it to work today and do enjoy it.  Enough to spend the money to do a complete color change respray?  I guess that depends on cost.  I'm waiting to hear back from my body shop to see what they'd charge and I'm going to reach out to the local Lincoln Tech school to see if they take on cars like this for their students to do and see what that would cost as well.  Since I don't use it the entire winter they could have it for half the Fall semester and most of the Spring semester to get it done...

Edit: Called Lincoln Tech and they aren't painting cars for people right now.  Not sure why not, but that's a non starter.  I suspect the cost from my body shop to respray the car and do a color change will be prohibitively expensive...

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/21/21 2:15 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Yeah....  Well these could be the next air cooled 911 or Microbus as far as collectible value in the future so who knows?  Either way you'll get to enjoy the car so it's a win.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/21/21 2:35 p.m.

Heard back from my body shop.  Bear in mind that they do multi million dollar Porsche restorations, mostly.  They also do standard collision stuff and have worked on my previous cars when they had hail damage, etc but their money is mostly the big dollar restorations.

As I suspected, having them repaint the car and do a color change isn't worth it, it'd cost more than what I paid for the car.  Hagerty has pegged these as the "next thing" in cars to appreciate and factory color always does better than a color change.  Whether that really matters on a VW like this vs a Ferrari I don't think so, nobody would ding the value of the car if it was audi Nogaro Blue for instance.

That said, I'm not going to spend more on the paint job than what I paid for the car, that just doesn't make sense to me.  So I'll have the quarter repainted, the red pin stripe removed and I'm also going to have them remove the black side molding.  Then once the paint has cured I'll do a paint correction and ceramic coating.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
9/21/21 2:50 p.m.

I think removing the red stripe alone will do wonders for the look of the car. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/22/21 8:49 a.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

Yep, I agree.  Red on a dark green car just doesn't match at all.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/23/21 8:21 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

My friend posted pics of the dark burgundy corrado I almost bought from the same seller.  Ugh, it looks great!  My brain got in the way on that one, the car has 165k miles, multiple accidents on the carfax and needs a full respray.  Between all that and the $2k it was going to cost to get it out to me my brain screamed at me, "You'll be into it for too much $$!" and I backed away from it.

Logically, yes, all that was true, however I do really love the way it looks in that dark burgundy color.  My car is the better car both in mileage, carfax, interior, etc.  I'll have to paint correct it after the shop fixes the rear quarter and see how it looks...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/23/21 8:55 a.m.

Dark green with bronze wheels would look amazing. Especially with 20% window tint. 

Are you getting the plate holes in the front bumper fixed, or are you happy with the fender liner fill plugs i suggested?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/23/21 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'm probably going to refinish the centers of the BBS wheels gold/bronze.  I do think that'll look nice.  I generally tint the windows on all my cars.  I'm debating doing it to this car, it has the stock VW radio stickers on both front side windows that I think it kinda vintage cool.  Not sure if the tint place can somehow save them/leave them in place

The body shop is going to paint plugs to match for those plate holes.  Hopefully that blends in well and looks ok...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/23/21 4:22 p.m.

I'm waiting for USPS to deliver two packages to me.  One is my repaired VW Corrado European headlight housings, which are unobtainium.  They were supposed to be delivered this past Monday.  No tracking on them other then they were dropped off and no note other than they're going to be delivered late and they're on their way.  What's even more awesome is the vendor is ignoring me, so hopefully USPS comes through and does deliver them.

Then the Ford working vacuum actuator that another GRMer sent me as supposed to arrive today.  Yup, same thing, track it and nothing other than it getting dropped off initially and a note saying that it's gonna be late but they're on their way.

Sweet.  I've started sending things exclusively with UPS and think I'm going to have insist that unobtanium parts get sent to me the same way, UPS only.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/23/21 9:10 p.m.

As much as I am not a green fan it beats red. There was a nicer green in 94 dragon green pearl maybe? Easier to go with green even if there is a shift the jambs and bay can stay. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/24/21 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I think a harlequin would be cool.  And it wouldn't matter what color the door jambs were...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/24/21 4:29 p.m.

OK, time to check the Schrick controller box.  It's tucked behind the center console, here...

Open it up with 4 phillips head screws and you can see the 8 dip switches

Checked them against the table, they were in the 4000 rpm switch over, I thought about changing it to 4100 rpm, but left it alone.  In this pic I've got the dip switches set for 4100 rpm.

Before I put the box away I checked to make sure the light was green when the car was running and turned red at 4000 rpm.  It did.  So I buttoned the interior back up and started the car and went to the engine bay.  Where I blipped the throttle and saw the actuator open the flap.  Woot!!

Ok, next up is buying a sheet of 1/8" aluminum so I can cut out my template for the intake heat shield and install it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/1/21 12:31 p.m.

For whatever reason the straps that hold the rear parcel shelf up are missing on my car.  Of course they're no longer available, so I went on eBay and bought some straps meant for a Mk6 GTi, since they're adjustable for length.

A quick query on a Corrado group got me the length (about 12") and I went to town.  So much happier now that it comes up on it's own!

I also installed my black rear VW emblem and my license plates showed up!

It's going to the body shop for some paint work in a few weeks, I'm not sure I'm going to do anymore work to it until after I get it back.

In other news I finally got my headlights back from the plastics guy, USPS took over 2 weeks to get them to me.  My excitement was tempered when I opened them up and found that USPS had broken the glass lens on one of them.  Argh!!!  I KNEW I should've taken the lenses off and kept them!  These are freaking *impossible* to find, either used or new.

An eBay search has just found me UK G60 lens, which aren't the right ones and have the wrong beam pattern.  Ironically I already needed one of these lenses, so now I need two!  The plastics guy did insure them and after a discussion with him he sent me half the money, with the rest to come when USPS pays out, or at least when we find out what USPS is going to do.

I have found one lens from a friend but I still need one more.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/22/21 4:38 p.m.

Well, dropped the car off at the body shop this morning.  They're going to paint the rear drivers quarter panel to match the rest of the car, remove the red pin stripe, remove the black door molding, put in paint matched plugs in the front license plate holes in the front bumper, have a locksmith rekey the ignition to match the rest of the car, have their welder weld on the stock exhaust tip I brought and lastly clearance the hood support for the Schrick intake manifold.

That'll knock a ton of things off the punch list, after that it's really just install the Shine Racing springs and bilstein sports, get an alignment and decide if I want to install the autotech front stress bar and Shine Racing rear swaybar.  Then see how long I want to keep the car.

Nostalgia is an interesting thing...

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
10/23/21 2:31 p.m.

I'm partial to the green, glad you are keeping it, my favorite other than the 94' Bramble Mettallic.

First one, 1993

Second one, 1994 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/23/21 4:17 p.m.

In reply to TheWraith :

I love bramble and considered repainting the car that color.  However the cost to do so is just too high.  I remember seeing a bramble corrado for sale in 99 while I was still in school.  I couldn't find a salesman and didn't really have the money to buy it, so let it go away...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/5/21 2:37 p.m.

So that green corrado sold on BaT for $25, 650!  With buyers fee that's $28k.  Wow, I need to increase the coverage on mine, that's a ton of money for a car with 90k miles that wasn't really anything special.

Anyways, I still haven't gotten all the money from the plastics guy, USPS has my headlight stuff and hasn't given a decision yet.  I'm getting impatient with the plastics guy, he's the vendor and he should be making me whole.

I'd ordered a passenger headlight from eBay UK because the lens was good and the housing looked good.  Showed up today and the reflector mount is broken off the housing.  Argh!!!

So I've requested a return from the seller on eBay.  Actually what I requested was another unbroken housing.  Waiting to hear their response.  This has really turned into a shizz show.

TAC_Rx
TAC_Rx New Reader
11/5/21 6:55 p.m.

I totally get wanting one in pristine condition but that looks pretty fixable with some decent plastic epoxy? Maybe if the seller would do a partial refund or something? 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/6/21 11:35 a.m.

In reply to TAC_Rx :

Well, I didn't pay for a broken part.  So regardless of whether I can glue it back together I want what I paid for.

So preferably an undamaged housing or my money back.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/25/21 9:58 a.m.

Update!  The seller of the headlight was dragging his feet in giving me a refund and covering shipping costs.  Wanted me to send it back first and then he'd refund it.  eBay stepped in and refunded my money.  I offered to send the parts back to the seller but again, he didn't want to send me the money to pay for shipping.  Well ok then until you do that I guess these are mine.  I'll see if I can JB Weld epoxy that mount back on the housing.

In other news I got the car back yesterday from the shop.  It looks great!  They had a locksmith come out and he matched all the other lock cylinders to the ignition (it was sealed, so he couldn't just do it, of course) and now the car only needs one key again.  Score.  Tomorrow I'm taking it to a friends shop who TIG welds and he's going to put the stock exhaust tip on.

After that I need to install the VX Tuning fog light lens to replace the cracked stock ones and do a little clean up work on the chassis to match the factory undercoating with the black stuff that's been put on.  I'll also probably clean up the brake calipers and hit them with some silver paint.

After that it's decision time.  I bought this as a nostalgia purchase and a new project.  Now that I've basically taken care of it project wise I need to decide if I want to keep it or not.  I may list it on Bring a Trailer, I have had some private interest in it as well.  I don't see this car being a long term keeper like my 996.  I got a call from a guy who saw it at the shop but either he doesn't know what these are worth or he thought I don't know what these are worth.  I offered it to him for substantially less (like many thousands less) than I think it would sell on BaT and he didn't want it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/10/21 5:38 p.m.

Made it over to my friends shop and he tig welded the stock exhaust tip onto the techtonics/borla exhaust.  Still needs a little bit of work, his lift wasn't free so I either need to bring him the car when it is, or remove the muffler and bring that to him so he can complete the weld job.

Still, it made a huge difference in the look of the car.  Here's what I started with, don't know why Techtonics doesn't offer any tip options, but it was just a bare piece of pipe.

Here it is with the stock exhaust tip on.  So much better looking!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/10/21 5:46 p.m.

OK, so I need some help with my decision on keeping this car.  As I mentioned, it's a nostalgia purchase for me, I owned one 20 years ago when I was active duty and have kinda been wanting another one for years.  It's a nice car and drives well, but definitely drives like an older car.  It's not a fair comparison but the R makes 450hp and the corrado makes 210hp, so it's quite a bit slower, doesn't have the turbo torque, all that.

I bought this one because it'd been 100% mechanically restored and has the super rare Canadian/European recaro interior, along with all the other OEM+ mods.  I'm not a huge fan of the green color but it's been growing on me.  However this is a totally extraneous car for me and doesn't really fit a purpose in my garage.  What I mean is that I have the R as my daily driver, the 996 as the fun car, what I could really use is a pick up truck to haul stuff and act as another winter driver. 

I've got a guy who's interested in buying the car, wants me to take it in for a PPI.  We've agreed on a price, which I'm ok with, although I think I'm really giving him a smoking deal.  I know it'd sell for thousands more on Bring a Trailer if I cleaned it up a bit. 

I'm just not sure if I have this car out of my system yet.  If I sell it I know I won't find another one like it.  At the same time I don't really need it or could use it like I could a pick up truck.  Although my use case for a pick up truck is pretty limited as well...

Ugh, not sure what to do.....

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/10/21 5:49 p.m.

I say BAT it and enjoy the Porsche as a fun car. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
12/10/21 6:50 p.m.

Personally, I'd hold onto it a little longer, enjoy the nostalgia, take it to a few meets, then sell it on BAT. I'd get it out of my system first, otherwise I might regret selling it so soon. It's a cool car (that looks a million times better without the stripes, BTW). 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RkZvrp1CVXyy98oxKvzeonDbCUgr9i9QzKLYFJ5fqhIufusMYnyhrOFwC5KpNIfp