bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/20 11:57 a.m.

This won't do.  

Little off the top please?

linkinparker445
linkinparker445 New Reader
5/24/20 12:10 p.m.

I'm curious about that fm modulator bluetooth adapter.  Does it have the ability to play through USB, aux cord, or bluetooth?

bonylad
5/24/20 1:24 p.m.
linkinparker445 said:

I'm curious about that fm modulator bluetooth adapter.  Does it have the ability to play through USB, aux cord, or bluetooth?

I'll update once I get it. I'm not sure though it states only Bluetooth audio.  Which is all I wanted. I'll show pics once it arrives. 

bonylad
5/25/20 11:16 a.m.

Well. This isn't right. Truck is running rough. Miss on cylinder 6. Checked all the obvious. Even checked fuel system for pressure and all that. Came out good. So I'm hoping it's cause my thermostat is stuck open and the ect thinks it's 51 out. It's actually closer to 70 but with the iat reading this and the ect reading that.......all sorts of funky fueling and timing are happening. Not to mention I'm still probably running out the dregs of old/bad gas. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/20 11:28 a.m.

How the fuel filter? And the injector? If you're getting bad gas moving through the system, stuff can be clogging.

And a clogged fuel filter can show good pressure when fuel flow demand is low. Just keep in mind.

bonylad
5/25/20 12:10 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

How the fuel filter? And the injector? If you're getting bad gas moving through the system, stuff can be clogging.

And a clogged fuel filter can show good pressure when fuel flow demand is low. Just keep in mind.

Its a new factory filter.  Pressure was verified in spec with a on rail gauge as well as leak down test.  Injectors is new along with the whole spider assembly as it was converted to mpfi.  My foreman said it was fuel fouling out.  So between all this and the system going nuts with fuel and timing it's possible it's washing it out and missing due to that.

bonylad
5/26/20 11:22 a.m.

So the other day I filled it up with distilled water and rad flush. Drove it awhile and today I flushed it. To all the eco friendly people I did this after draining and flushing it with distilled water then distilled water and flush. So it was basically dirty water. I have the container filled with the bad stuff I need to properly dispose of. Did this on the side of the house so it wouldn't leave a mark. Either way. Using the prestone flush kit which enabled me to back flush the heater core I got this. 

Which turned into this. 

Didn't take a after pic but it's all clear water. Engine was running and hose wasn't tuned full blast cause I heard that can rupture the heater core.

Time to fill with the good stuff!  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/20 11:25 a.m.

IAT seems out of line at 129 vs ECT of 41 and 51

bonylad
5/26/20 2:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

IAT seems out of line at 129 vs ECT of 41 and 51

Yeah, New one is on my desk!

bonylad
5/27/20 6:55 a.m.

Got the ECT thing fixed.  It starts a whole lot better now. Still missing on 6. So I have a couple options. 

1. Run it out of gas to make sure all the bad stuff is out of there. Fill with fresh and hope for the best.

2. Do a compression test and see what my results are - because its still on 6 only. 

3. Pull the upper back off to make sure the MPFI is installed right.  Im inclined to belive it is, but.......

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/27/20 7:33 a.m.

Yea, just on 6 seems weird for bad gas. 

bonylad
5/27/20 8:06 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

As it was explained to me by the foreman, its possible as thats the lowest  point in the injection assembly and the most likely place for trash or water to accumulate.  After this its likely a compression test and see whats what. 

Was suggested a clogged cat can cause this as well.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 8:10 a.m.

P0306?  i'd start by switching the #6 and #4 spark plugs, and the #6 and #5 spark plug wires.  if it throws P0306 again, it's fuel or air.  If it throws P0305, it's the plug wire.  If it throws P0304, it's the spark plug.

bonylad
5/27/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Plug showed signs of fuel fouling on 6. Replaced with new plug - condition persists.

Ill see what I can do about switching wires to make sure, when we were looking at the fuel the other day he checked for spark on cylinder 6 and had no issues with getting good spark. Fuel pressure and leak down were in spec. Active misfire on cylinder 6 with tech 2 in misfire data. 

Its either something I have done, or not sealed. Recent thing is its having a higher than normal idle. Which leads me to think a vac leak could be a factor.  

EDIT- No vac leaks that I can find. Adjusted the idle stop screw and that seems better. Going to perform and injector balance test with the tech 2 and compression test.  Worst case I have to pull the heads and find a leaking lower intake gasket. Even then at that point I will probably clean the heads up and maybe put a cam in?

bonylad
5/28/20 6:50 a.m.

Didn't get a chance to do the compression test last night. Will today at lunch. 

Foreman found the control wire for #6 was partially depinned on the injector manifold. He fixed that but its still missing. Could just be a fuel fouled plug at this point.  I have the new plug that was in it, I cleaned it and after a comp test (depending on what it says) I will fit it back in.  

Strange thing though. Using the tech2, the misfire seems to go away above 3K RPM.  Why?  

So its either- (not ranked in order of "God I hope that's all it was".

1. Fuel fouled plug from the injector harness partially depinned

2. Low compression on 6 for whatever reason

3. Lower intake manifold gasket leaking internally

4. Possible catalytic converter (foreman has seen that before, actually cause a misfire like this)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
5/28/20 7:44 a.m.

Often a misfire seems to go away at high rpm but only because you can't sense it anymore. 

If tech2 is reading no more misfire, either the engine isn't sensing it (likely, as I don't know how this motor measures misfire), or it is actually going away. If it is actually going away, I'd look at fouled plug or coil. Maybe try making the plug gap a bit smaller? If that make the engine run better then it confirms the theory of a weak spark. That could be coil, plug wires, etc.

Does this car use a single coil and a distributor cap? Or are there 3/6 coils?

bonylad
5/28/20 11:47 a.m.

Well. 

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 6

As it's been suggested by the foreman here. It sounds like carbon on the valves. He's said try this first before I condemn it. Either rebuild or 305/350 swap it.  

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/28/20 1:28 p.m.

I'd do the top end cleaning then give it a full Italian tune-up and recheck the compression. Unless it's been subjected to grievous abuse or neglect, they seldom do anything short of a 300k mile lifespan.

bonylad
5/28/20 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Waiting for the cover of darkness before I smoke out the whole neighborhood. Don't want to upset any neighbors and the hoa. May be hopeful thinking but the two parts I did add seem to have helped. That's the oil and fuel parts. Will update after I do the clean tonight. Btw. The misfire according to the tech 2 does go away over 3k. I reset the graphic and it's clear. Once it drops below it starts again.  Thanks!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/28/20 8:09 p.m.

Your thread is making me wish I didn’t sell my rust free 2003 S10 to my brother, although mine did only have the craptastic 2.2 liter in it.

bonylad
5/29/20 7:26 a.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! Its frustrating me right now, but hope I will figure it out.

bonylad
5/29/20 7:31 a.m.

So after doing the cleaner service, my optimism was misplaced. It seemed to run better, but that must have been hope.  Unlike the movie, hope doesn't float.

I asked my dad about something which piqued my interest. He mentioned he had to replace the radiator once on this truck, and the truck was on the side of the road.  Did it overheat?  If so can a head gasket be the cause of my concern?

I have no visible leaks, I have no cross contamination that I can see (oil in coolant and vice versa). I studied this and found head gasket failure on a 4.3 wasn't uncommon. Its possible its leaking between cylinders. Or the head is cracked - or something else such as bent valves or more carbon I cant get to?  All of these questions require the head to come off. If I am doing one, I may as well do both.  Sooooooooooo.  The truck runs amazing when its not missing, and the engine itself is clean. I may entertain a swap later, but for now. I think I will just fix this mill.  Stay tuned!

I started to suggest seafoam, but the products you're pumping through there seem to be similar.

Those spider type injectors are weird. I once hydrolocked a Suburban with fuel, and caught it on fire several times before getting approval to spend the scratch on a new spider, which eventually fixed the problem. 

Keep at it, you are doing good work.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 7:37 a.m.

Have you checked valve lash adjustment? I had one have a rocker loosen up and drop a cylinder. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 8:37 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Have you checked valve lash adjustment? I had one have a rocker loosen up and drop a cylinder. 

x2 compression depends on a lot of things

1 2 3 4 5 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dK92lpHcyKxFwJl8J3o1smaZu9AWu5BOxGr9PgXCa1gcw7N6z5wctJ6SW5y1avmI