1 2 3
moxnix
moxnix Dork
5/5/22 5:46 p.m.
ojannen said:

Is anyone from the east coast regions going to the Sediv regional event in Huntsville in June?

Thinking about it but have not decided.  With it being a SEDIV event instead of a national tour it makes me a little less likely to go. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
6/28/22 9:03 a.m.

Here is an update from the last few months

The sketchy rallycrosses put on by The FIRM have been a lot of fun.  I think they are about 75% of the way to a rally sprint depending on the course.  I want a roll cage and a hundred more horsepower for those courses.  There is about a rollover per event, not counting side by sides.  They seem to be leaning heavily on the nitro rallycross course.  We are all curious if they quit going through the tress for insurance reasons or something else.  The half tarmac, half clay courses make tire choices tough.  You can destroy a set of rally tires in an event.  I ended up buying a used set of autocross tires and they worked ok.

I just got back from the Sediv event in Huntsville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoAQwJ_--E. I love that site.  We stayed in huntsville a few extra days and enjoyed visiting the area.  

I am still impressed with drivers who can be quick out of the box on a new surface.  My codriver and I spent the whole first session underdriving and pushing the car in corners.  We had new tires for the first time in two and a half years and the clay was pretty sticky stuff.  I was full throttle mid sweeper instead of having to modulate or stay off.

I didn't drive well.  Too many cones early on while learning the surface.  Then I decided to push and see what kind of raw times were achievable.  That did not improve overall times once the cones were factored in.  I think with some practice, I could get within spitting distance of everyone except for Leon.  I am not sure how to compete with something that is 1000lbs less, 100 more hp, and mid engined.

In the video, you can hear my transmission eating itself.  I thought I had worn out another driveshaft (yay bmw) but didn't find any play.  I took it to my mechanic and they found the noise was coming from inside the transmission.  They recommended running until it died and bringing a trailer everywhere.  I am not sure what I am going to do once it dies.

In the meantime, I bought another Z3 Coupe.  I owned one a decade ago and sold it a little too early when my life changed.  This one popped up for a good price as an ex-track car.

I was planning on using it for track and autocross days but the first thing that came up was a rallycross at The FIRM.  It looks and sounds epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC0nqzr-6vg 

It is also tough to drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2tE0BbIao. It really wants mid corner gas to keep the back end in line.  That took me a couple runs to figure out.  I put rally tires on the rear for the second event and it went a lot better.  I still have some learning to do as I am about 1.5 seconds back per 60 second run against my regular competition.  Front tires will help if I can find soe that fit over the brakes.  Mostly I need to get ahead of the car so I am predicting the handling instead of reacting to it.

I am not happy with the diff.  It goes from two wheel to one wheel drive once you spin a tire and it is hard to predict when that will happen.  It hooks in the opposite direction of the spinning tire almost randomly.  You can see it in some of these pictures. 

My extremely photogenic Indian friend came out to his first event and rode in the car.  I think he is hooked.

I am not sure where to go next.  

I bought a mid engined car to run in modified last fall but I think it is going to end up in the space between modified and constructors classes once the new rules are in place.  To run in modified, I will need to start my own stage rally series (Totally Real Rally Association, coming soon to the Firm) so I can use the logbook loophole in the rules.  To be 100% legal in constructors, I will need to recage and reskin the car to meet metal thickness rules. 

Prepared rear is dead in the southeast.  I have the only prepped car.  I got tired of winning a few years ago and just run in modified so there are other similarly prepped cars.  There are fast drivers in the DC, Ohio, and Michigan regions but they are more than a days tow away.  A taste of torque from the Z3 has me wondering if I should swap to a 6 cylinder instead of just replacing the transmission when it goes.  If The FIRM keeps running the rally sprints, maybe I will add a cage and move towards stage rally.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/22 9:17 a.m.

Lol!  "Thumbs up" photo is great!

ojannen
ojannen Reader
7/13/22 9:14 p.m.

I took the Z3 to a rallycross at The FIRM this weekend.

https://youtu.be/-q5QWGOz_y4

The wet clay was difficult to deal with.  I think flicking the car in and using more patience before getting on the throttle was key.  Normally I can change the slip angle with the throttle but it was slick enough that I just added to the understeer.  The mud on the tires made the next braking zone extra interesting.

I cracked the bumper pretty badly on the rough bit just before the jump in the video.  I zip tied it back together but decided to call it after the morning runs were complete.  With no underbody protection and no trailer, I had pushed my luck far enough.  I sadly missed the mudfest in the afternoon.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/14/22 7:18 a.m.

Long live the shoe, love those cars

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/14/22 8:01 a.m.

Your TI looks sooo good crossed up with those meaty fronts. And a clowshoe! You have great taste in E36s

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/19/22 9:04 p.m.

After driving the z3 for a bit and a bout of covid, I drove the 318ti in anger for the first time in a few months.  I forgot how good it was.  It is a faster steering rack away from being perfect at scca rallycross speeds.

I stripped the interior over the summer and was impressed in the difference in feel.  The car is a little under powered and the lower weight was enough that I had to change braking points.

I got a rare spectator video from the event and cut it together with the camera on the car: https://youtu.be/ktnLjMClUeI

I am debating whether I attempt to make sandblast next year.  A cage + suspension + safety equipment is expensive.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
1/18/23 6:25 a.m.

Sandblast this year isn't happening.  I helped my parents buy a house and we picked a marginal one.  At least the location is good.  I should get back onto the stage rally safety train after Sandblast 2023 when all the local rally prep shops run out of work.

In the mean time, I have been enjoying driving the lightweight 318.  Acceleration is much better with less weight in the car.  This past weekend, I took the car to the local sketchy rallycross at The FIRM.  For the tabletop jump, I slowed to my normal speed and was surprised when all four wheels left the ground.  I noticed handling getting worse and some weird banging noises due to wheel hop.  I thought I had just blown a shock until I got back to paddock and looked under the car.

https://youtu.be/pxtXUzC3juY

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
3/23/23 2:33 p.m.

I finally won my class at The FIRM this week using a new strategy.

Leh Keen was there in the original Safari 911 that has been all over youtube.  He put in some ridiculous times that would have put him in roughly 2nd overall if he had stayed for the whole day.  He looked epic: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp_PVu4AXQj/

I had my normal day which isn't particularly interesting to watch.  At one point, I caught up to a dirt modified on bald offroad tires.  He was quick in a straight line but had to take every corner at 8 mph.  I had to make this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UccHMQKQ1NI

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/23 3:53 p.m.

Wow!  I think that is the first 2wd car I've seen get enough traction to really clear the Nitro jump!  And the dirt modified?  I was picturing a V8 circle track car, but looks more like a sand rail buggy?  Nice win!

I did not know who Leh Keen was until I just googled him.  Damn, what a Boss!

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
3/5/24 1:54 p.m.

Its the beginning of 2024 in this increasingly poorly named post.

I took an awesome picture of my sedan delivery.

I managed to finish 5th in raw time in a field of nearly 50.  Obviously, I hit a ton of cones.  Maybe I will stop someday.  It is more fun to try to get close though.

I am debating whether I set the Z3 up for prepared rear.  It needs a cat, a skid plate, and not much else.  I don't think it is faster than my gutted 318ti but the extra low end torque makes it more fun on our courses.  Every course has at least 18 mph turnaround that just doesn't work with the 4 cylinder gearing.  I might raise up the rear a little too.

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
3/11/24 3:51 p.m.

Back to the 3 series and the rougher venue at St Lucie this month.  I pulled the rear sway bar this winter and the extra rear grip at St Lucie is pretty impressive.  I avoided it for a long time because we have so many slalom type elements at The FIRM.

The other side of the change is the car wants to understeer instead of kicking the back end out when I blip the throttle mid corner.  That was a bit of an adjustment but I mostly got it right on my quick runs.

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
4/14/24 9:24 p.m.

A local shops rents out a Subaru for rallycross and I drove it at the event this weekend.  I was towing the timing trailer back to Orlando so I didn't have my regular BMW options available.

It was my first rallycross in an AWD drive car.  The straight line grip was great.  High speed turns were great.  I kept doing dumb stuff in the low speed turns as I figured out the car.  I ended up with a pretty good raw time, a few seconds behind the leaders, but hit a ton of cones.

https://youtu.be/XpbAYx-LDpI?si=2q21IK0mkkX-iYv-

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/24 11:52 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

I have an AWD Saabaru I use for RallyCross and I've been pondering RWD since I love driving sideways, but your video's description of enjoying all the traction of AWD makes me second guess that. It feels futile to try to do slides on ice, for instance, when I can't get enough traction to get up to speed in the first place. Would that be a comparable experience to running RWD in RallyCross dirt? 

Also, I think I haven't been taking left foot braking seriously enough. My 2.5 bogs down in the loose dirt a lot but I bet I could reclaim real time by being able to re-launch just by coming off the brake. I can't wait for the next event to try it!

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
4/15/24 8:46 a.m.

Hey, I know you! It's Alan Jr, with the (kinda) black GTi! 

Do they rent the Subarus for events at the firm? Our GTi probably isn't going to be running for a while, but arrive and drive at the firm wouldn't be bad!

Also do you have a thread on the mini?

and finally, keep in touch! My dad and I camp at Rolex every year outside the track, if you and the wife and kiddo go next year let me know and we can meet up!

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
4/15/24 11:04 a.m.

The difference between AWD and RWD on the straights (after 1 event, not an expert, your mileage may vary, not a lawyer, etc), was that in a 150hp, 2200lb awd car, I could floor it and go.  In my similar weight and power 318ti, I pedal it constantly to keep it going in a straight line.  The driving style in sweepers for me was pretty similar.  Pitch the car sideways with a lift, touch of brakes, or big steering input then catch it with steering and gas.  In slower corners, in the AWD car, I just had to wait for the corner to end.  In my RWD car, I could blip the throttle to bring the rear end around and start accelerating out a little sooner.  I lost a bunch of time attempting that in the Subaru and just understeering into the loose stuff.

Higher Ground rents their Subarus at The Firm too.  I am not sure the best way to contact them because google doesn't have their phone number.  They normally respond to instagram DMs pretty quickly: https://www.instagram.com/highergroundfl/. The next FIRM even is on April 18.

I will keep in touch on the Rolex.  We went for the first time this year and had a bunch of fun.

This is thread on the mini.  The real update is now I have a 2 year old, a 5 year old and a TV in the garage capable of playing Bluey so I have started working on cars again.  I don't have much to show yet.  I have finally solved this problem (jackstand just out of shot).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PuCpcFuMINlrRriDjyAQo19jlkzImhNqDjHlpG8Xohtw7xG65rHi0YmoYD4l8Px8