1 2 3 ... 11
tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
3/22/21 11:08 a.m.

So... After building (still working on it) a 914 with an LS3/Boxster 6-speed and a few other mods, 174 pages and counting build thread here on 914World (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900) I see this decent looking but clearly neglected CL500 that was stored outside at a buddy's shop. I say to him, "THAT needs to become my track day / Lemons car!" Long-ish story short, I end up trading the owner some of my time doing fabrication on his '55 Chevy for the Benz. And the fun begins!

First, what are we starting with? Well, it's 3980 lbs of over-engineered luxury ridiculousness.  Those of you who've worked on these know what I'm talking about. Heated, ventilated, MASSAGING seats. Pneumatic locks on everything, hydraulic suspension, power everything, 8 air bags. On the bright side, the floor, suspension towers, front firewall, A-pillar and about 1/2 way back on the outside of the roof inner structure are steel. The entire rest of this thing is a combo of aluminum, plastic and composite. In other words, it's RIPE for a massive weight reduction - which is what I started on. 

Beyond the full cage and all other necessary safety equipment, plans include what some may disagree with, others may find amusing, but all will certainly agree are a giant waste of time and money. To that I say, "Yes, I know it is. But it make me smile so I'm doin' it!" 

mikey63
mikey63
3/22/21 12:48 p.m.

What the heck are you up to now?!!!!! I know this will be epic.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/22/21 1:54 p.m.

Thats actually lighter than I expected it to be.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/21 2:01 p.m.

Should be able to sell those wheels and use some money for the project

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
3/22/21 2:09 p.m.

I like adding lightness.  Wonder how light can it get? Does it run? Guessing no.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
3/22/21 6:50 p.m.
mdshaw said:

I like adding lightness.  Wonder how light can it get? Does it run? Guessing no.

Me too, on the lightness. I'm hoping it lands, track ready, under 3000 lbs. It did run and drive. Not no mo' tho! The drive train is out and gone, replacement engine and trans still being noodled on. It'll be a manual, that's all that has been nailed down at this point.

In keeping with the lightness comment, I pulled a splash mold from the sunroof and made a quick carbon fiber filler panel.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/22/21 6:58 p.m.

I am totally into this build. I dropped 450lbs from my M5 and it feels so good. Thanks Jenny Craig!

I think the ABC suspension would be a great thing to dump. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/22/21 7:34 p.m.

Everybody knows Mercedes don't make good looking track cars........right? I mean , just look at this.....See the source image

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

He's already shown us what he can whip up with a bit of carbon fiber, I don't think a full DTM body kit is out of the question.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
3/23/21 6:56 p.m.

Well, despite my best efforts, the wife says "No, you can't spend huge $$$ buying an expensive Italian engine/transmission just so you can call your car the 'Benzo Ferrari'"!

Sorry all, I tried, I really did. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/21 11:07 a.m.

Tyga is an amazing fabricator. Please do not gloss over his 914 build on 914world.

Chris, I am a mid-engined guy too...WYD?

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease......

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/27/21 11:38 a.m.

Wow. That's quite the starting point. Very interested to see what this can do when not weighed down so much. 

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
3/27/21 5:42 p.m.

OjaiM5 suggested the ABC (Active Body Control) hydraulic suspension would be good to dump. I'm way ahead of you, my friend! The entire hydraulic system is out of the car, though it's temporarily sitting on some aftermarket coil overs. 

IMO, there are really  no good options for improving the stock suspension on this thing. So in the spirit of "I wonder if this will work...", here's the Corvette C5 rear suspension about to be grafted into RacerBenz. Same deal is planned for the front. So yes, full C5 'Vette suspension. Why C5? I had it laying around for a project I never got to.

A motto I try and live by is "It's only metal."  Wish me luck, I'm goin' in!

BarryNorman
BarryNorman Reader
3/27/21 7:39 p.m.

In reply to tygaboy :

Now try Maserati. I've heard they're quite a bit cheaper. No prancing horse and no wrinkle finished valve covers must detract from the status of the thing. Maybe the transaxle as well. (C5 rear sub and all)  I'm sure someone who could only afford a Gibli (when wanting more) probably wrapped one around a tree. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/21 8:24 p.m.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
4/7/21 1:53 p.m.

I decided that having spares wouldn't be a bad thing so I procured complete front and rear C5 suspension assemblies to compliment the partial rear set up I already had.

At least that's what I'm telling myself! In any case, here we go...

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
4/7/21 2:03 p.m.

Just one of the trips to the dump. Haven't weighed it yet but I have to believe it's 1000 lbs lighter...

Oh my. 

Oh myyyyyyyyyy.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/7/21 8:43 p.m.

Uff. This is going to be great. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/7/21 8:44 p.m.

How is it lighter than my 1979 Sonderklasse!? I love the S Klasse coupes and this gen is always such a sleeper(in my [bad vision] eyes). Can't wait to see what happens next.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/7/21 9:21 p.m.

It looks like the general shape might appear Mercedes but other than that there isn't much Benzo left!

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
4/11/21 4:44 p.m.

It's looking like I'll add a hood vent, because, well Tygaboy. I have a CNC plasma table and made a vent that was originally intended for use on my LS 914 build. I ended up not liking how it looked on the car and went a different way.  I think I can repurpose it for use on RacerBenz.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/21 5:03 p.m.

Cool stuff going on in here. 

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
4/13/21 5:33 p.m.

Not too exciting but necessary: I scored a set of 18x8.5" / 19x10" OE wheels for $400. Crap tires but that's OK as this set up will allow me to get started on the Vette suspension transplant work.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
4/13/21 5:42 p.m.

And since some of you may enjoy it, here are a few shots of my LS3/Boxster 6-speed 914 build. It dyno'd at 518hp/464 torque. It's running and driving and I've got about 200 miles on it so far. Still working through some development and set up stuff. The link to the full build on 914 World is in the first post, if you're interested in WAAAY too much detail...!

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Roo5J9xQTL1snQeiuGSqrmlSgFP2biMqTmuU8aNWiFVEgpJBUAJst73i21BA2nDg