1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/22 11:06 a.m.

You might want to check the current draw on the brake light switch with your two extra bulbs.

I used to have a 1968 Cougar and the sequential turn signals and brake did not work properly.

I did a quick re-wire for inspection that had all three lamps on one side to  come on for turn signals or all six bulbs come on for brake lights.  I thought all was good.  It passed inspection.

I would burn through brake light switches about every two months.   

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/2/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

No need to.  This is a common mod on the corrado, it's where VW had the rear fog lights installed in RoW cars.  So the wiring etc is more than robust enough to handle the current draw as brake lights

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/2/22 3:48 p.m.

Received my new Spoonfed extended rear wing.  Mocked it up today.

Here it is vs stock, you can see how much bigger the Spoonfed wing is

Here it is on the car, lowered position

And with it raised

I like the look, need to get it painted.  My usual shop quoted me $350, which seems a bit high.  On the other hand they do good work and it's probably not worth trying to save $100 to deal with another shop

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/22 4:11 p.m.

That wing looks really good!

$350 seems steep but like you said, if you know them and they do good work its worth it. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/3/22 12:58 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

There's another body shop near my office I've used in the past.  I may see how much they want, but I'm inclined to just deal with the shop I know....

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/9/22 11:19 a.m.

So after three rounds of brake bleeding by the shop, the pedal feel is finally normal.  Sweet!

I also received a Blaupunkt Bremen from Crutchfield.  Need to wire up the harness and it should be plug n play.  Excited about this, it'll match the dash properly and is Bluetooth streaming, hands free phone and has an SD slot

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/15/22 6:50 p.m.

So I want to add a more modern stereo to this car.  Something with Bluetooth streaming and hands free calling but won't look out of place.

For me, there's only one choice, the Blaupunkt Bremen.  I found a brand new one on eBay for a great price and bought it. Of course the price was too great and the seller disappeared and 3 months later eBay refunded my money.

Luckily at that point crutchfield had it in stock, so I bought it from them.  They included all the harnesses, adapters and radio removal tools.

Today I did all the wiring, so soldered and heat shrink the harnesses to make it plug n play.

My soldering has gotten decent now, tinning the tip of the iron helps a ton.

This weekend I'll try to install it all.  Will run the phone mic up the drivers A pillar and the digital radio antenna up the passenger A pillar

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/16/22 12:21 p.m.

You have a Denver-area VW mechanic you'd recommend?  Our local place fell apart when the manager retired.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/16/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Where in town are you?  South side of town I'd go to Hardey's Motorwerks, north side of town either BlueWater or Berg Performance

TVR Scott
4/16/22 2:17 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I'm right near DU.  Off of Colorado & I-25.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/16/22 2:33 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

You're maybe ten minutes from my office.  I'm right on the other side of I25 off Evans.  So from there none of the shops are really close, just pick which direction you'd like to drive

TVR Scott
4/16/22 7:23 p.m.

Yeah you're definitely a neighbor. I'm off Yale just west of Colorado.

Those shops are indeed not very convenient, but I'll make some calls.  Thanks for the recommendations.

The Corrado is looking awesome, btw!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/17/22 11:21 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

There used to be a great shop off Evans and Sante Fe but they recently closed.  Sucks, they were my go to place in town.

Thanks, I need to wash it!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/8/22 1:40 p.m.

Finally got a chance to wash the corrado, looks good.  I still need to paint correct it tho, just don't have the time.  One thing I noticed driving the car was that the wipers aren't really contacting the windshield well, which makes it hard to see while driving in the rain.  It's a known issue with the corrado's, apparently the springs in the wiper arms get tired.  Of course you can't buy the wiper arms anymore but someone figured out that the Mk1 Audi TT drivers side wiper arm is a direct swap.  So you buy two of those and you're all set. They came in two styles, J hook like the stock corrado ones and pin style.  The J hook ones are also NLA, which leave the pin style ones.  I found them listed on eBay from a seller in Latvia, brand new for half the price here in the USA. 

Score!  Bought two of them, along with the proper wiper blades and the wiper blade puller tool.  Waited three weeks and they arrived yesterday.  Here's what the box looked like when I got it

See that hole?  Somehow both wiper arms fell out through that hole.  There was nothing in the box but a small piece of foam.  Great.  So I called eBay and explained it to them, said I'd love another set of these.  They've reached out to the seller and I'm waiting to hear back from them.  I did send pics of the box to the seller so he knows what happened.  I'd really like to get a set of these arms and having to wait another 3 weeks (if the seller decides to send me another set vs refunding me) kinda stinks.  Oh well...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/20/22 6:12 p.m.

Snowy day here so I made it a garage day.  Finally got around to replacing the cracked fog light lens.  This is what they looked like to start

I tried to finesse the lens off using a heat gun and a utility knife but that didn't work.  Time to go Hulk Smash on this thing.  Grabbed a hammer and broke out the lens, the laminix held most of the pieces in place.  Then I used a really thin screwdriver to get underneath the glue and needle nose pliers to pull out the rest of the glass.  Then I cleaned up all the old glue.

Now I put down a good bead of 3M Marine Grade clear silicone and pushed the new VX Tuning lens into place.

Rinse, lather, repeat and both are done.

''

I'll wait till tomorrow for the silicone to cure, then I'll put on the laminix and reinstall them. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/20/22 8:06 p.m.

Ok, I got impatient.  Silicone is cured enough to put on the laminx and install them.  They look good!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/9/22 11:02 a.m.

Well, it was a difficult decision but I've decided to let this one go.  It's on BaT right now...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-volkswagen-corrado-slc-11/

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/9/22 11:07 a.m.

dang.. this is gonna go for quite a bit... whats the plans for the next project?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/9/22 11:16 a.m.

I think you made the right decision. For me I don't like to spend enormous amounts of time hunting down parts. GLWS!

TVR Scott
6/9/22 11:16 a.m.

Car looks great.  Good luck!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/9/22 11:30 a.m.
docwyte said:

Well, it was a difficult decision but I've decided to let this one go.  It's on BaT right now...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-volkswagen-corrado-slc-11/

So, im interested in watching this. I have one that may be doing the same. 

What are your value thoughts about stock vs period mods? Think it would value higher one way or the other?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/9/22 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

In general, the more stock the car is the better it'll do.  I actually removed some of the parts from this car to make it look more stock...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/11/22 5:01 p.m.

One commenter on BaT predicted $30k. Watching this for fun - I hope you get a couple bidders fighting over it. 

What's going to take the place in the garage once this sells?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/12/22 10:46 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I saw that, while that'd be *awesome* I think that's optimistic.  I'm showing the car to three people today that saw it on BaT, so hopefully they bid.  Another person I know reached out to me and told me he wants it too, so I'm pretty sure he's lurking in the background and will start bidding on the last day.

Honestly I don't know if I'll replace it with anything right now.  One of the main reasons I'm selling it is due to a space issue.  I can just barely fit 4 cars in the garage, one has to be up on the lift.  Whatever is up on the lift simply doesn't get used.  Since the corrado fits in the spot on the garage floor better than the 911 does, the 911 was up on the lift.  Between the two cars I'd rather drive the 911.  So if I buy another car, the same thing will happen. 

That doesn't mean I won't be able to help myself if something really interesting pops up but I'm really going to try to not replace it.  This'll give me the space to pull the motor out of the 911 this off season to fix the coolant pipes etc as well as let my KTM sleep the winter out inside the garage...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/16/22 2:59 p.m.

Well it sold, for nowhere near what I thought it would.  Honestly the least amount I thought this would go for was $18-19k and really thought it'd be somewhere around $22-25k.  Guy I know was in the mix at the end, I was hoping he'd get it as he was also going to buy a lot of the parts I have but in the end, he didn't win.

I've spoken with the buyer, seems like a nice guy and the car is going to a good person.  I'm waiting for the money wire to come through and then I'll FedEx him the paper work and a set of keys.  I'm going to email him a list of what's in my parts stash and see if he's interested in any of it.

He's currently working out whether he'll do a fly and drive with it or have it shipped.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AvkH0MNhvTSke7YowYLhYfZlJFrKTkP7QaZFmDvmLgvBFySMOOIJEIrCHwZ7s04s