1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/16 4:04 p.m.

Well, I managed to get most of the big dent out of the front of the roof. I didn't shoot any good before shots, but surfice it to say there was a big ass sized dent right in the front of the roof. Here are the after shots. It's not perfect, but it's getting there.

I'm pretty happy about that.

I also pulled all the rusted screws that used to hold the carpet up in the front and scraped all the bits and pieces off. I think I'm going to have to wire wheel this and paint it.

Next I pulled the cheap plastic light fixtures. They are way too ugly to be staying in here.

Here's something y'all will appreciate. See this wire that's disappeares across the top of the bus.

That's what was powering the lights I just pulled. They ran it across the roof and drilled a hole through the roof everywhere they wanted a light. That's probably half of my roof leaks right there. I hate stupid.

More to come...

java230
java230 HalfDork
2/8/16 8:57 p.m.

Wow, just wow. That is lazy light install... Can't really be much easier than running the wire inside.

Toyman01
2/11/16 5:08 p.m.

So, SanFord has run into a slight issue. Unfortunately it has to do with paperwork.

When I bought it, the PO said he had never transferred the title to his name. It was still in the name of the person he bought it from, but the buyers info had never been filled in. Not exactly kosher, but something I've run across before and never had a problem with, so no big deal.

Then it came time to title it. The title owner is Our Vacation Toy Trust and the title is signed by the trust member. South Carolina wants a certified letter from the trust stating that the person who signed the title, is legally allowed to sign the title. Reasonable. No problem, I contacted the PO who gave me the name and number of his PO.

A phone call should take care of it right? Wrong.

The PO's PO isn't the Our Vacation Toy Trust guy either, the bus was given to him by his cousin, the trust guy and the guy that signed the title. And there we run into a slight problem. The cousin has been dead for 10 years and the trust dissolved with with his death.

Oh E36 M3. This might have been a mistake after all.

There is a possibility that Illinois has a work around that will take a fair amount of time and some expense. There is a possibility that SC will let me title it as a vehicle with no title, a pain in the ass and not guaranteed to work.

We are exploring options and have a meeting with the South Carolina DMV tomorrow.

Work has stopped pending getting this straight. I'd hate to have to part it out, but that could be my only option.

Probably not the stupidest thing I've ever done, but it's going to be close depending on the outcome.

More to come.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/11/16 5:12 p.m.

I hate to say it, but what about one of the advertisers in hemming that sells titles? Not a great solution, but better than a part out.

Toyman01
2/11/16 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Anything is possible at this point. If the DMV is less than helpful, I'll be exploring other options.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/11/16 5:32 p.m.

I see no moral problem, as it's all completely legal as far as your bus is concerned. It'd be different if you didn't track the whole way back.

Either way, good luck with the dmv.

theenico
theenico Reader
2/11/16 5:52 p.m.

Do you know anyone with a tow lot that deals with "abandoned" cars? There may be a work around there,

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/11/16 6:31 p.m.

Does SC offer a "bonded" title?

Toyman01
2/11/16 6:38 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte:

They don't. They do offer a way to title a pre 1976 vehicle that doesn't have a title. I ran title searches on the bus vin and came back with no records, so there is a good chance I can fill out the appropriate forms, mail them in and wait. Then I'll have to carry the bus in and have it inspected and have the vin verified. At that point you are at their mercy. They can say no for any reason.

We'll see what they say tomorrow.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
2/11/16 7:37 p.m.

If there is no other title on record you should be able to do that. I went though the same crap with a Volvo I recently got from a member here. Luckily I was able to get a bonded title last minute but I was about to go through the process your about to. Best of luck toyman.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/11/16 7:46 p.m.

Suck. Hopefully your local DMV is like mine. They're pretty helpful if you are straight with them and play by the rules.

Besides, who'd try to steal and then title something like Sanford?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/11/16 8:40 p.m.

If the PO is amenable to helping, it may be easier for him to do the legwork to get the title straightened out in his name in his state, then do the title transfer to you. Offer him some money for his time.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/16 8:47 p.m.

does the certified letter have to come from the address on the title? or can someone, say, mail you one on "blah trust" letterhead from wherever, certified mail, and have it fly?

i had a title like that, except it was printed in 1953 and never signed. PO was dead by 45 years. someone may or may not have signed it and had a notary friend stamp it, took it to the title office, and got the new title in minutes.

Toyman01
2/11/16 8:56 p.m.

Stuart, the po is willing but I have already filled out the title in my name.

Pat, we think a lot alike.

java230
java230 HalfDork
2/11/16 10:00 p.m.

Bummer freaking deal! Hopefully this all gets worked out in the next couple of pages

Toyman01
2/12/16 3:23 p.m.

Just so y'all know, Mrs. Toyman rocks. She not only puts up with my shenanigans, she's a participant. Not always a willing one, but...

She met with the DMV today. Not only is SanFord titled, he has plates. 100% legal.

We are back in business!!

java230
java230 HalfDork
2/12/16 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Nice work Mrs toyman!!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/12/16 3:32 p.m.

She's sucking up for Valentines day. Never under estimate the value of a truly good woman, Rock on

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/12/16 3:38 p.m.

Excellent!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/12/16 4:00 p.m.

Awesome!

Toyman01
2/12/16 4:14 p.m.

Aaaaawwwww Yyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

Looking at the paper work, the plate was kind of expensive. $190 because of the 16000 pound weight. You have to love old vehicles though, property taxes were $14.

This bus has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster ever since I first saw it. I'm ready for the "Awesome!!" to outnumber the "Oh Crap!!!."

And yes, there is more to come.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
2/12/16 4:32 p.m.

Awesome!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/12/16 4:41 p.m.

Oh crap!

Toymans wife made Sanford legal.

I have no idea what to get her for an equally awesome valentine's day present. Hopefully he does. ...

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman Reader
2/12/16 4:45 p.m.

Go MOM!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/12/16 5:51 p.m.

If Mrs Toyman has any intention of taking the wheel of this thing, she will go up even further in my already high estimation of her. The woman is a trooper.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nv0KJxweSjnmN6bEdVjcFu0PMZBIMRWIGhW1eag0rE6Hu5DHkwdzljqTHGjW1jHF