1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/10/15 7:53 p.m.

Sure why not, y'all like to partake in my stupidity. So if you didn't see the other thread I have a squished Smart car on my hands. But let's back up a bit. I commute 140 miles a day, for years I drove beaters of questionable status. Finally after one too many "work from home because the car wont start" days the boss presented me with my annual raise with a comment that maybe I could get a new car now....message received. So I like quirky little cars and I wanted fuel economy and the smart had just hit the US shores, so I brought home a nice little silver smart car.

I drove the wheels off that thing for 3 years and 110,000 miles regularly cruising my commute at 80mph.

Finally my daughter was graduating and needing wheels and I was ready for something different (I have automotive ADD after all) I was going to sell the smart and buy her something so I asked what she wanted in a car. She said Green. I thought she meant eco friendly but no she just wanted a green car....sigh, her mother's influence. But I realized for the money I'd get for selling the Smart I wouldn't find a newer, better car so green then...I painted it.

She's been rocking the little car for 4 years now and while she learned well how to properly maintain it mechanically she's not been too kind on it cosmetically. It was never waxed (single stage paint) and she seems to park by feel. Then she was in DC traffic and bashed it into the back of a truck.

Because these are designed to sacrifice parts for safety it did a bit of damage under the plastic. I drove down and did some bandaid repairs to make it driveable back up to my place for further evaluation and planning.

Yes I just happened to have matching green duct tape in my car. So first assessment said the parts were cost prohibitive to fix this. I hit about $1500 when I stopped hunting because I can get a similar mile smart for about $3500-$4000 so we were approaching just buy another car territory. But I found a shop on ebay that bought out a fleet of smarts and disassembled them all. They were offering a full front end rebuild kit for $700, but shipped freight from CA so still kinda expensive. I called them today and dropped a few parts I didnt need (radiator and condenser survived as well as other bits) and got it down to $800 shipped to my nearest forward air terminal about 10 miles away. Deal. And since her mom saw fit to drop the full coverage to save money she's picking up the parts cost I'm providing labor, paint, and mechanical work while its here.

So step 1, make it fall apart. First off with the plastics, took about 20 minutes, pretty easy the second time around.

Then I removed the rest of the broken parts, it is now ready for new parts but I will be taking the rest of the body panels off for paint prep and cleaning up everything while its apart as well as giving it a general checkup and maintenance items.

Pretty sure we're sticking with a similar color green but with some pearl in it this time and a base clear to help survive her lack of waxing. Trying to think of some other custom touches to add to it while it's here too.

Once pars arrive it could go back together rather quick but she doesn't need a car this semester so I will probably take my time and really try and get it as nice as I can.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/10/15 7:58 p.m.

I think it looks pretty sweet as a SmartOCET

java230
java230 New Reader
8/10/15 8:01 p.m.

Sweet! Needs more turbo

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
8/10/15 8:08 p.m.

Time for street survival class for daughter?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/10/15 8:17 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Time for street survival class for daughter?

She's actually a very good and cautious driver, this was just an unfortunate event in traffic. Not saying she wasn't at fault just saying it happens every day in high density traffic, sooner or later we all bite it.

Now the whole parking thing on the other hand, I mean really how do you have trouble parking a smart car?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
8/10/15 8:28 p.m.

In reply to java230:

I looked into turboing the stock engine. Still slow. That transmission is a drag.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/10/15 8:33 p.m.

Car is going back to my daughter, no need for turbos, 'busa swaps or any other insanity. :)

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
8/10/15 8:36 p.m.

DC is tough on cars. Glad she's a safe driver. Looking forward to seeing the results

java230
java230 New Reader
8/10/15 10:19 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Car is going back to my daughter, no need for turbos, 'busa swaps or any other insanity. :)

Boo! Your build threads are better than that..

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/10/15 10:23 p.m.

Baggedfortwo?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/19/15 2:47 p.m.

More details on the retreival trip in my truck thread (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/im-gonna-have-some-splainin-to-dorandomish-vehicle/101647/page6/#post1871638) but the parts finally showed up to get this moving again. Unfortunately injury has sidelined the work a bit but I'll be back on it soon.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/21/15 1:08 p.m.

finished the teardown this morning so I can start prepping for paint if the weather ever cools down.

took about 45 minutes to remove the rest of the panels, not a terrible job.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/15 5:38 p.m.

A lot of really cool E36 M3 seems to happen in your driveway.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/21/15 7:39 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

How much weight did you strip from it just now? That's fuel economy, right there.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/21/15 8:05 p.m.

Exofortwo?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/21/15 9:06 p.m.
Woody wrote: A lot of really cool E36 M3 seems to happen in your driveway.

And some not so cool stuff, after I finished that a buddy stopped by with his E46 to have me evaluate a rusted jack point. Holy crap it was bad, we started repairs today, I'll have to finish sunday. All I can say is Im glad it will all be hidden under a plastic side skirt when done.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/15 12:51 a.m.
mndsm wrote: ExAreForTeeEye?

What the fuhhhh...

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/22/15 11:55 a.m.

Played with some designs today. One of her best friends is being my critic since she knows better what a 19 year old girl likes.

Daughter loves giraffes so I wanted to incorporate that but my first design was deemed to be "a bit too much"

I dunno, I think the little cars are cartoonish enough that they could pull off something like that.

Anyway I did a toned down version which is deemed acceptable.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
8/22/15 12:18 p.m.

Thanks for this opportunity to see under a Smart Car's skin. Got a much better feel for how the car is laid out.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/15 12:40 p.m.

The upper giraffe one looks like Kermit wearing a thong

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/23/15 11:47 a.m.

When "toned down" is neon green, you know you've done something right.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/15 8:28 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:

My daughter has cast a solid vote for this version, though she's not a fan of the green. I suggested brown, but she thinks that turquoise would be nice. She may just like saying turquoise though...

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/31/15 10:24 a.m.

The green is not open for debate, that color was chosen by my daughter long ago and she is unwavering in her love for it.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
8/31/15 11:35 a.m.

Man, I'd rock the ExoForTwo for sure. Did you have a feel for how much weight all those panels came to?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
8/31/15 12:22 p.m.

It probably snows where you live but when the car reaches the end of commuting life you should do this to it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8fjk3XBcjRGt4PuPUMIlge3b17jWpDbg8KdY8oG3Bjtvpa0rNhZJQeh2CZMsS5wM