1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 113
alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

it would be neat if there was a "classic" version of that class.  But I do wonder if there are enough old, small, sports car owners willing to do what the CAM owners are doing.  That, and the lack of good, modern, upgrades for many (like I don't know what engine I would upgrade an Alfa GTV with)...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/28/20 9:22 a.m.

So let me get this straight, the pandemic is leading you to nickle-diming us? (joke about nickname for the datsun 510)

I totally get why you are doing it. Will miss seeing the pink panther continuing development, but you gotta do what makes sense for your life. 

Am I right that XS is kind of a catch-all similar to CAM, but open to imports?  Thats what I have been reading it as. 

I'm shooting for XS-B for my TVR.  I think it'll be a cool class to run.

Does the Datsun have the right "flavor" for the Cruise-In portion of your requirements?  You think it will be sufficiently eye-catching?  Your Beetle is clearly eye-catching, and the Panther is more eye-bleeding.  Maybe the Datsun would just need the right visual package.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 9:29 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

So let me get this straight, the pandemic is leading you to nickle-diming us? (joke about nickname for the datsun 510)

I totally get why you are doing it. Will miss seeing the pink panther continuing development, but you gotta do what makes sense for your life. 

Am I right that XS is kind of a catch-all similar to CAM, but open to imports?  Thats what I have been reading it as. 

I will not stop development of the Pink Panther until somebody buys it. I have some significant upgrades planned for this winter. I still enjoy driving and tinkering with it but I want something I can drive every day, not just a few minutes every few weeks. My next event isn't for another 3 weeks and it makes me crazy

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 9:29 a.m.

Sounds like a fun class.  Sad to see the B go, but as I stare at my own overwhelming number of projects, I completely understand. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 9:30 a.m.

I like your flexibility of thinking. I lack that because of my 55+ years of Jaguar involvement but at least I'm thinking past my V12.  

The idea of a Porsche ( if your wife agrees ) will absolutely push your skill level.  I would look at IAAI and co-part insurance sites. As a starting point. I often see cars sell for much less than 50% of retail needing only a few body parts a frame shop straightening  and work to bring them back. True it's unlikely you'll find the perfect one overnight but  every time I search I find several that are tempting. Throw a cheap bid and see. It costs nothing to try. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yes, I've been looking at Copart and see that I could pick up a GT3 for significantly cheaper than retail. First step is gathering up the funds necessary for such a purchase

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 9:35 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

it would be neat if there was a "classic" version of that class.  But I do wonder if there are enough old, small, sports car owners willing to do what the CAM owners are doing.  That, and the lack of good, modern, upgrades for many (like I don't know what engine I would upgrade an Alfa GTV with)...

I really don't like the non wheel to wheel aspect of autocross but I agree that sounds like a low cost way to take some old banger out and have a little fun. 

Let me understand this, no roll cage requirement? No fuel cell, drivers suit, and pretty much run whatcha got?  

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 9:47 a.m.

Here's a twist for you guys to consider: What if I kept the Pink Panther but took the engine/trans out and plopped that into a Datsun 510? 350hp (soon to be 400+) at the wheels in a 2100 lb Datsun seems like a good time

loosecannon said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Yes, I've been looking at Copart and see that I could pick up a GT3 for significantly cheaper than retail. First step is gathering up the funds necessary for such a purchase

I wonder if a Cayman S would do the job just as well without being a high-strung nightmare to keep together.  (Totally conjecture on my part that the GT3 would be hard to maintain.)

I mean you guys already raced a Boxster, so the Cayman would feel super natural.  The fixed roof is cool for track days.  Such a pretty car, too!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 9:48 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.  It would really depend on the number of entrants and what your region does.  There is a classic car club of mostly old LBCs that tags onto some of our local region events and essentially runs as their own class.  Neat seeing an old MG TC gridded next to a modern Porsche. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
8/28/20 10:13 a.m.

"Classic XS" more or less already exists in the form of the HC classes...except despite all the whining from the "old school" guys that they didn't have any place to run their cars that brought the classes into existence, they never actually showed up to events so now the class is all but dead.

The thing about the GT3 is it's actually designed and built to handle performance driving. Sure the parts are expensive but everything is pretty much bulletproof from the factory. I would make the case that the cayman (or a non-GT3 911) is the better street car because of the more compliant suspension and the fact that piling miles on a GT3 is the only way you can really kill their value (though if you're getting a copart-spec one, that's not really a factor). But the GT3 is far from unacceptable as a street car and is better suited for performance driving, particularly track use.

dps214 said:

The thing about the GT3 is it's actually designed and built to handle performance driving. Sure the parts are expensive but everything is pretty much bulletproof from the factory.

That is a good point.  Not much upgrading required.  As long as parts are actually available.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 6:54 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Funny, after I posted about the GT3, I looked for Copart Cayman GT4 and they are much, much closer to my budget and I loved the Boxster and have driven a few Cayman S's and was very impressed. Cayman GT4 might be the way to go

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
8/28/20 7:51 p.m.

Just pay attention to where the damage is...if it has front strut tower damage, that's a $20k repair that you can't really diy.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/28/20 8:23 p.m.
loosecannon said:

Here's a twist for you guys to consider: What if I kept the Pink Panther but took the engine/trans out and plopped that into a Datsun 510? 350hp (soon to be 400+) at the wheels in a 2100 lb Datsun seems like a good time

This is exactly where I hoped you were going....I've always envisioned an LHU in the '73BGT in the grossh ...wink

late

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/20 9:18 p.m.

Good video. Seems like a tough decision but reasonable all things considered. Is the Kart track staying afloat? I do recall you feeling an imminent threat earlier this year.. and brainstorming ways to supplement the sales/profits.  

How much more effort are you going to put into the suburban before selling?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 10:10 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Good video. Seems like a tough decision but reasonable all things considered. Is the Kart track staying afloat? I do recall you feeling an imminent threat earlier this year.. and brainstorming ways to supplement the sales/profits.  

How much more effort are you going to put into the suburban before selling?

The kart track was closed for a couple of months and we dug a bit of a hole, but the Canadian government is giving $2000/month to basically everyone and we are having our best summer ever because people have money and few places to spend it. Having said that, the hole is a deep one but there's no better way to dig ourselves out than have a great summer. The government money is set to end next month and we have no idea what's happening after that. The Suburban was listed for sale as is yesterday and it's getting a lot of action, I may have priced it too low

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 10:44 p.m.
loosecannon said:

How much would the pink panther be devalued without it's engine ? As compared to how much could you replicate a different engine for the Datsun?  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 10:49 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Funny, after I posted about the GT3, I looked for Copart Cayman GT4 and they are much, much closer to my budget and I loved the Boxster and have driven a few Cayman S's and was very impressed. Cayman GT4 might be the way to go

Check IAAI  too.  I usually find better cars there than Co-part.  How much of a hassle would it be to buy an American "wreck" and bring it into Canada?   
Ive got friends in several cities who'll check out cars for me when they're going there themselves 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/29/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I wouldn't sell the Pink Panther without its engine, I would just use the motor until I could build a good Nissan based engine for the car. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

That sounds like a fair bit of hassle.

Someone suggested a Nissan RB20DET for my TVR project.  That would be a sweet fit for a 510 restomod.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/20 8:37 a.m.

Glad to hear you still have the kart business and the stimulus helped. Good luck selling your toys.

A Cayman sounds like a great platform, shorter journey to enjoyment. Based on the PP story you enjoy planning, creation, fabrication and troubleshooting.. so a more complicated path (Datsun) may be more fulfilling. Either way sounds fun. 

ps- It's not really why you created the YouTube channel.. but it'd be cool if you you made a video of the Sunday night car scene.   

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/30/20 1:54 p.m.

Operation Empty the Garage is going well. In the last 4 days I have sold my shifter kart, Cr250R motocross bike and both 1965 Harley Davidsons

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent Reader
9/1/20 1:24 p.m.

First off, I'm not upset with your direction.  As others have said, it makes sense and the logic is sound...

For the record, I'm crushed because this build is the one I've enjoyed more than all the others and to see this end without a Pink Panther victory in Lincoln seems to leave an open chapter in an otherwise incredible book.

I "think" I'll be OK...

FWIW, a couple thoughts you can take or leave.

As a former 69 RS convertible Camaro owner, I have a soft spot for that model.  I still miss that car.  Google the "Big Red Camaro" website to see what is possible with that platform.

Second, If you are able to make enough money off the other toys you are selling so you can hang on to the Pink Panther at least for a while, an alternative would be go on "tour" and attend as many events as possible to get the seat time you need to truly take advantage of the awesome machine you now pilot.  Of course the focus would be on tracks that more closely resemble the Lincoln surface and also provide ample test/tune and race time.  You've proven yourself as a real threat to the top spot and your wife is right up there with you.  Now is the time to dedicate the cycles to driving instead of building so you can make the final goal a reality.

Of course you can simply ignore all the silliness above and dive in with both feet on a 510 build and that would be another adventure we'd all get to enjoy.

Either way, I'll be keeping a close eye on you two as you navigate another adventure together.

1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c6SqlxGKV9isBf1zOTmDgl5xzKo6yte75P9YjlZRRMm9TAOVGaZ1aGXum7WSEaOq