1 ... 8 9 10
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/20 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Dammit :

I hope you got more than just what's in that pic!

Dammit
Dammit Reader
3/6/20 4:25 p.m.

We got three sets plus some spares, retainers, collets etc etc. Works out to $2k/engine, which sitting here with what amounts to a big stack of parts in various boxes does feel expensive, but the modeling we've done shows a 10% increase in flow with the larger valves - which if confirmed by the flow bench will make it well worth it.

ttt123
ttt123 New Reader
3/7/20 5:06 a.m.

Very interesting project. Thanks for sharing 

Dammit
Dammit Reader
4/8/20 1:25 p.m.

The dual stage scavenge that you can buy from Porsche runs backwards (for a 911) so we made our own:

And here's why:

https://youtu.be/5i_EDjK7p8I

Video by my partner on the engine project.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
4/14/20 9:29 a.m.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/3/20 4:27 p.m.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/3/20 4:28 p.m.

Not 100% happy with the embossed logo, but maybe that will settle a little as the leather goes through some heat cycles, but it looks a lot less like I just bolted a Recaro race seat into the car.

neverendingprojectgarage
neverendingprojectgarage New Reader
7/13/20 6:36 p.m.

I agree that the embossed logo is a touch aggressive-looking, but it should be nice once it wears in. The overall interior is looking fantastic! To me it has the "feel" of an 80s air-cooled 911 in the interior now.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/17/20 12:59 p.m.

I went to Fearnsport this morning, where Matt made me a very nice coffee - and had this convenient F40 LM coffee table to put my cup on:

The F40 has been rebuilt so comprehensively that my wallet jumped out of my pocket and fled due to sheer proximity-anxiety.

There was also Martin's (the chap who I'm working with on the 996 engine project) 1,100 brake horsepower turbo engine, waiting for a fuel sensor before it goes back into the car:

Anyway, the reason I was there:

Up!

And to work:

Turning this:

Into this:

Without breaking the paint, which was a big weight off my mind when completed.

Plenty of room for an 11" rear wheel in here now:

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
7/18/20 9:54 a.m.

I should really roll the fenders of mine at some point...

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/18/20 12:26 p.m.

Annoyingly on the same day that I got my guards rolled BBS went bust: https://motorillustrated.com/bbs-wheels-declares-bankruptcy/53187/?fbclid=IwAR0yHZTemVV5rMBvq-PV7WXdBVay43fFxi7idRBaKls5wMzCRfFXQu3AfeU

Hopefully a) BBS makes it out of bankruptcy and b) I get my LM's!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
7/18/20 2:52 p.m.

In reply to Dammit :

I'd be shocked if they don't.  They supply wheels to tons of OEM's...

nsogiba
nsogiba New Reader
7/24/20 10:54 a.m.

The LMs are going to look great on your car. Glad you're doing all this work to a Cabriolet, they don't get enough love and are an underappreciated member of the 996 family.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/25/20 2:17 a.m.

Thanks- it's interesting how people react when they see the car he no food. Now if I told people it was a Speedster I suspect I'd get a different reaction. 

In other news we're going a different route with the intake (and possibly the exhaust, following a conversation with the guy who made the exhaust for that F40), we're looking at having ITB's made specifically for our engines, as the slight curve on the E46 M3 ones is making packaging a headache. We also have some ideas similar in concept to VarioRam, watch this space for progress. 

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/25/20 9:18 a.m.

Ok, if anyone reads this thread who knows about gearboxes, I would very much like to hear from you. 

We need to change the ratios as the existing ones are two long, and we also need to tighten up the gap between ratios so you are not dropped below for e.g. 4,000* rpm when you shift up. 

We can get gearsets from either Albins (Oz) or Guard (USA), but these boxes are non-trivial to rebuild and can only be rebuilt ~3 times in total. 

Are there any options that anyone can think of? G96.50 doesn't work for this as the input shaft is too short. 

*Or whatever the engine Dyno tells us

Dammit
Dammit Reader
9/6/20 12:52 p.m.

Remember that I ordered some BBS LM's in September last year? Well, 50% of them have now arrived - that's right, BBS in Japan put only the rear wheels in the shipping container. The company I ordered them through is now attempting to get BBS Japan to send the front wheels over, but BBS won't air freight them, so the company is looking at doing so at their own expense. Will Dammit have his wheels by Christmas? Who knows!

In other news, we made some revisions to our dual stage oil acavenge pump, as the original was slightly off in terms of where the inlet pipe fitted. Old at the top, new at the bottom:

The hand in the picture belongs to my partner in crime, my pump arrives tomorrow:

And the new one in place:

Martin has recorded a short Youtube video on the oil scavenge system of the Mezger, the M96, and the X51 varient of the M96 (which our pump is a version of), if anyone of you chaps is interested: 

https://youtu.be/X7Lxrj6yYro

Dammit
Dammit Reader
9/6/20 2:25 p.m.

In other, other news, the C55 is at DynoTorque, and I wanted to ride, so - obtain one blanket, some string:

Put the roof down and boom:

Like a glove:

And at the other end:

For the return I managed to be a bit neater:

Which meant that I could close the roof:

I think I need to buy a van.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/6/20 3:10 p.m.

You didn't want to put on the wacky roof rack?

Dammit
Dammit Reader
9/6/20 4:02 p.m.

Being a genius I left the roof rack on the C55 when I dropped it off. D'oh!

jasonsaini
jasonsaini
1/12/21 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Dammit :

Hey there, hope your build is still progressing - thanks for all the great updates, watched all of Martin's vids as well. We're in the middle of a very high spec build narrow body C2 that has a ton of suspension development and a stock 3.6 that's been upgraded with bolt-ons. With the amount of grip this car is going to have, we do not want to take a chance and would like to install the scavenge pump solution you guys are developing. I know you're still collecting test miles, but we would like to purchase one as soon as possible.

I'm also struggling to find the part number for the oil tube, I'd like to modify our valve cover for it while the engine is out so we can install the scavenge pump in the car once it's available.

I've left a message on Martin's Youtube channel, but haven't heard back. Can you let me know the best way to get an official order in for one of the first available?

Thanks again for sharing your build!

Vikingo
Vikingo New Reader
9/14/21 4:23 a.m.

What a marbles project!

I found it and read it in one loop...

1 ... 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xv1e4TN1zb4kfJtxNnPVr3x6Qy2m6T4OaKDWbJ3c9bKNWQbwmXe8jjYbq1LtGvOu