1 2 3 4
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/4/21 8:19 p.m.

So for no good reason I bought a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R.  In typical GRM fashion I am starting the build thread before I have even seen the car in person.

I have owned several of these over the years and I recently sold its close cousin the NX2000 to a fellow GRM'er.

I have been casually looking for a few weeks and recently bid on a red one on BAT.  After I lost the auction I looked on the SR20 forum and found the car I ultimately purchased.

The car is being sold by an enthusiast who has also owned several.  Its in New Mexico and other than baked paint is in good shape.

It has a header. Strut tower bars and agx shocks.  It has a set of 15 inch B14 200sx SE-R wheels.

I ended up getting the car for $3,000.00.  It has 126k miles.  Given the rarity of these things lately I am happy with the deal.  Now I just need to get it shipped...

Not sure about the gauge pods on the dashboard, seller said they were on the car when he bought it 4 years ago.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/21 8:26 p.m.

An SR20 B13 will pull a premium a week before Race Wars.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/21 8:39 p.m.

I've always thought about these as a good dual purpose autocross and driver. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/21 9:14 p.m.

I dig that Mexico made the B13 into 2017s as the Tsuru. I imagine you can still get parts from down there. Rust free parts.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/21 9:33 p.m.

Dibs when you eventually put it up for sale! smiley

ccrelan (Forum Supporter)
ccrelan (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/5/21 5:55 a.m.

Interesting dash modification.  Never seen that one before...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/5/21 8:28 a.m.

Why the need for 5 auxiliary gauges?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/5/21 9:50 a.m.

Congrats! I still miss mine.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/5/21 9:50 a.m.

The gauge pods are "unique" but I'll bet the reason for it was that it looks like an aftermarket replacement dash pad. In New Mexico, I'll bet it hard to find a not cracked dash pad. 

I notice that there appears to be no gauges inserted. This is the reason I figure it was bought not for the ability to put in gauges. 

I admire the crack free dash pad. 

That looks like an aluminum shift knob.  OMG, I'll bet that is like "burn your hand" hot in New Mexico!  

I also admire the "period correct" Sony cassette headunit!  Looks like there are some aftermarket tweeters installed in the doors but they look to be well done.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/5/21 10:10 a.m.

At the bottom of this picture there appears to be both a red wire and a black wire attached to the strut tower.  I get the black being a possible ground wire but what do you think of the red wire?  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/5/21 10:15 a.m.

I saw that BAT Sentra.  It was nice.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/5/21 10:58 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I am willing to bet it is grounded to the engine.  It was a common practice back in the day to "re-ground" the MAF on these cars.  I am hoping some previous owner just took it to extreme.

As far as the dashpad is concerned, I am not a fan.  Up until recently traditional dash caps were not available for the B13 chassis and this must have been the best option available at the time, given that uncracked dashboards were probably not thick on the ground in junkyards in New Mexico.  I will keep an eye out for a decent dash or pick up a less ridiculous  dashcap to replace it with.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/5/21 10:44 p.m.

Same color as the one I had back in the day, great car - EXCEPT for the common jumping-out-of=5yh-gear problem that Nissan never issued a recall for. . .

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/6/21 6:47 a.m.

Just slap a couple of non-functional vents in those gauge pod holes and you're good to go.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
8/6/21 7:21 a.m.

Nice!

I had a 1.6 B13 a while back that I had done up pretty much the same as Skinny G's Sinister Sentra.  Super fun cars.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/21 10:20 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Just slap a couple of non-functional vents in those gauge pod holes and you're good to go.

I agree, I don't hate the pods themselves but more thinking what gauge or function can they do.   I'm more wondering how the right hand one can be retro fitted to maybe be a magnetic phone mount.  Mounting there might be condusive for use as a lap timer/video.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/6/21 2:23 p.m.

Cool--congrats. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/9/21 9:34 p.m.

It is officially on its way.

secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/21 9:02 p.m.

It's been 6 days. Has it landed yet? 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 9:18 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

I have been told it will be here tomorrow.  Fingers crossed laugh

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/16/21 2:23 p.m.

So looks like tomorrow is the day...

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 6:36 p.m.

The car arrived, in the rain of course.

I took it for a short drive.  It runs smoothly and shifts well.  Needs an alignment.  Interior could use a thorough cleaning.  Paint is super faded as i expected.  I jacked it up and the undercarriage looks like it came from new Mexico ie; no rust.

In a nice suprise it has a nice aluminum radiator, a 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust and AGX adjustable shocks.

Overall it was exactly what I was expecting.   I need to get it home to figure out what it needs first.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/21 6:58 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Is it going to need a repaint or a good buffing?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 7:00 p.m.

A repaint for sure.  The roof paint is almost entirely gone.  

secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/21 7:36 p.m.

Glad to see it arrived and was pretty much what you expected.  smiley

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m6WOYq6189KYBylf8MnN48JFzx7y5pZZWIjjgBClCytFrlsXNANegYWmMh8cME7a