1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/8/20 12:30 a.m.

Would the k24 have any scca class implications or are you not concerned? 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) :

oh yeah.. K24 is a immediate kick up a bunch of classes into Hossier territory of Street mod FWD  or the new Xtreme Street class for SCCA autox. 

BUT, it makes zero change for One Lap.. and the HUGE increase in torque across the midrange and reduced redline will make the car better.... I'm willing to sacrifice a reduction in top speed of each gear and top end scream to make this car pull hard from 4-7.5k RPM. 

I'm currently evaluating and pricing out just pulling it apart putting new seals in itand slappping it back together with a new HG. or just doing the HG. 

4/10/20 3:35 p.m.

So I figured I'd share this with you guys. 

My Dad has told me about his 1972 Honda N600 since I was in HS and I saw one for the first time with him in a display case at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

I've never seen a photo of his though.... before today. 

So here's photographic proof that dumb Honda's run in the family. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Your dad looks like one cool cat!

5/2/20 4:41 p.m.

Drained the coolant and oil today. and added clean oil back into the car. 

we were lowering the car down using the front subframe point and the jack slipped on me and i managed to catch the edge of the trans bellhousing. 

luckily this is a non structural area.... but god dammit i have some bad luck lately. 

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/2/20 10:27 p.m.

That sucks man.  I always hold my breath when I'm jacking my Accord up by that front subframe jack point.  Did you crack the bell housing or just scratch it?  Hard to tell in the pic.

5/2/20 11:14 p.m.

In reply to Number1Gaza :

it got scratched back in the fall. it got cracked today. the inspection cover should be sitting flush to the trans housing and it is not. 

5/2/20 11:57 p.m.

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/k20z3-teardown.256224/

Found a useful tear down link. Just putting got here for future reference. 

5/3/20 10:17 p.m.

Ok parts that got ordered yesterday. 

New OEM head gasket and chain tensioner. I was going to order a chain but opted not to. Parts guy at Mcdavid Honda Frisco was willing to match the cost of parts online with shipping so i get parts sooner and pay the same price and he gets a better margin than the online seller. win for them and for me. they should coming in tuesday morning. 

i have a new gates thermostat also coming, as well as the housing that mounts to the block and goes in between the bock and thermostat also a gates unit. both coming from rock auto, promised for wednesady but showing a tuesday ETA. 

Here we go.......

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/4/20 1:55 a.m.

Good luck.  
Is the fact that the inspection port isn't leaking from the crack mean 'leave it for now' while I test to see if the engine is still ok?

5/4/20 2:29 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Yeah i have zero plans to mess with it. Its not in a structural area that tie the box to the motor so it's just gonna be that way for a while. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/4/20 7:42 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Good luck.  
Is the fact that the inspection port isn't leaking from the crack mean 'leave it for now' while I test to see if the engine is still ok?

That should just be the cover to the flywheel/clutch right? 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/4/20 7:57 a.m.

Hey Pete,

Just FYI, I have a aluminum spool gun inbound on the new welder.  So, I may be able to help with the crack on there shortly.  Just a small drive down....

5/4/20 9:04 a.m.
bobzilla said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Good luck.  

That should just be the cover to the flywheel/clutch right? 

Correct. So my only real concern is eventually getting it "sealed" again to keep FOD out of there... 

5/4/20 9:05 a.m.
Thinkkker said:

Hey Pete,

Just FYI, I have a aluminum spool gun inbound on the new welder.  So, I may be able to help with the crack on there shortly.  Just a small drive down....

Sweet! Well if i get it running, then it's a REALLY easy drive down.. so i will probably take you up on that offer. Thanks man! 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/4/20 9:32 a.m.

I can't tell you the number of thousands of miles I've driven stuff missing those. In fact, the farm truck still doesn't have one because it was missing when I purchased it.

5/4/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Cool. 

That's part of why I wasn't worried about it after i finished the initial swearing at myself. 

Well.. berkeley that's not good..   

Actually that could have been worse... I dodged a bullet on how bad that could have been. 

5/4/20 9:30 p.m.

you guys have realized this build thread is partially my life and a story of Hazmat. 

I intertwine them both into my posts. 

I got a verbal job offer today. I am expecting a written one tomorrow and should be back to work in 2 weeks. 

I'm going to be moving again, headed south, but I'm staying in Texas and going to a new city. 

today was a really good day. I'm really excited to be back to work. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/4/20 9:42 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm going to be moving again, headed south, but I'm staying in Texas and going to a new city. 

You realize, you would be leaving the country if that weren't the case......

Texas is the southern most you get really.

5/4/20 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

i think your texas accent made it's way into your typing... what now?? 

Edit since you fixed your typing

LoL, yes, still staying in state.... Just a big damn state.. 

shagles
shagles Reader
5/5/20 6:33 a.m.

Haha you said "heading south, but staying in Texas" so i think he's getting at if you headed south and didn't stay in Texas, you'd be leaving the country. 
Anyways, that's great you got a job offer! Where are you headed and when?

5/5/20 7:35 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

More info soon. 

5/5/20 8:43 p.m.

Ok, ink is dry. 

I've accepted a job in San Antonio.

It's a career shift, but one with a path to being a project manager. 

I am very excited, It looks like me loosing my job was actually the best thing that could happen to me. 

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/20 9:12 p.m.

Glad to hear things are looking up!  You employed again means more cool updates on one of my favorite builds on this forum. 

5/5/20 10:40 p.m.
Number1Gaza said:

Glad to hear things are looking up!  You employed again means more cool updates on one of my favorite builds on this forum. 

Thanks man. Means a lot. 

I won't lie.. Mazdeuce, sleepyhead and Bobzilla and myself had a lot of chats because i had some personal crisis going on about continuing with the project or hanging it up. 

Obviously we can see how it all shook out. But my idle mind had a lot of time to think and it wasn't a good thing. 

So to see stuff like that is really encouraging to me. 

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
86r2ZvW8rLsHWsbp82yCaqANAVUmJKdGuHi5o3T996gfptYQRBTmeOLTKDRnCOx4