1 2 3 4
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/3/22 1:17 p.m.

Voyager spent the night docked indoors at the Star Base.... I had it jacked up real high so I could crawl under and evaluate the catalytic converter (more accurately, evaluate the scabbed in straight pipe that's leaking).

After I pulled it out of the dock, it has marked it's territory with this troubling spot:

Smells like oil & or gear lube

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/3/22 1:48 p.m.

Fast forward a few days to star date 4_2 point 22 and I'm rotating the Bald front tires to the rear and discovered the source of the leak:

I must have blown out the strut when I jacked it up.

So put new struts on the list of repairs needed.  (Along with tires and an alignment)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/3/22 2:34 p.m.

Sucks. I bought loaded Gabriels via RockAuto for $100 each.  Rock has cheaper unloaded too. 

Look at Amazon too. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/9/22 2:06 p.m.

I decided not to give Bezo's my money, so I bought this one off of the bay of flees:

Also bought this cheapy O2 sensor.  Let's see how this works out.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/9/22 2:10 p.m.

The impulse power on Voyager helped yield these efficiency results:

43 mpg for the first 300 miles.  NICE ! !

yes

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/9/22 3:08 p.m.

So, the mpgs are right on target even w/o a cat or 02 sensor. That's good to know! 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/9/22 5:59 p.m.

If you put the wrong Catalyst converter on your car ,but it's a real OEM converter

is there anyway for the cars computer to know that it came off a Ford etc?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/22 6:07 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I don't know if they customize the converter to each engine but the only sensor that could would be the rear O2 sensor.  Would it show different levels of different gases?

garaithon
garaithon Reader
4/10/22 2:37 p.m.

Its hard to believe you have one driving! Great choice on the Prius! I considered one briefly on my last hunt for the family DD. I feel you on the fuel prices, I love my fleet of V8s but have been driving them a lot less. Have fun!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/23/22 11:45 a.m.

Prius, suplimental Log:

Converter and O2 sensor arrived, and I got the Voyager up on jack stands and started on the work: proceeded to get crap in my eye and just didn't want to finish it.  (Bolts are rusty of course).  So I lowered it down, drove it out of the garage, and the next day, hired the work done.....  $200 in labor using my carried in parts, and, it's quiet again.

First time in my life I've ever paid someone to work on one of my cars (excluding tire installation and alignment)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/23/22 4:16 p.m.

I would have paid to have it done if I'd have done it. It would be a PIA job without a lift. $100 on parts and $200 labor gets you a nice $300 solution. 

With cheapo parts, is the O2 sensor satisfied and keeping the check engine light off? 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/23/22 5:06 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes.

I was prepared to hook up the Torque Pro and clear the codes, but the check engine light went out on its own after about 20 miles of driving.

So, at least initially, it seems to be acceptable.  yes yes Voyager is Soooooo much better now that it's quiet.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/23/22 6:45 p.m.

And..... 

If you drive it like an old man, you can increase your fuel mileage:

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/23/22 8:14 p.m.

Good job, Old Man. 

What does the car still need?
Still on a busted strut?  
Still on crapy tires?  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/23/22 8:26 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes, I rotated the Bald tires to the back, and they need air about every two weeks.  The strut puked out that oil, but it doesn't seem to be performing any differently.  

I want to install new struts before getting an alignment and then tires.  In that order.  Inflation has slowed my ability to do this all with any kind of urgency or speed.

Currently, the car is functional, even if only barely.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/12/22 9:29 p.m.

And just like that, there were two......

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/12/22 9:31 p.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/12/22 9:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

521 miles and consuming $182 in fuel

If $4 per gal average then 45 gal and 11.5 mpg.

You're gonna love 40 mpg!  

Same trip, 13 gal or $52 in fuel at $4 per gal. 

That's like a 71% savings!!!!  Or said another way, "costs only 29% of what it costs to run the van."  Yeah, a van towing a car which the Prius can't do.  The van has double the seating capacity but cost more than twice to run.  As a big family, you could travel in 2 Prius cheaper than one van.  At least fuel costs.  

Remember this?

Must have been foreshadowing

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

You have a sickness.  Just saying so as a friend.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/22 9:13 a.m.

Wow, those are some ugly wheels. devil  The picture is not that clear.  Are there some chrome-y door handle inserts too?  Match the wheels?  

The tail lights tell me that this one is at least a 2006.  Black squares on the door handles tell me it is smart key equipped so likely back up camera too.  Tinted windows, nice.  Is the front bumper a little color different?   

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/13/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It's like a small heard! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/22 9:51 a.m.

This AC Delco through Amazon tends to be the cheapest 12v battery out there for these: $175

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
5/13/22 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Did you actually buy a second one, or did it come into existence by mitosis?

Now I have to get another blue one to keep the matching XJR/Prius combo cheeky

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/2/22 8:19 p.m.

In reply to JShaawbaru :

Yes. I bought a second one. The Waiting Room - Double Dose of Prius

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/2/22 8:23 p.m.

Prius Log, star date 6-2 point 22:

New traction tires aquired and mounted

Light years traveled for documentation:

Went with the factory width for attempt at increased mileage.  Also the cheapest tire I could find at $59 each plus tax and mounting:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y4wbkvvKt79wVyX30CDiTicY60FOkt22CsagyxywdzsKrdJ4P691v4DoCVwyMMQH