1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/1/22 9:28 p.m.

I did google just silver steelies, and even more of a gun-metal gray/silver, and even a bronze center.  I think all silver just still looked too stock.

If they were massively widened, yeah, I think an all-silver would rock.  These aren't huge wider, so playing a silver lip coloured center works better.

The nice thing about wheels, is if you change your mind, it's an easy scuff and re-spray.

Tires coming are a 195/55R15 Kumho.  Should sit reasonably square on the rim, but won't mess up the speedometer as they are the same diameter as stock.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/22 3:48 p.m.

Thanks for the wheel writeup, they look great!

I think I'm going to do the make-two-wheels-into one method, I don't have a slip roller and Princess Auto wants $200 for one. Downside is I don't think I can add much width that way, maybe 1.5" I'm surprised you were able to find wheels that were 15x6 to start, most 15" steels I'm finding are 5.5" wide

4/3/22 11:01 p.m.

Oh.  Now you got me worried.  I never measured the wheels before....

Just checked - they're 7" wide now for sure (grin).

Whew!

(Video is ready to upload, ,just waiting to get the tires on and mounted. Tee-hee!)

4/11/22 8:12 p.m.

Tires finally arrived.  I put them on today and inflated them just to make sure the wheels hold air.  I did the soapy water and there were no bubbles, but we'll see if they hold overnight.

195/55R15 looks beautifully square on a 15x7.  Pics tomorrow (if all goes well)!!

4/12/22 8:10 p.m.

Wheels make the car.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/12/22 9:01 p.m.

Wish I could give you an extra upvote, that's hot!

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/12/22 9:20 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Went from a drab pregnant roller skate to a smexy pregnant rollerskate!

I wish I had more than two thumbs up to give!!!

4/15/22 11:48 a.m.

Nothing is sketchier than driving home on wheels you just finished cutting in half and welded back together.

Still appear to be holding air, so that's good.

Really pleased with the 3/4" rear sway bar, although I'd still like it a lot more tail-happy.  While I'm tempted to build a 7/8" bar, it is really really really planted with this one.  You really have to push it to get drop-throttle-oversteer, which is probably a good place to stop on rear roll resistance.  Still....

The Manzo springs are about the limit of "drop" vs "stiffness." If you want to go any lower, you really need to go stiffer.  I might recommend cutting off 2/3 of the front bumpstops instead of 1/2.

Super Pro out of Australia sells polyurethane bushings, as well as offset bushings for more caster.

I really, really, need to stop going down the rabbit hole on every car I own.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
4/15/22 12:51 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

I really, really, need to stop going down the rabbit hole on every car I own.

For our sake, no you don't. This rules! Love the widened steelies. 

4/16/22 10:51 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/22 11:50 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Another great video. Dude you crack me up! 

4/16/22 12:09 p.m.

Now in rabbit hole of the Skinny G squarebody thread. Will probably read the 61 Apache thread when I'm done with the squarebody.

4/16/22 12:57 p.m.

I'm interested in your feedback on those threads.

4/16/22 5:25 p.m.

I'm interested in your feedback on those threads.

You have a way with words. Always entertaining and informative / instructional. Makes sense given your career and your duration in said career. Squarebody build was great. I definitely felt your pain in the number of times the trans came out to chase that vibration.

4/19/22 9:16 p.m.

Here you can see the difference in lowering with the co-worker's Accent.

5/10/22 8:54 p.m.

7.3L/100km.

Lovely steering response.

Firm, but marginally supportive seats.

Bought a single-DIN triple-gauge package that doesn't fit the goodie pocket beneath the stereo, so I'm going to have to fabricate something.

Also picked up a pair of cheap-o Princess Auto 5x7 for the back speakers (factory ones sound blown).  Not installed yet.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/10/22 9:31 p.m.

I'm glad to hear a relatively positive experience with Manzo springs. I'm building a little car right now that doesn't offer me many options so I ordered a set of Manzo springs for it. I was going to order Megan Racing springs, but to be honest I think they are the same thing as the cheap Mazno springs but with an elevated price tag for that name brand. 

5/11/22 12:02 a.m.

I have heard that Manzo actually IS Megan Racing, but without the warranty.

No complaints about the springs at all. They seem properly engineered, the balance is good, and the height to spring rate is a good balance for a street car (they are too soft for competition, in my opinion, but perfect for a street car that needs to sit right).  I may trim a quarter coil or so off the back just to correct some "rake."

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/12/22 3:43 p.m.

I have heard that Manzo actually IS Megan Racing, but without the warranty.

I received my Manzo springs today. They were right at half price compared to Megan Racing springs. Look carefully at the label on the box...Megan....

5/14/22 9:32 p.m.

Well that's cool!

I'm still getting used to the very low gearing.  If I shift at 2500rpm, I'm in 5th by about 60km/h (37mph). This follows the "shift light" on the dash.  In most cars I'll shift into 2nd to take slow corners on the street, but this can do it in 3rd. Starting off in 2nd is fine, too. Pulls hills on the highway just fine in 5th, unlike other 4cyl economy cars I've had. This is... odd. And yet cool, too.

I pulled the K&N filter out and replaced it with your basic parts store filter.  It appears the K&N "muffled" more.

I love the nimble steering and small turning radius.

5/30/22 1:13 a.m.

At a 50% off sale at Pick-N-Pull, I bought a stereo bezel so I can try and adapt a gauge trio in the "goodie box" under the stereo.  Also picked up a new driver's seat because the left bolster was crushed and the upholstery was wearing through.  Shampooed the interior (and the new driver's seat) today.

Look how small the Locost is to the Accent!

There was an Accent SE there, the shifter knob was gone, but the nice steering wheel, bigger front sway bar, and other bits were there.  I debated pulling them, but did not.

7/26/22 8:59 p.m.

Noticed what felt like "hint" of surging at cruise after a new Knock Sensor (threw a code, that's why), and a new O2 (because why not).

Then it developed a misfire at idle, but ONLY when the AC was on.  No codes.

Google-U says these are notorious for coil packs going south, but a lot of others say the plug gap is too wide. On my website I recorded that I gapped them at 0.040" (spec being 0.044"), so to test I pulled the plugs and dropped them down to 0.032".

No more issues at all.

Weird.

And, last fuel-up was 6.0L/100km, or 39mpg.  Couple of nice highway trips in there.

7/29/22 9:31 p.m.

No more issues at all.

Nope. Spoke too soon.  Coils on the way.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
7/29/22 10:37 p.m.

They ARE notorious for blowing up ignition coils.  I was a Hyundai tech from 2005-2014 and I put loads of coils on those cars under warranty and out of it.  I always liked them though, the hatches not the sedans.  At the same time I was bitterly disappointed they didn't follow through with the Accent SR concept car aside from a crappily made lip and side skirt kit.

9/10/22 7:54 p.m.

Replaced all four coils recently with NGK.  They came in a box of four, which tells you something.

Also cut more off the rear coils, for a total of 3/4 coil off the rear, I now have about 1/4" chassis rake.  Had over an inch with these lowering springs when they went in. I figured they had enough time to "settle", but didn't seem to be settling any further.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TksxD4IY5zVZbZQR49UGvfzizx9JyQPvnkdM8y3qDgOxr4F8ZiBsLc1BmUxWhvWR